8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu 708El HTI on EBay! Cool!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beaulieu 708El HTI on EBay! Cool!
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 14, 2004 07:17 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=8271&item=5725901901&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I tried to use the translator on Altavista but some of it was garbled. Does anyone speak German? I think the ad said something about this one not having a speaker or something. Beautifull machine...no reserve. Its tempting but the last one sold for $3900. That is $3899 more than I have sadly! [Smile]
Anyone care to translate further?

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2004 10:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
I tried the Altavista translation page, and it did not work.
So then I tried translating phrases, this is the best that I could work out.
Current requirement: EUR 1,00

Remaining time: 9 days 13 hours of offer duration:

10 days offer ends: 24.10.04 17:54:32 Central European Summer

Time Beginning of offer: 14.10.04 17:54:32 Central European Summer Time

Article location: Bavaria Germany

Dispatch after: Europe

Forwarding expenses: EUR 8,00 -  uninsured dispatch (within Germany)

Description (revises)

To the auction comes: Beaulieu 708 EL STEREO  super projector in the HTI m execution.

Here briefly most important capability characteristics of this Super8 Beaulieu  Powerprojektors: Alternately applicable: normal 150 Watts of cold light mirror lamp or 250 Watts of HTI Powerlamp! The change of the 150 Watts on the 250 Watts lamp can be created with few handles - after exercise - within one minute, if the lamps are cooled down! The Beaulieu 708 EL stereo offered here is equipped with a separate power supply for HTI lamp, which also only on use of the HTI Lampentechnik are attached muss.  (advantage: easier transportation facility!)

Also this Projektor  Beaulieu super 8 HTI projector with a light flap (system Neuman) is  ausgestattet, also permitted with stop of the equipment burning the HTI lamp! - best indulgence for the HTI lamp! Diverse  high performance exhausts provide for an appropriate cooling of the HTI Lampe!  of references: By the exhausts it comes to a stronger noise. By the HTI Lampentechnik it comes also to a certain breakdown irradiation also magnetic sound-purely - uses if -; through ein  the certain "Zirren" itself; in the magnetic sound rendition makes leider noticeable. - this feature is system-dependent! - The Beaulieu projector 708 HTI m  ist equipped with metal coil thorns, so that as a rule also  Metal coils without damage of the coil thorns be used can.

The other equipment characteristics the appropriate Beaulieu 708 EL Stereo!  picture fig. of 18 and 24 pictures - fine adjustable; Stereophonic sound rendition and admission; Hinterbandkontrolle; Audio trick possibilities. Of course also Duoplay with Duoplayautomatik. Publication IC address Funktion.   Capstan drive motor control. Projection objective: Cutter cross after MC recompenses 1,1/11-30mm. A short test before the Einstrellung resulted in: Rendition with 150 Watts and HTI lamp okay; Exhaust somewhat loud - system-dependent breakdown irradiation on use of the HTI lamp.

Insgesamt beautiful maintained total condition! Note: The HTI model has no inserted loudspeakers: are selbig to attach separately - do not belong here to the scope of supply. Despite all enthusiasm for the Technik  taken place the auction of this Beaulieu of projector exclusive as lover  ,  Collecting tank and/or piece of amateur handicraftsman without further warranty! Supply after vorauskasse; Postage and packing in Germany 15.00 euro and Europe 45.00 Euro.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 04:18 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

the seller of this machine is BAVARIA in Munich / Germany.

They are selling the machine "as it is", without any guarantee that it works faultlessly. Generally the Beaulieu 708 EL is a very sensitive machine, which can have many faults. Due to a not very intelligent construction the lens holder can get so hot that the Schneider objective, which is made of plastic gets damaged rather quickly. The complete cooling system is not very good. Please consider this and the very, very high repair fees before you place a bid.

Due to the many problems which can happen with the Beaulieu I prefer the sturdy ELMO GS-1200 machines.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(new member here)
I have to agree with our German friend. The Beaulieu is fine but quite delicate. I own the non-HTI version. It's rather noisy, sound reproduction is average, focus needs permanent attention.
I'm not convinced it's worth the enormous amount of money that's being asked for. Even the regular 708 is priced at 2500 euros in Germany.
But then again, although I'm switching to GS soon, I'm not sure I'm willing to part with mine. It's still a beautiful machine (and a gift from my wife).

Oh, BTW, there's a 708 for sale on Ebay France:
Beaulieu 708 auction

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 05:25 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Welcome to the forum!
How did you come to hear about it?

Thanks for the advice.

[ October 15, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Tony Milman ]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 05:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,

Well, I guess it's the same old story: Browsing the web for informations regarding projectors, films, advice, etc. Clicking one link after another and then I discovered this Forum. (I think I was investigating pros and cons of Beaulieu vs Elmo vs Fumeo projectors). Can't tell you which link led me to this place. Maybe Google. Found that there was a very friendly atmosphere while reading the posts. Waited for my registration to be approved and voila!

Hope the others won't mind this answer being posted here as it is slightly off-topic. [Wink]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 07:53 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jean! Thanks for the replies guys. I think its that green light that always gets me! I think more Super 8 projectors should have come with green lights somewhere....then Video would never have taken over! [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 15, 2004 08:02 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

I'd like to second Tony's welcome. Please don't worry about posting off topic. Every topic is just an excuse for us to attempt to catch up with Kevin Faulkner's 500+ posts.
In only two posts, you have made the majority of forum members quite envious. Your wife gave you a projector as a gift? What a lucky man you are!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean, happy to meet here!
You'll discover this is a forum of friends. Sometime I think we are all togheter in a real room!
This is a very nice place!
Bye

[ October 15, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Ugo Grassi ]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jean-Marc, to the best 8mm forum on the Web. This is THE place for 8mm film collectors, full of knowledgable and friendly people from all over the World. I collect Super 8mm films, and have interest in 9.5mm film and equipment. I particularly like all the beautiful and interesting film equipment from France, such as Pathe, Heurtier, and Beaulieu.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 10:41 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

At the rate Chip is going he will overtake Kev next week

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc

Welcome! As has already been said this is a very friendly bunch of people who love to talk about all things 8mm [Smile] .

We seem to have representitives from most parts of the world now; perhaps I'll start a thread up about just that! [Razz]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All:
Thank you for such a warm welcome!

Douglas:
My wife is also a collector so we do understand each other's little habits (and we know we'll never get each other dull gifts - looking for new presents is always a challenge).

Ugo:
Hi there, great wizard of all things Elmo...

Paul:
I think Heurtier projectors are beautiful machines but only if you want to stick to silent films. If you're looking for anything in particular from France (9.5 mm), I can have a look for you at our next film collector convention (I'll post more details on that later). Last thing, I'll be in Orlando on business Nov. 13-21, so, if you're around, we could have a drink.

Mike:
Great idea! Maybe you could start a thread where everybody could explain how he got into collecting Super 8...

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome Jean-Marc,
How are things in France in the cine world?
Is it still popular there?

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 15, 2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I think it's growing stronger. Well, it's not Pokemon but it's growing stronger.
There's a new generation of young collectors, in their 20s and 30s, attracted by the nostalgic charm of film projection. That's quite a change from the bunch of grumpy old French geezers I was used to meet at conventions and auctions (the kind of guys who somehow behave as if they were jealous of other people having the same hobby and who would kill to get their dusty paws on a reel of some obscure star from the silent era).

Two young guys even opened a shop in Paris where they sell comic books, memorabilias and cine equipment (8 and 16). Steep prices but cute place.
Their website is in French: La bande des cinés

I also think that Super 8 got stronger a few years ago because one notorious french collector of 16mm prints went a bit too far into copyright infrigement, resulting in the police raiding conventions and flea markets to grab and destroy the films. People then turned to the "official" home-movies format. But things have settled down a bit and we can (yours truly included) buy again 16mm without too much worry.

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

I am humbled by your fluent English!

This is as Doug says a generally friendly forum (unlike its cousin on the 16mm side?).

My only advice is don't mention the ___ ___ ___ word (little plastic silver disc thingys)

Tony [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 05:18 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, welcome you Jean-Marc!

To all-

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the Bealeu model that takes the 2400 foot reels?

Was this the last super 8 projector to be distributed main-stream in the U.S. during the 1990's?

Nick.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 15, 2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick,

Actually the Beaulieu has a maximum film capacity of 700m (2,300 ft). And how dare you get us back on topic!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2004 09:03 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Doug- Its a tuff job, but someone had to do it [Razz]

We wouldn't want the same thing to happen to this post as what happened to Dave Robert's "Message to Ugo" post.

3 pages, 50 posts, and counting!!! [Eek!]

Nick.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 16, 2004 04:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony:
Thanks, I was lucky enough, as a kid, to be sent regularly to the UK on Holidays as part of my family used to live in Beckenham, Kent. But you should hear me speak, I sound like Maurice Chevalier in "Gigi" (Thanks Heaven, for little films...)
Oh... *That* word... Useful for enhancing our beloved little mag-tracks, though...

James and Douglas:
Yes, you can fit 700m reels on the Beaulieu (Oh, yeah, that's another reason why I don't wanna part with mine), but the feeder and take-up spools are so close to one another that it's almost frightening. I think some of the plastic reels (Posso) don't fit. Now, if only Beaulieu had done better homeworks (ie - better sound board with optical capacity, stronger motors, brighter lamp), the 708 would be a darn fantastic projector. As of today, it's just a really good one.

I wonder if one could play Dr Frankenstein and fit bigger arms on the GS1200 for enhanced capacity... Superb stereo mag sound (rec/play), optical sound, bright and stable projected image, 110 minutes on one reel. That would be perfect, wouldn't it? OK, you couldn't fold the arms back but, hey, in case of permanent installation, who cares?
(yeah, I know, you can always add a Spondon-type Long-Play Unit, providing you can find one...)

I hear the question coming... No? I'll write it down anyway...
"Why don't you get a Fumeo?" Well, I've been thinking about it, really (or should I say "reelly"). In order to get the nice features mentionned above, one would have to go to the higher end of the range (ie - 9139, 9143, 9145). These are hard to find and quite expensive. From what I've learned, discussing with Fumeo owners, the projected image isn't as stable, ARC/Xenon lamps have a very short lifespan (less than 50 hours on the 9139) and are scarce to find as well. *sigh*

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2004 04:49 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We wouldn't want the same thing to happen to this post as what happened to Dave Robert's "Message to Ugo" post.

I'm embarassed for that topic: please, folks, excuse us!
The e-mail box of David doesn't work, so this forum was the only way to communicate!
My only relief is that in the topic there is a little story interesting for everybody...(the travel of the GS!)

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 16, 2004 04:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean, yes it's great to have you on board. I too agree with the comments on the Beaulieu. I had a 708EL for a brief period and would never have another one. When they go wrong they really go wrong. [Frown] Mine started to have problems with the small motor which controls the speed of the sound drum assay. A very strange setup indeed. The driven continuousley on these machines and the speed is controlled by the size of the lower loop. This is a great idea providing it works flawlessly. The size of the loop is controlled by a photocell and ordinary fillament lamp. Now if that small lamp goes during projecetion of a film all hell lets loose and you cant change this small lamp ordinarily as the machine has to be stripped down to get to it. They do go because mine did.
The recording circuits also have their own strange peculiarities when setting up and trying to use them.
All in all I found it a very quirky noisy machine with just very average sound quality. By the way the sound heads are narrower than on onther machines so some films can play back in a very strange way with a definate miss balance between tracks. Stereo recording made on the machine can likewise be very hissy and missbalnaced when played back on say the GS800/1200 machines.
I also agree with the comments about the lens assay getting hot as mine got quite warm with just the 150W std lamp.
A very nice to llok at machine with quirky engineering and electronics but not worth the high price in my books and thats probably why companies like Wittners send them for refurbishment before selling any of them on to other users.

Kev. [Smile]

PS. Come on Chip not too far to go for 500+ [Big Grin]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 16, 2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

I guess we all needed some input about hands-on experiences, thanks for that! I noticed about the sound head trough being too narrow, some of my prints just can't be projected without producing a very annoying hissing sound. Agreed about the continuously spinning drum. A very odd feature indeed. Fortunately, mine is still working properly.
Ugo and all, as you can see, we're back on topic

Which makes me think of something. Mister Administrator, are you reading this?

My goal, in joining this forum, was to try to expand the little knowledge I had on projectors. I surely enjoyed reading all of the posts (yeah, the 30 + pages...) and I did learn a lot.
How about creating a sub-forum - maybe something that would be locked, preventing any OT questions to appear - with fact sheets and experiences about our beloved machines. We could put our brains together and create the ultimate super8 projector database. One message (filing all the informations from different members) per projector. That would be a very useful tool, especially for newbies...

What do you all think ?

Am'I getting too far?

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2004 02:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-
I like the idea of a super 8 projector data base. But I'm a little slow- I did'nt understand the part about "preventing any OT questions to appear". Could you exlain?

Ugo- Thats quite alright about your "Message to Ugo" post [Wink]

I was just pointing out how sometimes posts can start out something like "fixing Eumig projectors", and 25 posts later, could be talking about glass beaded screens! (or going to the Pub [Roll Eyes] )

Its all good though. It all makes for a more interesting forum.

Nick.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 17, 2004 03:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,
OK, I'm going to try to clarify this.
Right now, we have three sub-forums (8mm general, films for s/t/b, equipment for s/t/b). How about a 4th forum for this database? We could decide who would do what projector. A small team per projector, say Kevin, Ugo and maybe some others could create one post about the GS1200, another person/team for the GS800, another person/team for the Beaulieu 708, and so on, and so on. This new subforum would feature one post (not matter how long it is) per projector but one could only read them, not answer to them in order to avoid chaos and confusion (techy questions about specific features should still be addressed in the general forum). If any new information is to appear on one post, then it should be forwarded (email or PM) to the person/team, who would then update the post.

So, here's a little scenario:

You arrive on the Forum main page and you see four sub-forums (8mm, films s/t/b, equipment s/t/b, projector database).

You click on the "projector database" link and the page that appears features posts such as:
Elmo GS1200
Beaulieu 708
Bauer T180
Fumeo 9139/9120
Eumig S810
Silma S233
etc. etc.

Say, for instance, that you click on the Bauer T180 post (I just cleaned mine yesterday...), you'll see one post that features all the basic elements of the projector
- Super 8 and 8mm
- 12v 100W lamp
- 180m/600ft take-up spool
- dual track sound
- 115v-240v
etc.
Plus a few comments such as 'No bass/treble settings, sound restitution too deep', etc.

I guess that would be the easy way to go without getting into programming a real online database (that can come later [Wink] )

I hope it is clear enough. And as far as I know, nobody has ever done this on the Internet.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC