8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » KODACHROME K 40 processing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KODACHROME K 40 processing
Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

today I received a parcel from KODAK Switzerland with 8 processed KODACHROME 40 film I sent to KODAK Germany on May 23rd, 2005.

That was processing as quick as lightning. Including shipment they took 8 days to arrive (including a weekend).

In the past I had to wait over two weeks before the films returned. A big THANKS to KODAK (though they cease producing the K40 which is really a pity).

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 31, 2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still have 9 Kodakrome sound cartridges and when we send then to kodak in the uk they come back from France. [Confused]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I've just loaded my camera up with a sound cartridge, been hanging on to them but I guess now that Kodachrome is on it's way out I'd better get them used... [Frown]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

just got the information that the lab in Switzerland will be closed. KODAK wants to sell it. Further they said that the K40 will be discontinued for sure and the T64 will be the replacement. Due to the higher film speed, the light meter of the camera has to be adjusted. The first T64 cartridges will be available around September/October 2005. There are rumors that the price will be 10 Euro for each cartridge and 10 Euro for processing.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 01, 2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 euros for processing? Seems a bit expensive to me... this better just be a rumor [Roll Eyes] after all, K40 processing at Dwayne's is only $9 a cartridge (last I checked) and the E6 process that will be used for the 64T film is a much simpler one so it ought to be more economical, too.
I'm just wondering if the new film will still come in the same plastic cartridges with those plastic jitterbugs--sorry, I mean, pressure plates? [Big Grin]
And when the time comes... how will we recalibrate the exposure meters in our super-8 cameras? I can just see it now... the likes of us experimenting and sharing our results, and eventually compiling whole lists of 'compatible' cameras for the 64T film... This ought to be interesting, indeed. [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

the easiest way is to use a camera which provides manual exposure. This will cause some experimenting with the correct exposure, I think. I have talked to Mr. Kurt Schacherl, who does the service and repairs for my super8mm cameras and he has told me that he can adjust BAUER and NIZO cameras for the new 64T, as soon as the film will be available. I hope that the quality of the 64T is as good as the quality of the K40, regarding colors, grain and focus.

Yes, the 64T will come in nearly the same cartridge as the K40 (the cuts in the cartridge must be set according to the higher film speed). I wonder how many empty K40 cartridges KODAK has in stock, as left over from K40 production? These cartridges are useless for the 64T.

I have heard that KODAK has about 40.000 K40 in stock. I think it is good idea to buy many of them as reserve and put them in the refridgerator to extend the expiration date. I do not know how long KODAK will offer the processing service for the K40, when it finally gets discontinued.

As you can see there are many questions and I hope KODAK can give us the proper answers.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please tell me what sort of expiry date appears on a recently bought K40 cartidges? I would hope that Kodak would at least guarantee to process up to the expiry date on the last stock produced.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Stephen Kent Jusick
Junior

- posted June 05, 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Kent Jusick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
The situation with K40 is still being worked out. People are negotiating with Kodak and trying to extend production and possibly processing. At the moment word from Kodak is that there will be K40 processing through 2007. Even after that, Dwayne's of Kansas will process K40. I hope by 2007 there will be other alternatives too. Trust me, people outside of Kodak are trying to come up with solutions.....

It seems that Kodak is losing money on the processing. So if Kodak can be relieved of that burden then maybe they will continue to produce K40 as long as there is a (non-Kodak owned) lab that will handle processing.

Stephen Kent Jusick

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2005 03:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is all very good news Stephen.

It's made me realize that if Kodak are not making enough out of Super 8 Kodachrome I would be prepared to pay more for the processing.

I recently purchased 10 cartridges and the expiry is the end of 2005 on each of them.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bo Svalin
Junior

- posted June 06, 2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Bo Svalin   Author's Homepage   Email Bo Svalin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little information about KODAK Ektachrome 64T on http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.the/directory/04_filmm/s8_filmm.php
on german, and no prices yet unfortunately.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC