8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Armchair Odeons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Armchair Odeons
Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading past threads and I came across the term "Armchair Odeons". Would someone please tell me about them. [Razz] If they are what I think they are I would sure like to pick them up.

Thanks and God Bless

Dick

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 12, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick,
The Armachair Odeon videos are great. They are all about the film collecting scene in the UK, showing home theatre set ups, Britich film conventions, dealers shops, and much much more. They are expertly produced by Keith Wilton of Filmtek, who runs the BFCC with John Clancy. You can find details on the BFCC website. I have six of the series and they are all outstanding, and essential viewing for the super 8 film buff.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, sounds like just the ticket.

Another question. Do you remember a British TV show by the name of "The Human Jungle"? Appears to have been a 1hr show. Star is Herbert Lom. Sounds interesting. Here's the web page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63821&item=4181865244&rd=1

I also collect TV shows and I don't have a British Show, wondering if this was a good one?

Dick Lee

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Armachair Odeon series still available. I had a few of these at one time and loved them. Id love to get the complete set.

Thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 13, 2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
I am sure that Keith Wilton can still supply new VHS copies of the Armchair Odeon series. Go to the BFCC web page and go to Filmtek, you will find contact information there for Keith. Just make sure to tell Keith that you want NTSC versions, not PAl. Incidentally Keith has produced many more collectors videos since the Armchair series, covering such subjects as 3D movies, Widescreen processes, and movie palaces. I have'nt seen them all, but the reviews have all been great. Keith is the undisputed king of super 8 film collecting, writing the super 8 film review section in "Film for the Collector" magazine. Unfortunately he never posts on this forum.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul thank you. I will definitely give him a shout [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2004 04:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith's planning to re-visit the Armchair Odeons series for a DVD special of some sort.

Not that I should really mention it but I already have the original four episodes of Armchair Odeons on DVD. They're not ready for release as such though because the series started ten years ago and was shot on Hi8 with the masters being transferred. Not quite the picture quality you'd expect for a DVD release but it's still pretty good so Keith needs to find the original masters and transfer those to disc from there; then find all the sound masters and sync' those up etc. etc. etc..

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sendt an email to him yesterday:)

I enjoyed the few AO I had so much that I dont mind tape or dvd. Im grateful just to be able to get my hands on them again.
Myself and film collecting friends would get together and watch these and they brought great entertainment. Its amazing to see what people have done in their theaters. Amazing and full of clever ideas. These also serve as a learning tool for the beginner just getting into the hobby.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC