8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Film Renew" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: "Film Renew"
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 28, 2004 04:52 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think as good as anyhing your smell reaction to a product gives you a fair indication of how it will be for you.
The one I`ve found least trouble is by chance filmgaurd, reminds me more of baby oil, then thermofilm, the newer version.
There`s also a very natural product that contains casteroil a friend has just told me about, as some people are more sensitive to certain things thats very nice and natural and meant to be rubbed on the skin.
Best Mark.
Just need to get the name again
Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 07:03 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, where has your sense of humour gone [Frown]

No one is knocking your concerns for the safe use of chemicals many of which (especially those in the older chemistry employed in film cleaning) were/are very hazardous. Brad is right though, look around the house and consider what is lurking in their first. Widen the debate and include mobile phones and wireless technology etc etc etc.

Cancer is no joke nor joking matter.

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 28, 2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely Tony, we are Besset with things these days.
I was listening to the news yesterday and it said something like 1 in 8 kids have ashma now.
I`m only 37 but I remmeber at school it was hardly any in the whole school.
Its in food etc etc etc, but I`m always aware of the carbon tet thing and how people used to apply that god help us.
Its just a cautionary thing.
Still got a sense of humour, well sort of.
best Mark.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 08:46 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Repent Repent The End Of The World Is Nigh." [Big Grin]

Mark, life is too short to worry, chill & take each day as it comes. [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could we not post a new thread laid out (pardon the pun)

like this:-

Name of Collector Film Cleaner Used Cause of Death

Obviously, the first two categories could be completed now and instructions left with next of kin to forward details as required to Brad.

We could do a comparison on a year by year basis!!!

On the old testicular cancer remark. You don't use cleaner that way Tony!! BUT the scenario is. You are in your cleaning shed using the old film cleaner you get a call from your beloved to come in for a mug of coffee. You come into the house it has been cold you feel the need to have a call of nature.

You go to the bathroom well I hope you do!!

Do you wash your hands before you go for a pump or do it afterwards!! 9/10 men will not wash their hands twice.

So you go with the flow and give your hands a thorugh wash
after the event.

Back down to the lounge for a coffee. Gee it tastes great
as it was cold in that shed. You even get a nice warm sensation
around the old nuts!! [Big Grin]

I rest my case Sherlock [Wink]

By the way, I think "Large Bowel" is the biggest cancer killer
of men. So, no foreign objects up your ass when cleaning films!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Like one one of my earlier strap-lines said...My Coconuts fell off!

This is getting real silly now [Roll Eyes]

Nice to hear from you- thought you had defected to the other forum permanently (oops there I go again putting my big mouth in my foot) [Wink]

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

You mean it was serious in the first place!!

Very busy getting George Bush re elected.

Vote Early Vote Often as the saying goes!!

Mike

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 28, 2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Mike, come on Tony The boys on here have got to get over the forum envy thing good as the other one is. Is it jsut me or is there a slight gather round and harry feeling for the wrong doers who dare to go on the other place!!!!!!!!.
The silvo screen forum is a great place to go and talk about just what ever you want to, its good for film and good for allsorts of things and opens things up nicely to many formats.
This is a great forum too and its Ok to bin any of that niggling insecurity about the hobby, we all know its a bit on the slide, its innevitable and me mentioning that isn`t going to speed it up or slow it down.
Derek from derann said it was dead in the water years ago and the main thrust of it surely is, but we can still all enjoy it and say what we feel and the odd mention of anything other than praise and glory is all part of it. I love super 8 but certainly not foreign objects.
Best Mark.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2004 11:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to view this topic objectively.
Cancer is a serious topic, and it's good to keep a light hearted mindset to break the tedium in serious topics, but not to dismiss the serious implications which can result in chemical misuse.

1,1,1 Triclorethane was a chemical which has been banned here in the USA, and it was the main ingredient in Kodak Film Cleaner for many years.
Another Fast drying Chemical sold here was a product put out by the late Marty Bahn here in the USA, and it was called: Film Miracle, and distributed by Ashland Chemical, INC. in the USA.
The generic ID for this product is a Chlorinated Hydrocarbon. To use this properly requires special gloves made for this product.
This product, and similar products of this kind has been considered toxic.
I am sure some people have used it, and can speak of it today.

The Film Renew is a Stoddard Solvent, which is similar to mineral spirits.
This does not indicate that hobbyists should begin using paint thinner to clean their films? Quite the contrary, because the chemistry in Film Renew is proven to maintain film, and we do not know how mineral spirits will effect film in the long run. We also do not know how the chemical in combination with the film may affect our health.
I am not down playing the toxicity of Film Renew, I'm just stating what I was told.

Our chemistry in each individual is the same, but our tolerance to chemicals may differ, and we must think about providing ourselves with protection. This includes adequate ventilation with a fan to exhaust the fumes away or out of the room, with a good supply of fresh air into the room. Minimal exposure will ensure the best health conditions as well.

Lab Safety Supply is a company that sells Industrial safety supplies here in the USA. However I am sure that you can purchase the proper gloves at any local hardware store, and garden shop which specializes in plant chemicals in your area. I believe it is a green neoprene glove that you will need to use along with the Film Renew.

As Brad mentioned earlier, check out the products in your home, shed and garage and look to see what needs to be tossed out properly in accord with your community disposal codes. Also to understand how to interpret a MSDS is worth while in understanding. I am sure their are chemists and technicians that work at the safety houses which will be glad to assist anyone in purchasing the proper gloves along with a small explanation to the MSDS.

Now what is in that Film Guard, that we should all know about?
[Smile]

I will try to locate an interesting article which I had read about film and plastics, which was written for Discover Magazine at another time.

Enjoy the hobby, and be safe.

Best,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2004 02:00 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Well said.

Mark? What are you going on about envy on this forum over another. That is totaly wrong. Many members of this forum post on the other forum .

I would say that there have been a number of remarks on the other forum directed at members of this one that are far from complimentary.

Justify your remarks please.
[Frown]

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 29, 2004 03:42 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tony its just a feeling one gets sometimes.
I think there is plenty of room for both and both serve a good purpose, bring people to the hobby etc etc.
Super 8 neeeds all the exposure it can get after all.
best Mark.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken layton (on the FCFC) says that WD-40 is terrible on projectors ......it eventually gets "sludgy" which causes gunk build-up and could potentially wreck your unit. He is vehemently opposed to its use with anything regarding film or projectors. Silicone seems to be a safer bet.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful when using silicone. Surfaset cleaner lubricant contained silicone and too much of it on film would cause the film to chatter and skip in the film gate, let alone the ill effects of silicone.
Do not use WD 40 on your film collections. It is an oil, and oil attracts dirt and grime. We do not know how this will affect film in the long run.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 29, 2004 06:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will FilmRenew or FilmGuard have any bad/side effect on the Super 8 mag sound stripes?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not tried Film Guard on Mag stripe films, but I have used Film Renew.
A friend of mine sold me some film with Film Guard on it, and so far I have not noticed the stripe sliding off of the film. I will say, that the film purrs very quietly with film guard on it. I also noticed that tape splices seem to appear somewhat milky in appearance with Film Guard on it.

I have used Film Renew, and have applied it to the sprocket side of the film, and have painted a small amount onto the base and emulsion surfaces for about an inch, wraped a Kleenex Tissue ( generally the Kleenex will not shred) and wipe the film alternating the pad between a pair of hand rewinds. On the return to the original reel, I will use a velvet polish fabric cloth and pass the cloth through the film using the rewinds again. This will remove any dust from the film. Make sure not to apply alot of pressure during the wiping. After that, I will wind the film both ways until the film is dry and it's important to wind loosly, so the cleaner will dry on the film properly.
I always believe that a wet wound film may lead to spotting, warping and curl.

Film Renew is a slow drying cleaner, and Film Guard is even slower that Film Renew.

After projecting the film, it's best to rewind fairly tightly to prevent curl and warp.

Ecco made a fast drying cleaner specially made for mag stripe film, but I did not like how it worked, and did not care for how I felt after using it.

Most importantly, use protective gloves and adequate ventilation.
Dispose of all tissues when done in a plastic bag.

It's good to clean the velvet polishing cloth. This is done by wiping some Film Renew on the cloth with a tissue.
At this point, you would be able to clean the film with the properties of Film Renew when it's on the surface of the cloth. Not saturated but just that the fibers are touched up with the cleaner from the wiping of the tissue.

Washing of the Velvet Cloth is good to do also.- Use Gloves!

Best,
Mike

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 29, 2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Urbanski would be the proper person to verify mag track compabitility on FilmRenew, but I can verify 100% that FilmGuard is safe for mag tracks. You will actually find that your sound quality IMPROVES, because the FilmGuard keeps the heads clean as well as the tracks itself. Any dirt at all produces dropouts in the audio.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, Brad, thank you for answering that.
Being in contact with Larry Urbanski, I guess I'll opt for Film Renew (sorry, Brad [Wink] ).

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 04:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Film Renew is a slow drying cleaner, and Film Guard is even slower that Film Renew.

After projecting the film, it's best to rewind fairly tightly to prevent curl and warp."

Well I'm not convinced I want that to happen. This is the problem we have had with the Derann LFC if used incorrectly.

All these film Lubricants contain an oil or grease substance be it silcon or whatever so all will leave a coating within the machine which is susceptable to picking up dirt. With whatever cleaner/lube is being used it is important to clean the film path after the machine is used.
At the end of the day if my tests show that WD40 is a good, readily available to use item, then I will use it and likwise the same with any other of the products available.
Safety is an issue, and as a lot of people have said before, you use these items sensibly like any other chemical about the house.
Mark, this thread has gone over the top on the cancer aspect as it has on the other forum. I'm sure a little film cleaner used correctly is not going to kill you. You like film dont you? well think of all the people in the manufacture and processing of the film that gives you pleasure who have worked with things over the years which probably did damage their health before the laws were tightened up. All of these cleaners etc would be off the market by now due to the very tight laws if they were that dangerous or contained banned substances. I hate to think what long term exposure to some of those disinfectants you use will do to you?
Anyway to date: Film left soaked in industrial strength WD40 has not suffered at all and the stripe is certainly 100% ok. Its now being left for a full week. A rubber roller from a GS is also now being soaked to see if it attacks the rubber or makes it swell.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
Argh! Don't know what to think, now...
Well, I'd love to read the results of your investigation regarding WD40. That product, I can get from the DIY shop a block away from my house.

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 05:54 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very impressed with the results that Kev and craig have had from using WD40, i had my reservations at first but now coming round to the idea. I have cleaned a rather scratched and very dry film that was very unstable during projection jumping all over the place. After treatment this film has noticeably fewer scratches and runs through my projector as sweet as a nut, with a very stable picture. I shall put this reel of film away and look at it again in 12 months time.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2004 06:00 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my only concern is that I can at least sue Brad if Filmguard fails (when I am 70 perhaps!) [Wink]

If WD40 does leave spots after a year or two then we have a real problem.

Also- when buying films- how will we know who has cleaned what with what! [Frown]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not tried WD40, but I don't like it because it has such a strong smell and is inflammable. For the past year I have been testing AmorAll Lintless wipes (available at any supermarket or auto store for $4.35 for 25 wipes) . One wipe will clean and lubricate several reels of film. I have had good success with this product, having used it on several old acetate prints which jumped and chattered through the projector, but which now run very smoothly after a couple of rewinds through the ArmorAll wipes. I have also found it does a good job of cleaning and diminishing scratches. Also it polishes and lubes the mag stripe, so you get much better sound quality and less wear on the sound heads. So far I have seen no ill effects on B&W or color prints or the mag stripe. And of course this is a very safe product compared with the toxic film cleaners.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...
Paul, which ones do you use "Cleaning" wipes or "Protectant" wipes?

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey these sound good, anyone nknow if you can get them in the UK, hope so.
I have heard that lavender oil is god as well from a reliable source.
Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently using the ArmorAll Lint-Free Protectant Wipes. In the USA they are packaged in a yellow cylindrical box, and you pull the wipes out of a hole in the cover, one at a time. The cloth is lintless, and is already pre-moistoned with the Armorall when it is pulled out of the box, so there is no mess, and the application of the fluid is fairly consistent. I have not tried any of the other Armorall products, which are similarly packaged. The stuff is really intended to put a shine on automobile plastics and vinyl interiors, and to protect against UV degradation of these materials. The box warns against using this material on surfaces where slipperiness is a hazard, but of course this is just what want on our films! Since film is a plastic material I thought it might be worth trying it, and it definately seems to make old acetate prints more pliable and more slippery, and quieter runnning through the projector after 2 or 3 applications. I can't compare the effectiveness of Armor All versus film cleaners, because I refuse to use film cleaners- just not prepared to take the health risks. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried ArmorAll wipes on a test reel of film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC