8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ESC / EJL BULB

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ESC / EJL BULB
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2005 04:20 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one ESC left now, so i've swithched to an EJL. Now, I have a small basement cinema with a 10 ft throw on to a 8 1/2 ft cinemascope screen and have been satisfied with the brightness , in high setteing, from the genuine ESC. The General Electric EJL's dont't cut it and are noticably dimmer. I've read the reviews in Film for the Collector and also have heard thet the Derann ESC's are re-badged EJL's. As Genuine ESC's are no longer available what are GS1200 owners using now and what is the next best to a genuine ESC?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 21, 2005 07:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, EJL's are the only alternative. DONT use the A1/252 (250W) as it puts a strain on the transformer and you dont really get more light than a genuine ESC. The filament is designed to cover the 16mm gate. The ESC has a tighter filament bunch to concentrate the light onto the 8mm gate. Also the 24v/250w lamp tries to draw more current than the transformer can deliver with the result that the lamp voltage drops and therefore gives less light. Stay safe and use the EJL's.
What I would do is to shop round for EJL's and try different Brands such as GE, Osram and Philips to name a few. I think the brightness varies between manufacturers.
I have found some of the Philips lamps to be particularly good in their output and eveness.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Kev,

I will try & get hold of a phillips, how do you rate the Derann ESC?

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I am a bit puzzled: my Chinon 350 fills an 8' 'scope screen very nicely with an EFP lamp. In fact, based on that, I'm just upgrading several projectors to 150 W in the expectation of filling a 12' scope screen.

Obviously projector and screen efficiencies vary very widely.

--------------------
Tim

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since upgrading to this GS1200 I have only used genuine ESC Bulbs, it's when I swapped this bulb for an EJL I could notice a drop in brightness. Even with the EJL it is still a nice bright picture. As I have only the one ESC left I am saving it for shows rather than general use.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2005 01:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann no longer stock the EIKO ESC as it wasn't very good. As has been stated many times on this forum, some of us that tested it suspected it as a rebadged EJL.

Tim, the EJL lamp still provides a brighter picture than a 150w lamp of other machines. What Mark was saying was he's noticed a fairly significant difference going from a decent ESC lamp to an EJL. He's absolutely right.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 22, 2005 04:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are two things about about the ESC. 1, I mentioned above that the Fialament bunch is tighter on the ESC than the EJL so it's light is concentrated on the 8mm size gate. The EJL has a bigger filament to cover 16mm. 2, I think the genuine ESC is slightly over run. This would explain the 25 hrs expectation where as the EJL is given an average 50 hrs.
Now if the EJL was overrun slightly which would result in an increased light output I wonder how much extra light you would get.
There is a possibility to overrun the lamp slightlt but I will do some tests before I give my thoughts on actually doing this.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Kev, sounds like a bright idea over-running the EJL slightly. Even if the lamp life is greatly reduced, not a problem due to the low cost and the low setting can always be used for economy of lamp life. Be interesting to hear you thoughts.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
am I right in thinking that the way to overrun the lamp a little bit would be to move the transformer tapping to the next lower setting? Can this be safely done without any danger to the transformer and projector electronics?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is hardly worth the candle. Typically, an increase in lamp voltage of 10% will only hike colour temperature by 3% (say 100 K) but will reduce lamp life by 2/3 from about 50 h to 17 h.

--------------------
Tim

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 25, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, That is one way to do it. I am going to have a look at this by using a Lux meter to tkae measurements. There is another way to achieve an extra volt or so and I am looking into this as well.
All the low voltage areas of the Elmo are well protected by regulators etc so a drop down on the transformer shouldnt be a problem. Do so at you own risk!!!

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC