8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » LAND OF THE LOST SCOPE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LAND OF THE LOST SCOPE
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a topic bound to be fun!

Over the years, I have found little un-intentional scope releases on super 8, mostly because the wanna-be super 8 supplier had no idea what they were working with, so here's my offering to start this topic.

I used to have a little 50ft. black and white silent of Godzilla taking on the "monster of the week" (whatever the monster was, I forget), but I remember being really perturbed with this short film, as EVERYTHING WAS REALLY SKINNY!! I was only ten years old and so unknowing what SCOPE was, but sure enough, that was a scope super 8 release, without being made known that it was. Wish I still had that little gem.

So what un-known scope super 8mm's have you Forum archeologists dug up in the LAND OF THE LOST SCOPES?!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar 'Battle of the Monsters' extract in R8 b/w. This was Godzilla versus a giant bird.

--------------------
Tim

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 01, 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi & Tim,

You're both referring to the two Ken film extracts from "Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster". Ken mistakenly (or not caring) released both "Ghidrah" & "Battle of the Monsters" in scope. Somehow as a kid it never bothered me that everyone in those films was tall and thin. Osi, those titles show up on eBay all the time. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other titles that had the same "problem".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet, (given the time) there will be any number of "Lost" scope titles out there. Everyday I'm being happily baffled with what was actually offered on super 8. Usually my bafflement comes from the lesser known super 8 companys, Thunderbird, for instance, (well, they are known but at least in my ballpark, unknown.)

Which brings up another question, Does anybody have a complete listing of ALL the Thunderbird releases? I'd love to know!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Ken's 50 foot "Godzilla Vs. The Thing", in black and white-scope. Wish I still had that one too.

Nick.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Columbia bw 200 foot standard 8mm sound version of First Men in the Moon which was printed in scope.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! I knew that there must be other lost scopes in the "Land of the Lost SCOPES" (echo's on the reading of the title!)

I don't think there are many, but I wouldn't be suprised if there's a few more out there somewhere!

--------------------

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 200ft scope standard 8 Ken film 'Godzilla Vs. the Thing' as a kid I wondered why everything was squeezed and the egg looked ridiculous, as I got more into the hobby I realised it was a scope print.If it was called 'Godzilla Vs. the Moth', I don't think it would have sold, plus the cover art was nothing like the content of the film, Godzilla was so clumsy looking....

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2015 05:44 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was the opposite done in a process shot in one of the Pink Panther movies (original not 8mm copies). When in a car driving along the background plate of the street outside looks like a 3x4 film added by blue-screen to the 'scope foreground of the inside of the car. Everything and everyone looks very fat and cars have oval wheels and headlights.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC