8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My ST-1600HD projector. ;-) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My ST-1600HD projector. ;-)
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan you are to be congratulated for your tenacity [Wink]

Personally, I quite like the reel changes though agree that a 1200ft or 800 ft is better than a 600ft.

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 15, 2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the nice comments everybody (and I mean everybody). [Smile] Now if you saw the real extent of what you call tenacity, you might not be so quick to congratulate me... I am positively mad [Big Grin] But jokes aside: faster rewind...hmm... I agree it looks VERY impressive to watch large reels do the "spin cycle" but I actually prefer that it not go too fast for fear of damaging the film in the process - maybe that's silly but I somehow always imagine that the film is somewhat put under stress from suddenly flying off the take-up reel, straight across and onto the supply reel, probably while being hit by the reel flanges - an especially worrisome scenario if a splice happens to be going by - well, I think I'm getting the idea across - fast is good, but when the reels start becoming a blur before your very eyes and you can see right through them, you know it's too fast. [Wink]

Anyway, that's why I need to get those manual rewinds of mine working now, among other things. [Smile]

As for reel changes, well - somehow I just can't get used to watching a movie and all of a sudden it blacks out and I'm jolted back into the reality of "gotta put the next reel on." I want to be able to see the whole thing in one go, and be amazed at the large image size and resolution and all that at the same time. That said, I know some of you (Chip especially, with his 35mm theater projector training of days gone by) like reel changes and running a show with switchovers... which I can definitely respect and appreciate as an art, but just don't see myself doing (mainly because I never have). We all have different backgrounds and different interests/appreciations when it comes to the experience of film, I guess.

Oh, man, I didn't mean to step on the soapbox there. Carry on everyone [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 05:29 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this thread back to life. Jan congrats on your efforts and thinking outside the box. I like the change of gear ratio on the take up, good work.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC