8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S940 Stereo on eBay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig S940 Stereo on eBay
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 30, 2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mint condition Eumig S940 Stereo has just been listed on eBay. These are superb machines with 800ft spool capacity, 150w halogen lighting, and an awesome stereo recording/playback console. I have the 938, which is the same machine as the 940 except it has analog recording meters, and I can tell you that the stereo sound quality is the best of any super 8 projector I have heard, and that includes the GS1200. The 940 and 938 both have the normal in-line 2-sprocket film feed, and the auto threading is faultless and the machine is extremely kind to your films. The 938/940 were the very best machines that Eumig ever made. If you are looking for a top of the line super 8 stereo projector which is just awesome, you should consider this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11722&item=3856669515&rd=1

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you, Paul! There I was minding my own business, checking out the forum...oh, let's see what Paul's posted....hmmmm, a link.... can't hurt to take a look.....seems to be in nice shape......lots of buttons, cool!.......original box? Mike Peckham would be really jealous.......instructions......"best sound quality"........wait!....my hand......moving towards the mouse.......must stop........"Buy It Now"?.......Nooooooooo!

Remember Paul, it's all your fault. I'll be needing a signed document stating that neither you or Betty can ever tell my wife about this.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 30, 2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,
Well it looks like you snapped this one up! I don't blame you. Believe me, if I did'nt already have the 938, I would have bid on this for sure. Anyway, I think you will love this projector, very relaxing to use after working with finnicky GS1200'S, and as I said the recording and playback quality is second to none. It sure is a stunning looking machine- tell your wife it is a great investment, sure to increase in value faster than the dollar is falling!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buy Doug [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 30, 2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that is the second time the machine has been on the Ebay chopping block. I remember seeing it 2 weeks ago from the same seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11722&item=3853083919&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I assume the high bidder didn't follow through looking at their feedback!
The machine looks nice! And if it sounds like the Eumig 926 it will be impressive.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2004 02:55 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Craig & Alan,

Thank you for the positive reinforcement. My breathing is back to normal.
Alan, it appears the previous high bidder lives in China, and is no longer a registered user. I'll inquire as to what went wrong.

Doug

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 30, 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's this about the finicky GS's??? I could tell you a few stories about the Eumigs too. [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

Good buy, nice box anyway [Big Grin]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 30, 2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
No I am not knocking GS'S- I own two of them and love them both. But you must admit that the GS is a very complex piece of machinery, all those relays, solenoids, micro-switches, electronically controlled motor etc. This of course is what makes it such a great projector- when everything is working right. But judging by the amount of postings on this and other forums, GS's can and do go wrong fairly frequently. That is why it is so great to have available the expertise of people like yourself and Ugo, to keep these wonderful machines running. In comparison, the Eumig's are mechanically quite simple, and therefore have excellent reliability. The Eumig's also, in my opinion, are much kinder to film than the Elmo's, which can sometimes scratch your film at the sound head pressure pads and metal rollers. The only complaint I have with Eumigs is that the sound heads are somewhat softer than the Elmo's and therefore can possibly wear out a little bit faster. But I still have a 30 year old Eumig 820 which runs and sounds like new. And I believe that Eumig used harder heads in the 900 series machines.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2004 02:13 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I really do not understand that someone can be happy with an EUMIG S 940 machine. The speed adjustment with the two rubber plated metal discs is really not very reliable. Many machines need some time before they reach full speed. If the rubber on the discs shows some wear, you can throw away the complete machine. The are no replacement parts (really not a single one) available for the EUMIG machines any more. Before buying an EUMIG I recommend to buy a BAUER studio class machine, which is very reliable and most replacement parts are available.

It is really a joke to compare EUMIG with ELMO. The EUMIG machines have been built for amateurs while the ELMO machines are for professionals.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 01, 2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Heinz,
I am suprised by your comments regarding Eumig. I have always had very high regard for "The Wizards of Vienna". They produced brilliantly designed projectors , manufactured to very high standards of quality, all at reasonable prices. I own five Eumig projectors, S802, S824 Sonomatic, two S926 GL Stereo's, and a 938 Stereo. Of these four, only one (the S802)has exhibited problems with the drive disc, and I have worked this machine to death over the last 30 years. None of the other machines have shown any problems, mechanical or electronic. For the 900 series, Eumig greatly improved the drive disc design, making it very precise and very easy to fine tune the speed control. I have never scratched a single frame of film on a Eumig projector, I cannot say the same for my Elmo's, as wonderful as they are. If results on the screen is what counts, the 938 and 940 can compete very well against a GS1200, except in the area of screen brightness, where the GS1200'S 200W clearly betters the Eumigs 150w lamp. But if you put an f1.0 lens into the Eumig you get very close to a GS1200 with an f1.3. Stereo sound quality on the Eumigs is much better than the GS1200- better base and highs, and zero WOW, which is not the case on the GS1200. Recording is much easier on the 938/940 with the brilliant outboard mixing console, so much so that I never use my GS'S for recording. And I say again, that the Eumigs do not exhibit anywhere near the number of mechanical and electronic problems that pop up on Elmo's. Yes the GS1200 is a magnificent machine ,clearly aimed for the high end semi-professional market, but lets give Eumig their due praise for marketing wonderfully performing machines at a fraction of the cost of the GS1200. Anyway, I hope Doug enjoys his Eumig 940 as much as I do my 938.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heinz, I think your comments regarding the Eumig 900 range are a little unfair. Yes the Elmo GS 1200 is a very nice machine indeed, but I must say that as I treat this Hobby for what it is, a Hobby, I would feel very uncomfortable about spending close to a thousand pounds for a machine that needs permanent love and care. Yes I understand that as long as Kev & Ugo are posting, then help and support is at hand. I neither have the time or interest to start ripping projectors apart to fix this or fix that. When I have the time I like to set my Eumig up and project films, not having a dedicated home cinema, I, like many others rely on taking over a room for our film shows. Can I assume that you have had a personal bad Eumig experience? My Eumig model the S932 could be picked up on Ebay for around the £70 price range, If she ever does die then I will be more than happy to purchase another Eumig and keep the old one for spares. I have been running my Eumig now for some six years and apart from one lamp holder problem she has been faultless. How many times have you pulled your Elmo apart in six years? So in conclusion I am very happy with my Eumig. One last comment Heinz, I thought that everyone on this forum has one thing in common, we all love Super 8, regardless of equipment and film collection sizes. I did not think that their was a class system in place, amateurs & professionals.

Craig
Who is only a Eumig owner & must bow in the presence of the mighty ELMO

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i must admit chaps that i am hoping to be in the market for a Eumig as a second machine, as you say Craig a lot cheaper than even a ST series.

Now i say chaps, this is an awfully nice forum, american run would you know, so no class wars here please. [Smile]

Have a jolly nice day. [Wink]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 01, 2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,
The lamp holder problem you refer to is common to all super 8 projectors, not just Eumigs. All these ceramic lamp connectors seem to corrode or the contacts weaken over time, and you have to periodically replace them. I have found that the best thing is to purchase an inexpensive halogen track light and rip out the socket from that , and then wire it into the projector.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 01, 2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys lets calm it. There are plus points and minus points for both makes of machine. I too have owned Eumigs and indeed have one in my loft at the moment an 802 which has sadly gone into retirement as i cant get it to function properly any more without getting some new parts which seems impossible.
I do agree that the Eumigs were made for the masses and are therefore easier to use etc when it comes to recording etc. I dont however go along with comments on scratching etc. Yes the Elmo's can and do scratch but scratching can be prevented if you know what to look for and modifications can be put in place to stop this happening.
The Eumigs do scratch especially down the extreme edges only you dont see it untill you subsequently project the film on say an Elmo. The Eumig aperture plate is much smaller than on say the Elmo's so you dont show the enitre picture area and dont see some of these scratches as they are out of view.
Its the larger aperture plate of the Elmo which first got me hooked on the Elmo gear. I want to be able to see the whole available picture area this also means slightly less magnification for a same size picture.
Yes an Elmo which is not looked after and serviced can give horrible wow but likewise so can a Eumig and of course as the rubber disc in the eumig wears out so the speed will change.
Yes I have always admired the Eumigs for the good Bass response but the Elmo can also give a good unmuddied Bass and a very sweet trebble. It depends on which particular sound you like.
One last point: Try celaning a Eumig's soundheads without removing them.
Horses for course i think is the right term to use here.
Lets just keep all this gear going for as long as possible in the best way we all know how, and help each other out be it Elmo, Eumig, Noris, Chinnon and so the list goes on. I will try and help with problems on any make of machine.
We will all have our firm favourites for whatever reasons.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 01, 2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I firmly believe the Eumig will be welcomed with open arms (both take up & feed) by my GS-1200s and the Bauer 510.

Doug

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 01, 2004 10:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny man!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, I am not trying to start a machine war on the forum but only trying to make the point that if you are happy with a particular model then fine, that is your choice. There are a few projector models around that I would not even give to my worst enemy, but I do not criticise them or their owners publicly. Heinz, nothing I say is aimed at you personally, but you prefer Elmo, I like Eumig, this is our choice. Doug, I hope you are pleased with your purchase, and hope it gives you many years of reliable service.

Craig

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Ok Ok,

As a former Eumig owner and now and Elmo man (Oh I also owned a Copal Mr Faulkner and a damned fine piece of Jap engineering it was too) I think that we need to settle this in an adult like manner.

With the benefit of independent witnesses there should be a fair comparison made between the Eumig and the Elmo.

Test one. Standing with both feet 2 feet apart, the owner of each machine is allowed to swing the Elmo or Eumig 3 times before releasing the same into the air. Whichever machine goes the furthest on a best of 3 basis is the winner of test 1.

Test 2 Try running it!

Happy days! [Wink]

[ December 02, 2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Tony Milman ]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 01, 2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
You are absolutely correct about the near impossibility of cleaning the sound heads on the Eumig 800 series projectors. The only way you can do a thorough job is to remove the sound head and dissassemble it, and this is about a 1 hour job! However, this same problem does not apply to the 900 series machines, where Eumig totally re-designed the heads so you can drop out the pressure pad assembly at the turn of a knob, making the heads just as easy to clean as on the Elmo GS1200.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2004 01:42 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I really did not want to start a war between ELMO and EUMIG fans. I am not a particular ELMO fan and I think it is not possible to compare ELMO with EUMIG. A fair comparison would be EUMIG against BAUER, because these machines had been built for the same audience - the amateurs. The phrase "amateurs" has been used by BAUER themselves, when I talked to a BAUER engineer at the Photokina 1982 in Cologne, Germany. In fact I am a BAUER fan, ever since my father has bought his first BAUER super8mm movie camera in 1969. The Bauer studio machines (T502 to T610) are the movie projectors I like the best. They are very quiet, reliable and most of the parts are still available.

In the past I had four EUMIG S 940 machines. I purchased my first S 940 new over 20 years ago (it must have been in 1981) from a local photo store. At present I have sold all of my S 940 machines and three of them had the same problem with the rubber plated discs. There are some more things I really do not like on the S 940: Cleaning the film window is very difficult, the red spring which pushes the sound pressure plate against the sound head breaks rather easily, the focus adjustment is rather inaccurate, the spring in the main switch breaks very easily so that it does not lock in place any more and the noise of the small fan (the one for cooling the lamp) can get very annoying.

I really agree to Craigs statement: "We all love Super 8, regardless of equipment and film collection sizes."

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2004 03:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'll throw my two penneth in here now. I've said this before and I'll say it again; with regards to recording all machines vary. I have a GS that is absolutely hopeless to the point that I never bother try recording anything on it. I have another that is good and rivals the capabilities of my Chinon SS-1200. But then I have a third which manages to get good recordings on stripe that no other machine will even touch.

The Eumig S938/940's are lovely looking machines. If I didn't have so many Elmo's I'd be after one. I'm sure they perform admirably too.

But they don't have sync' pulse. Nuff said.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2004 05:59 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, let's widen the throwing competition to include the Bauer as well [Big Grin]

"Professional" equipment only to be thrown by amateurs! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC