8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Goo-Gone as a Film Cleaner (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Goo-Gone as a Film Cleaner
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 30, 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect those std 8 prints were 30 odd plus years old but curl they did and very noticeably, quite bad really, affected the projecting and run into the gate as well.Filmgaurd does give you the feeling its not too toxic though which is nice.
It was actually the first time I had that happen to me and did things the same way I always had with thermofilm and 222 etc, I`ve had it in a smaller way with the derann stuff since, that just tends to pull the edges in as it were.
I found filmrenew Ok on B+W film just the smell very hard to deal with, its makes me very ill.Like rotten flu and all dizzy etc and off colour for hours without much breathed in at all.
Have you used xecote 2 then brad, as its supposed to be OK.
Best Mark.
PS is there anything besides filmgaurd that leaves a film on the film as it were.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 31, 2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had prints color get damaged with XeKote. I don't recommend that product at all. If you are looking for a gate or film cleaner, most anything else on the market will do a better job.

There are no other slow drying cleaners on the market. FilmGuard has the exclusive pioneer patent on it.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 31, 2004 04:27 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that advice brad as all I`m doing now is older super 8 digests at the moment and the last thing they need is anymore trouble with their colours.
May see if I can track down some old tins of thermofilm.
Best Mark.

Ian John
Junior

- posted July 31, 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A year or two ago, I phoned Classic Cinema (UK) to order another bottle of Cresclean film cleaner, and was told that the company that was making it for Classic had gone out of buisness and had closed down, and that no more Cresclean was available until Phil Sheared could source another company to carry on producing it, but when I received the bottle of Cresclean eventually made by the new company it was different in touch, smell, colour etc, it did'nt seem the same stuff, so I stopped using it.

I still have a gallon of Surfaset film cleaner in my film vault, so I'm using that for the time being.

Ian. (UK)

--------------------
Keeping 16mm Christian Films Alive.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

That would explain it. I agree the current product is not a patch on the first bottle I had. What a pity.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Brad Miller

Please provide details regarding the statement:

(......you set up the pads, thread the film through it and walk away. They provide the best possible cleaning available. No cleaning by hand can compare.)

Is this done while projecting film? If so, does it place stress on the projectors take-up system?

Thanks again.
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 01, 2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

If you go to http://film-tech.com/ and click first on the Products link and then the FilmGuard link, you'll find FilmGuard info.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 01, 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The film is generally cleaned on it's way to the projector, not on takeup. Many other people mount it between motorized rewinds. (Hand rewinds aren't a good idea because of varying speeds and tension.) The cleaning machine is fullly automated. You load up the pads, saturate them and then thread the film through it. As the movie runs, the pads are constantly turning so the film always has a fresh stretch of cleaning cloth presented to it. Simple. [Smile]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad --

Is there anyone who sells a filmguard applicator machine for 16mm ? Or has directions and parts for converting a 35mm system for 16mm?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 02, 2004 05:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Converting a 35mm or 70mm Kelmar cleaner is effortless and the parts you need are at any hardware store. I keep meaning to make a page showing how this is done, but I could give instructions if anyone decides to buy one.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what if you can't afford Film Guard? What about this Googone or Funiture Polish? I used to get this lemon Polish from RED FOX films in Ny. to take out scratches and it worked great. Is that Johnson's FAVOR POLISH like that? And right now I use ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 26, 2010 04:58 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Guard costs about the same as a Niles feature film and lasts for years. Don't take chances with you valuable collection.

Dave Schmidt
Junior

- posted November 26, 2010 07:24 PM      Profile for Dave Schmidt   Email Dave Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmguard is a great product, just wish we could buy it in the 1/2 or 1/4 size of what is available.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you apply film guard? Spray a little on a soft cotton baby cloth and fold the cloth over and run both sides through slowly . Apply a little presure while it rewinds and that is it. Thank you I'm sold on FILM GUARD. I just bought a bottle on eBay under film cleaners. I will be cleaning and lubing all my collection now. Thanks!

[ November 26, 2010, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2010 09:16 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using a product called C-100,which is what photographers use to clean prints.It does a nice job.For 16,I like Vitafiln but will not use it on magnetic prints.There was a product called Clean Images years ago,when I recieved my bottle,the smell and color were real fanilier,turned out it was Lemon Pledge!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 03:15 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the Filmguard link on Film-tech. Does this mean you have to run the film through a projector once or twice, or is it just a matter of time before the streaks disappear?
" There has to be something negative related to FilmGuard. Yes, but it is minor. The first time FilmGuard is applied to a print you will notice some light streaking which looks like water on the film. This is normal and will disappear within 1-2 shows. It is part of the coating process. This is also why I strongly recommend FilmGuard be applied starting on the FIRST run-through showing. This way, the public only sees a perfectly clean presentation ."

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 27, 2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

If I screen a film right after I've applied FilmGuard, I'll see some streaking. If I screen the film a day or two after I've cleaned it, there is no streaking. I normally clean a number of films at a time and then watch them later.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 11:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you apply film guard?
You could always pick up a Film-O-Clean which is styled after the Kelmar cleaner.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC