8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo K100 SM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo K100 SM
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2004 04:47 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chaps

Does any one know whether or not this projector has the capability of being sync pulsed with the Elmo SR-1 or DR-1 cassette player?

The manual for the SR-1 states that it is designed to be used with the SP range of projectors and of course later on when the GS 1200 arrived it could be used with that but I see in a period ad' for the K100 SM that amongst other things it says that it is suitable for synchronised running with a tape recorder. Is this the full lip sync or just synchronised start?

Thanks [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The K100SM is just a variable speed projector. If you want an Elmo with sync pulse capability, there is one on sale in Germany right now. Here is the link:

Elmo SP Hi Deluxe

These are quite rare projectors. There was one that just sold in the US here. Just to give you a picture of the sync pulse connectors:

Elmo SP Deluxe - SOLD

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie

Thanks for the reply, I use my SR-1 with the GS 1200 so don't really 'need' another projector that it will run with but I saw a K100 SM come up for sale locally so thought I might check it out.

Now that you have pointed out that SP HI Deluxe in Germany I will have to watch it and if it doesn't go to high might be tempted to make a bid, partly because it's in its original box and I'm a bit of a sucker for boxes [as Messers Milman, Faulkner and Quinn will tell you] [Roll Eyes] .

Thanks again

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Why did I see that coming. Tell you what, I will outbid you and then break it up i.e. sell the box to you and get my money back (lol).

Anyway, your statement is flawed.....you always have room for another projector

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either none of you won it or one of you made a snap offer.

The seller ended the auction early!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2004 03:18 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was me Ronnie [Big Grin] , see what you started?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 26, 2004 10:41 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.B.S. (original box syndrome) strikes again!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a move.

So are you going to sell the projector to Tony and keep the box to get your money back? [Big Grin]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

I'm afraid there is no cure, I have tried to go cold turkey but the jitters were just unbearable. I just had to have that next box. I think I have most of the Elmo boxes now, I have a pretty good supply from Sankyo too and over thirty from MGM! [Roll Eyes] One or two repetitions have crept in, these I have thought about passing on to friends but you just don't know....... I should hate for them to become addicts too, the shame and the guilt would be just unbearable....

Ronnie

A cruel suggestion, a box with nothing in it [Confused] it just wouldn't feel right, every time I looked at it I would know that their was something missing, a box with an empty heart [Frown] .

I must go now, the nice man with the white coat is filling up another big needle, hmmmm... nice box that needle was in.....

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2004 03:38 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the little projector arrived and there was good news and bad news. The projector itself is in fantastic condition, another one of those that somehow seems to have escaped being used for the last 30 years, there have been one or two teething problems but I shall come to those in a moment.

Ironically, the box, that was pictured in the description had been all the packaging the seller had used when it was sent through the post so what had been a perfectly preserved 30 year old bit of cine memorabilia now has transit stickers wallet documents and customs slips plastered all over it, not to mention my address 'handle with care' and 'this way up' in large letters on the top. Hmmm.... I guess he wasn't to know, but it does seem a shame [Frown] .

As for the function of the projector, when I first plugged it in it didn't seem to work, all the lights lit up and the motor ran but nothing visible was turning. I had the back off surprisingly quickly and found that there was 'slippage' going on between the black pulley wheel and the shutter disc thingy, a little preasure on there made the mechanism whir into action but releasing the preasure allowed it all to come to a hault again.

I pressed on though and slowly everything seemed to slowly come to life and eventually carried on going even when I released the pressure. The extra drag of running a film through it though slowed it all down and it nearly came to a standstill but having been running it every evening since it arrived I can report that it all seems to have loosened up and [once warmed up] purrs away beautifully.

I guess this is testament to the fact that projectors like to be used and sitting in a box just doesn't agree with them.

At the moment I haven't been able to properly try out the sync system because all the sound sync films I have shot with my Elmo camera have been shot at 24fps and the SP will only run sync at 18fps, so this weekend I shall be out with the camera and running off a couple of reels at 18fps!

So, thanks Ronnie for putting me on to it, the little SP has endeared itself to me already and I'm really enjoying using it. Isn't that what cine is all about?! [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a bummer to see that sparkling like-new box to have stickers all over.

Nice-box aside, its good to hear the projector is running smoothly. I had old Elmos before and experienced the same problem. I painstaikenly replaced the brownish grease in the sockets and gears to more modern synthetic grease and all worked fine. As for the slippage, I just swipe it with detergent soap and water if its rubber and IPA on the metal.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 17, 2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice there Ronnie. Poor Mike, you really must find a cure for this O.B.Syndrome before it gets out of hand. Bet you cant get your car in the garage for boxes? [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should see the box my car came in! [Wink]

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC