8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical sound problem.ST1200Hd

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optical sound problem.ST1200Hd
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 13, 2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago i had a problem where i lost 90% of my volume on optical playback with the addition of a lot of hiss. I had it looked over and repaired by a well known repairer in Stoke on Trent.All was fixed & returned working fine, the fault was an ic had gone down and as a new one was NLS he had a 2nd hand one,the unit was one of the IC101(pt num TA7139P)i think there is more than one of these in the system,(i think [Roll Eyes] ) My question is this,-
as i only own three optical sound films,so its not used that much,am i just a bit unlucky to have the same fault again or has anyone else suffered with this problem. With most films being magnetic & has never caused me any probs i use a pioneer amp for my twin speaker sound and its pretty good. Can useing an external amp cause any ic's to pop or is any other fault known in the elmo world? I am always carefull to ensure the vol switch is clicked off before changing from mag to optical, i cant think of anything else i may have done wrong. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's a link to a UK source for you for the IC

http://www.dialelec.com/741.html

You'll have to scroll down to find your part and I don't know how they handle orders (dealers only or to the public).

I also don't know what effect mains wiring might have on your set-up. Over here we have polarized outlets which make sure that each device is connect to the hot side and ground the same way. Even so you can have a "ground loop" which usually shows up has hum but has the potential of having voltage appear on your connecting cable between the projector and amp where there shuold be none. The safest connection is with an audio issolation transformer that makes sure there is not "direct" connection between the two devices.

It might also be that the technician fixed the bad component but didn't fix the problem (such as a leaky capacitor or a bad voltage somewhere on the board). There used to be a service column in Radio-TV News which detailed problem tv and radio circuits which you could "fix" by replacing the bad part but would only see the set back in a short time if you didn't change or check some other part as well. Hopefully someone with a history of Elmo repairs can address this problem.

John

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 14, 2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks john,apprecite your feedback and the web link, [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC