8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is lens bloom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is lens bloom?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 04, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! Yes.. its Alan R. posting day! (sorry Kev.. just trying to catch up!)
What is lens bloom? I looked it up on the internet and couldn't find anything on it.
All that came up was Orlando Bloom. Who is he anyways? [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 05, 2005 04:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Len bloom is when something or other contaminates the coating on the lens. In some of the Elmo lenses you can see lens bloom on the inside elements. I was told a long time ago that this was caused by some adhesive that was used in the manufacture of these lenses breaking down and attacking the lens coatings on the inside. It makes the lens look as if its got a smokey coating on the inside when you view it with the projector lamp running.
Very often a strip down of the lens and a good clean will remove it but in very bad cases the only answer is to have the lens recoated.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 05, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you Google around, try putting your search phrase in quotes, i.e. "lens bloom" instead of lens bloom [Wink] as for Orlando Bloom, he's your typical young-stud Hollywood actor having appeared in recent features such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Troy... [Big Grin]

Back to the lens bloom... is that the one that would cause a kind of giant halo to appear around the rectangular projection image on the screen, with the halo somewhat lighting up the entire room?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 05, 2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens bloom makes your footage look as if it was shot with a diffusion filter. The highlights are spread out and the contrast is softened. In extreme cases, Jan's halo effect takes place, similar to looking at a bright window through a piece of gauze.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC