8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FILM-RENEW vs. FILM-GUARD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FILM-RENEW vs. FILM-GUARD
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 01:59 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have read quite a lot about the virtues of Film-Renew, but very little about Film-Guard. Has anybody compared the two?

I currently have a large bottle of Film-Guard from Film-Tech, which they say is used by cinemas and other professionals in the movie industry - apparently a full length 35mm feature only requires 1fl.oz. for full and proper protection.

I have found it absolutely superb, and my old Standard 8 'home movies' now run almost completely silently through the projector with virtually no perceptable mechanical noise whatsoever. Not only that, but the image is much more bright and crisp.

Am I missing anything with not having Film-Renew?

"Answers on a postcard"!

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 03:58 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

If you send me your address I will happily post a small sample of film renew for you to try. I am off on holidays shortly but will try to get it off before I go

There are loads and loads of threads on this forum about film cleaners and the fact that some members have been trying a variety of potions and lotions including WD40 and Armourall wipes.

I have also heard of lavender oil being used

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 04:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dave
If you find a film cleaner that suits your requirements and is having the desired effect than stick with it, and it sounds like Filmguard is the one for you from your comments. I haven't tried Filmguard myself but have a supply of earlier Cresclean which has similar lubrication properties and use it successfully on my super 8 films. I mainly use my Filmrenew to relax and loosen 16mm prints that have a wave or warp and have found that allowing the film to soak in a metal film can filled with Filmrenew works very well. It can be used on super 8 and std 8mm as well if a warp is present across the frame that may be causing focussing problems. I can give you some Filmrenew to try yourself when you visit later this month.
Kevin

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 07:09 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your offers, gentlemen, which I gratefully accept.
Address following in private message, Tony.

Still, however, no actual comparisons, though I have looked back over this subject, unless I have missed one by someone.

Hmmmm. Interesting, though. [Roll Eyes] Maybe I'll do a comparison of my own with these samples and report if there's any perceivable difference. My guess is that there will probably be little to choose.

Thanks,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 08:34 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use both filmguard and filmrenew -- they are very different and good for different uses.

Filmrenew is a fast drying cleaner -- best for a) removing filth or goo from prints, b) soaking warped prints. Filmrenew is meant to be used in larger quantities and drys pretty fast

Filmguard is a much slower drying solution - it coats the film and stays there. It's best for prints that have wear that you'd like to obscure -- it fills in the wear lines acts like a wet-gate projection. You'll be amazed at the difference. It will also take off dirt..

Often for really dirty prints, you'll want to clean it with filmrenew, let it dry, and then do a pass with filmguard.

But one thing I aways say -- Only clean prints that really need it -- putting extra chemicals on your prints is never optimal, so only do it when you have to...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 07, 2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, judging from your description of FilmGuard (which I have not used myself), it's very similar to FilmRenew indeed. If anything, the differences are probably minute. The only thing I can tell you is that FilmRenew is the only cleaner suitable for soaking prints. Other than that my guess is some cleaners clean better - some lubricate better - some evaporate faster and others slower. Some might work better on acetate, some better on polyester (although that may not make a difference to begin with). I can say, though, that FilmRenew is very good to striped film, I've not had any sound stripe come off on me even after days of soaking. [Smile]

EDIT, Steven just got his post in while I was still writing mine [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 09:12 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steven and Jan.

'Horses for courses' then, it would seem. My films don't seem to have accumulated much dirt and grime throughout my many years of filming, I guess mainly because all films are kept in metal or plastic cans, and I am meticulous at keeping projector film paths clean.

I just read about Film-Guard somewhere and decided to give it a try. 'It certainly works for me' and would tend to support the comments already made.

Steven, I WAS amazed at the difference with Film-Guard. As I said, the picture is definitely brighter, sharper and crisper! Thanks for your confirmation.

Kevin, if you're reading this, I'll bring over the bottle of Film-Guard on the 21st, and "pour you out a shot or two"!

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 07, 2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For acetate prints you can`t beat filmgaurd, though it can sometimes warp very dry prints, but then again most things can odd times.
Never use derann liquid film cleaner on actetate prints if you can help it.
I had some about 5 years ago when Classic Home cinmea stocked it.
Have to aggree that filmgaurd makes films glide through, must get some from the states or if anyone wants to sell me 200ml or so in the UK, that would be great.
Its especially good on old waltons etc on fuji or agaf acetate which can dry out a lot.
Best mark.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 07, 2005 09:49 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I've said this many times before, but I think FilmGuard is terrific. I originally used FilmRenew and found it worked great for cleaning but if the print was dry/brittle beforehand, it remained so afterward. Films that would clatter through the projector ran silent and smooth after an application of FilmGuard. Just be sure not to over apply. One bottle lasts a very long time.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 07, 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The consensus here seems to be that even though FilmRenew is in fact rather slow-drying (in my opinion), apparently FilmGuard is even more so, and provides more of a lubrication "film on film" to help it glide through the projector's film path? Is that about right? If so, I may just try FG myself - unless there are any objections to using both FR and FG on the same film. Not in immediate succession of course, I mean applying FG on film that had previously been treated with FR but stored away for a while since.

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 03:56 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan --

No problem using both film guard and filmrenew on the same print - but I would use filmrenew first, let it dry and then use filmguard -- not the other way around....

BTW - They're very different products - use a bit of each and you'll see the difference...

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 04:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dave
I'm certainly looking forward to the 'shot or two' of Filmguard, normally I stick to pints only but with a refined brew of this calibre a smaller measure will be something to savour [Wink]
Where did you buy yours from by the way, was it Jack Roe or imported as it has always seemed a bit expensive to me although I understand it does go a long way and effectively is permanent once applied?
Kevin

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone
It has been most interesting all your views about film cleaners
Where can one buy FilmGuard ?

Thanks and regards.

Antonio

--------------------
António C. Mota

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 07, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here: http://www.film-tech.com/products/warning.html (click on the "authorized list" link)

--------------------

Pasquale De Marco
Junior

- posted August 10, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Pasquale De Marco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only used Renovex II which drys amazingly fast.

Does the absence of a reference to Renovex here mean that it is not in the same league as Film-Renew or Film-Guard or are they simply too different to compare.

Pat De Marco

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 10, 2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go to you browsers URL and overwrite 8mmforum with www and that will take you to the filmtech main page where you will find FilmGuard listed under products.

www.film-tech.com will also take you there.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Kev. From all I have been learning, I feel like a neanderthal before all this, but then alas, I guess we all werem sometime.

grunt grunt

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Kev. From all I have been learning, I feel like a neanderthal before all this, but then alas, I guess we all werem sometime.

grunt grunt

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2005 01:34 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty well all been said now.

Thanks guys for your input. I concur that it is quite expensive, but, at the end of the day, it does seem to last a very long time, even with the small quantity necessary for each application. That's why I reckon it is an economical buy.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC