8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » An idea to have DVD's sound quality on our 8mm extracts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An idea to have DVD's sound quality on our 8mm extracts
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have another innovative idea, but I am not sure if it will work. I read many articles that someone in England plays super 8mm synchronized with the DVD to get a superb sound. That's OK for full feature since the duration is the same. But what about with exctracts?

So it came to my mind (eventhough I am not sure if it will work) to edit the original DVD to be the same cut with the extract. For my understanding (if it is correct), a DVD consists several files, i.e. the picture (movie), sounds, and subtitles. So what we need is a software that could edit the picture (only) by cutting and pasting style (like we did in MS Words) to have the same picture with the extracts' version. I believe (again this is my humble knowledge) if picture has been edited then the sound will also follow the picture, since despite it is in different files but attached to the picture. The next step is to re-burn the DVD. If it succeeds then we don't only get Dolby Digital/DTS but we also get various Dubs (languages). Moreover, if we can disable the picture from the DVD player and only show the subtitle (again since it comes from a different file), therefore by combining Super 8mm with an LCD projector, we can also show the super 8mm syncronized with the subtitle from many languages. What do you think?

I will first transfer my 8mm extract to computer, then by playing the editing software and the transfer at the same time, I can find where I have to cut and paste the DVD. So I need a very user frindly software to edit DVD, what is that?

regards,
winbert

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert,
I personnally use Imovie from Apple to do this. Don't know if there's a similar software (ie - very easy to use) for Windows. I start by digitizing the cut-down or extract in low resolution using my dv-camcorder, and I use this as a template for the editing process. Then I run the dvd through a digitizing card in order to obtain a good sound source. In doing so, I'm able watch both the template and sound source simultaneously. Then comes the painstaking editing phase of the sound source (cut-copy-paste). It takes time and several trials but can give satisfactory results.
Then you need a crystal lock in order to run your projector at constant sync speed.

So, in theory, yes, you figured it out. It just requires A LOT of time...

Wow... Fiji Islands... We do have members from all over the world on this forum.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 10:17 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you end up with 5.1/6.1 Dolby Digital and DTS sound or does the finished result downmix to matrix surround? My understanding is you lose the digital multi channel sound and end up with Dolby Stereo.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, my purpose is to rerecord tracks in their original language with the GS1200. At best, it is 2.0 (ie - left+right stereo). I haven't ventured into synchronizing features with DVD sound yet.
Maybe I'll be tempted after attending the next BFCC's screenings... [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2005 03:48 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Wow, I am seriously impressed! tell us more about the collecting scene where you live

Welcome! [Cool]

--------------------
Tony

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fiji is a very small country not more than 900.000 people here, so the population is as many as people live in Sunset Blvd in California. [Wink]

Not many people collecting 8mm in Fiji, I know only one who does, i.e. myself and one who does hate, i.e. my wife [Big Grin] My wife says that I spare my 30 minutes for preparing the theatre to show a 15 minutes movie (I don't have spesial room). She hates that and prefer to be opted with the DVD. So I work hard to make her love my 8mm film by providing the Digital sound taken from DVD source. Luckly, she hasn't found the cost I spent to buy those movies. She would get mad to know the GBP 250 for one 8mm feature compared to tens of DVD she could get.

Unfortunately the weather here is so humid and hot. Not much film could survive, mostly they have turned red. It is good to have Australia as the neighbour since a lot of collectors reside here. Believe me that prices in Australia are much cheaper compared those in Europe. My Australian mates, please don't get mad because I open this little secret. [Razz]

When people in USA have to spend US$ 10 for K40 (silent) and plus another US$7 for processing, in Australia they sell AU$18 (eqv. US$12.5) for a catridge include processing cost.

Back to my idea of editing the extracts, do you have information about the user friendly software?

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 26, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's why all the prints of "Hoppity Goes To Town" are turning red, then - they all come from Australia... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC