8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » PROBLEM WITH SCOPE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PROBLEM WITH SCOPE
Martyn Bennett
Junior

- posted January 15, 2005 07:25 AM      Profile for Martyn Bennett   Email Martyn Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone this is my first posting, i have been reading with interest the postings on this forum for a few months and have picked up a lot of useful info.
To put everyone in the picture (no pun intended) i am in the process of converting my garage into a cinema.
Having just bought a scope lens i find the projected image is too wide for my future screen, i am using a standard ELMO ST1200 zoom lens.
Is there an alternative primary lens i should be using? i need a scope image of approx 7 foot projected at a distance of 17 foot.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2005 08:05 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Do you have your zoom lens set for the smallest picture.I have a ST 1200 with a scope lens and at a 17 foot throw I get a 7 foot wide picture.

Martyn Bennett
Junior

- posted January 15, 2005 08:20 AM      Profile for Martyn Bennett   Email Martyn Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bob, yes zoom is set to minimum, projection distance is 18.5 foot.Just measured it.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 16, 2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a GS1200 with a slightly longer throw, and when projecting in scope, I'd also like a slightly smaller picture than the smallest I can get. I guess the range of the zoom is more geared towards flat films. I know there is an Elmo long-throw zoom lens that would give a smaller picture, but they are very hard to find.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2005 02:48 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you need an Elmo 1.4 zoom lens.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 17, 2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another, somewhat obvious, possibility would be to move your projector closer toward the screen... Now I realize that probably puts it smack in the middle of the garage where the audience is intended to sit, and you don't want anybody knocking the machine over during a feature *shock, horror* :-) But I'm thinking, maybe you could build some sort of platform suspended from the ceiling on which to place the projector? It's an idea, at least.
BTW - maybe I'm misunderstanding the "Elmo 1.4 zoom lens" part here, but I'm not entirely sure how a slower lens is going to help get a smaller image. (No insult meant - purely ignorance on my part.) [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 17, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I believe the 1.4 Elmo is the 25-50mm lens. Good for auditorium use. Im not really sure though. I use to own the super sharp 1.2 25-50. Great lens but I had to be to close to fill the screen!

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Data giving lens focal length, screen height and distance can be found in

this article

Note that the screen height is used so that both Academy and scope formats can be derived. (For full 'scope, 7' wide is 2' 7 1/2" high; that height is given by a 25 mm lens at 17'.)

HTH. Tim.

--------------------
Tim

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic Home Cinema; http://valueservices.org/classichomecinema/ had one of the auditorium lenses for sale recently, might be worth checking with them [Smile] .

Mike

ps. Welcome!

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Martyn Bennett
Junior

- posted January 17, 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Martyn Bennett   Email Martyn Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the replies, i have now got plenty of info to go on.
PS the projectors are in a purpose built projection room that i have built on the rear of the garage so moving them closer to the screen is not an option for me, and i do not want to move the screen closer, my garage is too small.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martyn,
Nice to see you made it on here at last.
I think the f1.4 long throw is your only way out, i have seen them come up on ebay from time to time but it is rare.
Keep an eye on the german site you stand a better chance getting one there, may take time but do come up.
Im sure you had a F1.1 lens of me on one of the ST's you bought, make sure this is the one your not using, although more light output which is what you want, it is a shorter throw lens than the f1.3

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC