8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Racine Films - Extend-A-Reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Racine Films - Extend-A-Reel
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, a company (Racine Films) offered a device called "Extend-A-Reel" where one could use up to 1200' reels. Does anyone have it? How does it work? Can you still get one today, anywhere?

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen it, but had heard that they worked great.

The 1200 foot reels had 16mm square hubs, and to my knowledge there
were two reels on a spindle. One feeding and one taking up.
There was also an external attachment to regulate the speed.

This was explained to me a years ago. If I have the details incorrect,
then my apologies.

I have one of the 1200 foot reels, but have decided to hold on to it
for nostalgia purposes.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone has picture, I would love to see what it looked like.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 05, 2005 12:15 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.

I just bought something very unusual on eBay: a set of two plastic 1600ft. reels for 8mm film. The seller assured me that these reels were not 16mm reels, however they do have small square 16mm spindle holes! [Eek!]

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Extend-A-Reel unit? Is the 1200ft. reel also one of those 8mm reels with 16mm spindle holes?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lou Fazzarri , the inventor of the Extend a Reel ..was a friend of mine....his inventions were always well thought out and beautifully built....and yes...he made the large "8mm" reels from 16mm reels...carefully splitting them and reducinng them to size and putting them back together. Those 8mm reels you saw with square holes may have been some of his reels. LOu passed away many years ago...a relatively young man....from cancer. He also put out some outstanding 8mm films....features....that looked as good as Castle films......he did Ghost of Frankenstein and Animal Crackers and a number of Betty Boop cartoons. He was a huge Boop fan.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 06, 2005 06:59 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad.... yet fascinating. I'm thrilled to have found out where those 8mm-look-like-16mm reels are coming from. [Smile] (Have yet to receive them in the mail btw)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jeff Chaney
Junior

- posted November 16, 2008 02:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Chaney   Email Jeff Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to post asking if anyone had a spare extend a reel for sale, but apparently these are more scarce than I previously thought. They definitely made a 1600 size and possibly a 2000. They did not put extra strain on the motor and belts because they had their own motor.

I would post pictures but I don't have privileges to do so, I put a few on a flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/meona/3034427062/in/photostream/

But yeah if anyone has a reasonably priced spare I'd be interested.
Cheers
Dino

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT explains those reels... [Big Grin] I have a couple of them, 1600-footers:

-

-

I hadn't heard of the Racine unit before. The co-axial reel design is similar in principle to my Eiki.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 16, 2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some extend-a-reels with plastic cases. Contact through my profile where you will find [Smile] my email address.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC