8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How much is this worth........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much is this worth........
Ian John
Junior

- posted October 04, 2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw in a shop the other day a "CIR SUPER 8mm TAPE SPLICER", it was made of plastic with a metal film cutter on the righthand side (much like its big 16mm brother model) with the twin blade tape cutter and more or less a full reel of CIR tape fitted. The splicer is in near new condition, still in its plastic case complete with instructions.

My question is, what price would I expect to pay for one of these
in near new condition, and how much are they new.

All your opinions are welcome.

--------------------
Keeping 16mm Christian Films Alive.

|  IP: Logged

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 03:33 AM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the metal types. This should give you an idea.

Cir 16mm? - $69

Cir 8mm Metal - $127

Cir 8mm Brand New Metal - $70

Here's a plastic one:

Cir 8mm Platic - $39

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also look for Ferrania and 3M splicers as they're made by CIR but marked with other brands.
Sometimes you may find them at low prices on ebay italy. (10-15 euro or less)

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Ciro Splicer "M-3 Special" which blows away any of the smaller plastic/metal designs. This looks much like the one for 35mm and works in the same way. However, because super 8 has sprockets only on one edge (not both like 35); when you turn the film upsidedown you also have to flip it around for alignment. But anyways, of all splicers out there, the M3 Special is worth the price ($450.00 new) and makes a perfect splice everytime. You tape each side independtly. This is not a wrap around with fingers type procedure. I have one and will not use anything else.

Chip

Ian John
Junior

- posted October 05, 2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, Ronnie, Fabrizio,

Many thanks to you all for your educational replies. The splicer I saw is the same as the one on the bottom link of Ronnie's post, only difference is the one in the shop I saw is a blue plastic, so I guess the shop thats selling the splicer I saw, is not such a bargin after all (for a second hand item), but I've bought it now, so I use it for a few months and then go in for a metal one.

Many thanks everyone.

Ian. (UK)

--------------------
Keeping 16mm Christian Films Alive.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC