8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Message for Ugo Grassi (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Message for Ugo Grassi
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 04, 2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been my experience that many people do not know how to package heavy items like projectors for transit. First you need to assume that the package WILL GET DROPPED somewhere along the way. It is unreasonable to assume that the air freight companies are going to handle your pecious projector package with kid gloves. For a drop height of 30 ins onto concrete, and a projector about the size and weight of a GS1200 you will need a minimum of 6.0 ins thickness of 2.2 lbs/ft3 polyester urethane foam packing material around all sides of the projector to limit the drop g-force shock level to about 15g. I don't even know if any commercial cine projectors, such as the GS1200, can even withstand a 15 g shock load( which is the minimum damage threshold requirement for much military designed equipment such as aerospace electronics). I would assume that these projectors probably will not withstand a 15g shock load, and something, probably circuit board electronics or solder joints, will fail under this kind of shock force. So you probably need to increase the packing thickness to even more than 6 inches, maybe 9 ins or more to be safe. I know this sounds like a lot of packing material, and it will make for a very big shipping box, but believe me if you want to ensure safe transit these are the rules you have to follow. This is not my opinion, it's all calculated from the static stress properties of the packing material.

REF: Shock and Vibration Handbook- Harris and Crede Page 4-18, Fig 41.20. McGraw Hill Publishing Co.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 07:10 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
yes I agree with you, but if you see the package I made you don't believe to your eyes!! This is not the first time I make a package for a GS. The package was big enough for the projector more a lot of space around. This time something of unforeseeable happened!
For David: IMPORTANT! I spoke with the customer care service. I'm trying to have a refund for the shipping prices. So, please, send to me the original (made by me) package too. So you have to put the Gs in the original package and this package in on other one (bigger). Of course you have to pay the shipping now, but If I'll get this refund I'll send to you part of this money.
My address:
Ugo Grassi
Via Cimarosa 23
80127 Napoli
Italy

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 12:41 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ugo
The machine has been despatched today and should get to you in 48 hours,ie Thursday.

David

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
how much did you pay for the shipping?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 03:15 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ugo/

I paid £70. One quote I got was £130,another £100 so I went with the least expensive.
Also, I have not included the lens and bits and pieces since this would have just increased the weight.

David

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
the "new" chassis is ready for your GS. That is:
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/PICT0955B

I'm displeased for this problem...
Monday I'll go to the postal office to bring the documents to obtain the refund. I don't know if the italian post will recognize my rights to have a refund. Anyway I was thinking you bought a GS for 1200 and now you are spending 100 eu (70£) more...
I think when a guy spends 1200 euro for GS he has to have a perfect service. For this reason I'll refund to you the money you spent for the second shipping. So for you is like if nothing happened. You'll find the 100 eu with the projector when I'll send it back.
Important: the projector isn't arrived yet. I hope for tomorrow.

[ July 26, 2005, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Ugo Grassi ]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 07, 2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what a Star, thas everso nice to read Ugo. Cine needs as much of that as it can get.
Great to be able to buy a machine of that calibre off a chap who takes it so seriously to make sure you are happy.
I remeber the good feeling I got from Ugo when we were first in contact a couple of years ago and I nearly bought a nice GS off him myself a while ago but the non cine female foot came down sadly, but I know it would have been good.
As I say nice to see and good for the hobby, picked a good one there Dave.
best Mark.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2004 03:26 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ugo (and Mark)

I couldnt agree more with Marks sentiments! Thanks for the shipping refund Ugo,most generous,thankyou.
The machine should be with you tommorow since it was meant to be 48 hr delivery,

David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 07, 2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What a terrible story of woe. Its just a shame I hadnt read this thread earlier as I would have said to David to send it to me here in Essex and then Ugo and I could have sorted it between us and it would have saved another long trip for the machine.
Couriers, they are all the same they couldnt give a stuff about the contents of the boxes they shift about as long as they get them there.
Hope you guys get it sorted between you and lets hope you get something back in way of compensation. Keep all packageing etc. I think though the carriers should really have seen it at Davids address.
Best of luck with all, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Kevin,
you are very polite. Anyway the broken Gs arrived to day to my home (14.00h.)
This was the damage:
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/broken_gs
At the 18.00 this was the state the Gs with the new chassis
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gallery/forum2/your_gs
In the week end my time is for my wife only. So I think I'll resume the job monday.
It's the bigger job I made on a GS, because is like to assemble a new machine.
About the problem with the italian post. I suspect there is a boycotting problem inside the company. Every time I write on the package "fragile" the item arrives broken. I had this problem 4 times on 4 shipping (with "fragile" on the package).
"Poste italiane" is a company of the Italian State. This company works with some private partners. One of this partners works like private company (with his brand) and for "Poste Italiane"...
Anyway I want to arrive "bottom to the this problem"
Monday I'll start a claim to the central office about this my suspicion...

[ July 26, 2005, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Ugo Grassi ]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2004 03:12 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ugo,
At least you have received the machine which I am happy about.

David.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 09, 2004 05:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I call that major damage. It's a real strip down job. Did you replace the main casing or repair it? Anyway I'm sure with your expertise that it will be as good as new nut do let us know how you get on with your claim.
It must have been dropped on its handle but from a great height looking at that photo.
Best of luck with the rebuild, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev. thanks!
I'm replacing the main casing. That one broken will be repaired, soldering and painted, ready if it will be necessary.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 09, 2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like David will end up with "Like new machine". Great job, well done.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kev,
Thanks for your interest in my GS1200. If this was going to happen,im just pleased that its Ugo im dealing with! Aside from the horrendous damage, the machine is as new inside and out,
O n the day it arrived,Ugo phoned me to check everything was OK and of course I had to tell him what had happened.It is obvious he loves these projectors and takes enormous pride in his work. I think it will be well worth waiting for.

David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 09, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
David, your right of course. Ugo does take great pride in all he does and it couldnt be in better hands (except mine, hee hee [Big Grin] ) and I'm sure as you say it will now be worth waiting for. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that the return journey is less eventful.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 09, 2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not generalising but there must be some real bastards working in the transportation/parcel industry. It does not take much of a brain to know that things get damaged when dropped from a great height!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 10, 2004 04:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Adrian, you hear of these sad stories all the time. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
the projector is ready. Now I want to run some tests. I think next week I'll send it to you.
I have a question. The hit was very hard. I don't know if due to the hit the regulation for the lens is lost. I cannot regulate the hold lens with an other one because every lens needs own regulation. Solutions:
1) you send to me the lens too;
2) I send to you an easy instruction about how to do this regulation.
bye

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 11, 2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Or he could take a chance and if need be bring to mine for adjustment. Suffolk is not too far from Essex.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can certainly vouch for the Jedi's teacher's Steak and Kidney [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 11, 2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2004 02:05 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea Kevin!
So this GS will be the occasion for you and David for a little meeting!!! [Big Grin]
bye
ugo

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2004 05:29 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

damages during shipment are increasing these times. I had a GS-1200 with damage during transportation, too and Ugo fixed it extremely well. It really looked as new when it returned. It is very hard (or should I say impossible) to find someone who cares for the ELMO machines so much as Ugo does.

I have had several damages during transportation on BAUER machines. Luckily the ELMO GS-1200 has a metal housing and can be repaired. The BAUER machines have plastic housings and thus a damage can hardly be fixed.

In my opinion the best way to pack a movie projector is to use two packets. I always take a packet a bit bigger than the projector, stuff the packet with flo-pack (some sort of styrofoam snippets) and put the machine in it on it's back. This insures that the feet could not break. Then I pack this packet in a really big one and stuff the big one with newspapers. This has been very reliable against damages during transportation.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ugo,Kevin &Heinz.

I must say Im very impressed and grateful for all the help and sujjestions made since the inccident with my GS1200.
If we go for your second idea Ugo and send instructions on the lens adjustment to me,I suspect ill manage,and if not,then I have Kevins kind offer to fall back on.In any case,it would be nice to meet Kevin sometime.

David.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC