8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000H vs Sankyo1000H

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000H vs Sankyo1000H
Lili Bernard Ferguson
Junior

- posted April 12, 2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Lili Bernard Ferguson   Email Lili Bernard Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of transfering silent Super-8 to digital video, which one would you recommend over the other: the Sankyo 2000H or the Sankyo 1000H and why? I have an option of using either. Also, has anyone had any luck using an Elmo ST600 or Elmo ST800 for sound video transfer? I heard you have to open them up and adjust (with a screw driver) these two disks or potentiometers in order to get to the 20fps. Would you reccomend doing this and if so which would you recommend over the other, the Elmo ST600 or the 800? Or is it better to just forget about the sound (if I don't really need the sound) and just stick with an external variable speed dial, like with the Sankyos? Also, can I play sound Super-8 reels on the Sankyo 1000H & 2000H, understanding that I won't get sound? Sorry for my infantile questions. I'm new at this and it's my first time on the forum. Thank you ahead of time for your response and your explanation. God bless. [EMAIL][/EMAIL]

|  IP: Logged

Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lili

Welcome to the forum!! You have come to the right place. If your question can be answered, one of the guys here ought to be able to do it. I'm new to the forum also.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, I've only transferred using Elmo's TRV units.

I've found a lot of information by going back and reading the previous threads.

LOL,

Dick Lee

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2004 10:25 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
What's more important than the projector you use is understanding the process. NTSC video (since you're in LA) is 30 fps (nominally, it's actually a little slower with color--29.97 due to the subcarrier of 3.58 mhz) So you need to get the film and video to a common rate. Your 3-blade shutter will yield 60 interruptions per second at 20 fps. To do sound you need a five blade shutter (5 x 24 = 120) and old silent film a four blade shutter (4 x 15 = 60).

The next important step is that of quality. You can use one of the cheap "transfer boxes" and you'll have a flicker free transfer but with a loss of sharpness, color, contrast and you'll wind up seeing the pattern in the ground glass.

To approach the "professional" level you need to go to an aerial image method. There is a guy on the web that sells the necessary pieces to do this, but costs start going up.

It all boils down to how much of this you have to do. If you only have a few reels then you'll be better off and save money by sending it out (See the Transfer Station in Reseda for example).

If you plan on doing alot, then you should investigate high quality equipment than consumer projectors. The Elmo unit mentioned above is a mid point unit.

John

Lili Bernard Ferguson
Junior

- posted April 13, 2004 03:16 AM      Profile for Lili Bernard Ferguson   Email Lili Bernard Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Dick & John,

Thank you so much for your responses! John, the information you shared is invaluable. I'm trying to digest it -- have got so much to learn about Super-8 and film to video transfer. I purchased a mint condition Sankyo 2000H and accessories (for $125). My goal is to transfer (by the most economic means) a few short scenes from some Super-8 home movies onto my digital cam -- so I can bring them into my computer and edit them into a documentary I've been working on solo. I edit at home on Avid Xpress, which I may soon be upgrading to Avid Xpress Pro. I'm one of those grass-roots-no-budget-artsy-indie LA filmmakers. I imagine that (should my results in my at-home Super-8 to digital video transfer look mediocre), I will take you up on your advice on getting the scenes transferred professionally. I don't need sound on these particular scenes. In the future I may need sound from Super 8 scenes and will look into purchasing a good Elmo. Some of my old home films have sound others are silent. In the meantime, at least I have a projector from which I can choose the scenes that I will want to have transferred professionally. It will also be fun to use the projector for sheer movie viewing pleasure. I did however want to ask you about the changing of the shutter, if I understood you right. How on earth do you do it on a Sankyo 2000H and is it costly and necessary for my at-home attempt? Thanks for your feedback and for your patience with regard to my not knowing. Have a blessed day. Lili

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 10:07 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Every projector is going to require it's own "tear down" to remove and replace a shutter. I found some old Bell & Howell projectors the easiest to do the work on but had to rebuild the drive system since they had a rubber drive wheel on the edge of the shutter. When redone they were driven by a sprocket belt off the main drive shaft.

Most will take some machine work to make a few new parts, that's why I recommend going to a source that does the work unless you have a lot to do or are dealing in government security work.

In your case I would suggest you have the transfer made to DV tape so you don't have to "re-digitize" the image into your editing program. Once it's in your computer you can fade, color correct, title and just have a great old time.

John

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
which one would you recommend over the other: the Sankyo 2000H or the the Sankyo 2000H or the Sankyo 1000H and why?
I made a transfer before using the 2000H. I haven't had any experience with 1000H, but I heard the image projected on the 2000H is more stable. Also, you will need more light if you project the image on the wall. 2000H is better for the job since it uses 100W compared to 50W on the 1000H.

quote:
Or is it better to just forget about the sound (if I don't really need the sound) and just stick with an external variable speed dial, like with the Sankyos?
Yes, stick with eh Sankyo's if you don't need the sound because the Sankyo's have variable speed control.

quote:
Also, can I play sound Super-8 reels on the Sankyo 1000H & 2000H, understanding that I won't get sound?
Yes. No Problem.

Lili Bernard Ferguson
Junior

- posted April 13, 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Lili Bernard Ferguson   Email Lili Bernard Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie and John -- My Fellow Californians,

Thank you so much for your responses! I really appreciate your helping me in my grassroots, novice filmmaking efforts. I've learned much from your comments. God's Love and Peace to you. Lili

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC