8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S938 Stereo Test Report (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S938 Stereo Test Report
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 09:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
These are indeed a wonderful Super 8mm projector, best of all, very very kind to film! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great that you like Henley, Paul! It's a fantastic town. I think I saw a video about you on YouTube - you live in Florida, right? I actually just moved back to the UK after 22 years living in California. I loved it over there, but I felt the time was right to come back, and I'm very happy with the decision.

Thanks for the advice on amplifiers. I was expecting that you would suggest some kind of PA or semi-pro amp, but of course plugging into an existing home cinema audio system would make complete sense in this case. I have a full digital home cinema with Parasound power amps etc, so it will be interesting to try it out when I have it all set up again over here.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, of all the States my favourate has always been California, and San Francisco is IMO the most beautiful city in the USA. That's probably why Vertigo is my number one film!
When I first visited Henley in 1986, I was cycling my way from Gatwick Airport down to Wales. The moment I rode over Henley Bridge I immediately fell in love with the town. I stayed at The Little White Heart inn on the riverfront. I loved it there, but unfortunately Breakespeare's Brewery sold it about 10 years ago, so now I have to stay at a Guest House on Queen Street, which is OK, but nowhere near the charm of the Inn, and I miss the sound of the Canadian Geese.
I take a peek at the Henley webcam, mounted at Hobb's boat yard, a couple of times a week, just to remind myself how beautiful it is. Another advantage of living there is that you are close to a lot of film conventions, such as Geoff Wheelers Big Screen fair, Westminster film Fair, and of course Keith Wilton and the BFCC Sprocket Hole.
Back to the 938. I would encourage you to record some stereo music on an old reel of striped film, and listen to the playback though headphones. You will find out just how stunning the sound capability of the 938 is. The main switch on mine failed a coupleof months ago and I had to replace it with a rocker switch, since the original switch is not available. If yours should ever quit on you, you can find my fix on this forum

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul I have a long term plan to get one of these or a 940 with the handy lens for my small house.

Though going to make it a very long term look and see etc.

I do have this right don`t I, they are a synchronus motor.

But you need to keep your films filmguarded ? heads wise.

Many Thanks Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 02:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct on both counts Mark.

The motor on these runs just as soon as the machine is switched on, not running.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 17, 2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 940 at one point and loved it. Nice & quiet and also a great looking projector.

Martin,

Non-Eumig related, but the last time I was in the UK, I visited Henley on Paul's recommendation.

-

It was gorgeous!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To put prices in perspective I have just re-read the Derann Newsletter for January 1990 where they were advertising a new Eumig S940 for £895. a new Beaulieu 708EL stereo £1999.99 and a new Fumeo 9119 was £1399.99.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 940 was much much cheaper than this price point when it was readily available. I will check some of my Movie Maker magazines from around 85 to see just exactly what price it was then but I remember it was far less than Derann's price here and represented great great value at the time for what was a top notch Stereo Projector at this time.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to borrow a S934 from work in 88 that was quite nice. Not overly bright though.

I seem to remember the film path was a bit serious for part way through unloading. I may have read that here too.

Are the 938 and the 940 the same on that front ?

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 05:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 938/40 isn't a bright projector either considering it takes the very same lamp as many of the best.

Even with the Schneider F1.1 fitted, it isn't up to scope presentation in my book. It's still a fine machine however but just let down a tad by the drive and lamp output, that's all.

Everything else is highly commendable!

The 940 differs somewhat in appearance and is microcomputer controlled, hence the obsolete IC chip now and the Huge LED display.

The 938 offers the far better and safer bet option now in this era.

You don't really want to be unloading part projected film on any of these but I have never ever understood why anyone would ever want to?

You are only ever 40 minutes away from letting the machine complete it's natural cycle maximum, and then safely rewinding your film as intended.

Projecting in reverse is also a very safe option on these I've also always found when using one of these.
Therefore if your film has only just begun and plans suddenly change, you can always opt to getting the film back onto its own spool fairly quickly by using this option if you so wished.

[ March 18, 2017, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:08 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the gate material in these please. Andrew or anyone.

Good advice re a 938 there.

Thanks Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 06:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
From memory Mark (Ashamedly I have to admit, it's over 6 months since I last ran mine since moving all of my Cine gear out of the house), it has a steel or Ali cast rear plate and Plastic front gate, but without getting it out again, someone like Paul or now Martin will be far better qualified than I am tonight to answer you 100% correctly on this particular aspect.

It is similar in construction to a Bauer T studio class projector but in my humble opinion, nowhere near as well built and equally the components used don't come close either.
Nevertheless, as already said, it's a fine example of a quality Super 8mm Stereo projector when you find an example as good as our friend Martin clearly has! [Wink]

I think their relative price points reflects this aspect when they were both originally offered for sale.
The T610 finished up coming in only a fraction below the price of a brand new GS 1200, back in the day whereas the Eumig's were nowhere close. not the bible of course as a the measure of these things, but upon inspection you can both see and feel the difference in quality.

To my way of thinking, it is like comparing a Bosch Washing machine to one made by Hoover.
Both do a great job, one is slightly better built than the other due to the quality of components used, over time of course.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 940 for a we while and its certainly a nice projector, very quiet running. I gave it away years ago for free, along with some films to the young kid who was doing projection work at the cinema at the time, now happily married....mmmm I wonder if he ever used it? [Smile]
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 17, 2017 08:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets hope so Graham!

Far too good to ever be wasted!

--------------------

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2017 05:31 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know about the switch replacement, Paul, thanks. It seems like John White in Stanmore is great resource for Eumig parts too. I just saw Keith Wilton at Chorleywood Film Fair today - it's always good catching up with him.

Douglas, very pleased you liked Henley too. So many of the Americans I met in both San Francisco and Los Angeles who had been to the UK, seemed to know about Henley. I guess it's a classic English market town. The view from the bridge when you first come into the town is stunning - like the sky goes on into infinity! I grew up here, so it's been nice to return.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 04:34 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I sent you a PM if you get a chance to look at it. Many thanks, M

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 06:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some price comparisons from Movie Maker of October 1982.

Eumig S938.............£299.95
Eumig S940.............£399.95
Bauer T610.............£635
Fumeo 9119.............£862.50
Elmo GS-1200...........£869
Beaulieu 708EL Stereo..£900

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 07:38 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly a lot less (for all the projectors) than the 1990 prices I posted above.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 08:02 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to see what those prices mean in today's money!:

Eumig S938.............£299.95 £740.00
Eumig S940.............£399.95 £987.00
Bauer T610.............£635 £1567.00
Fumeo 9119.............£862.50 £2128.00
Elmo GS-1200...........£869 £2144.00
Beaulieu 708EL Stereo..£900 £2221.00

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 10:09 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, I have replied to your PM, hope it is helpful.

Maurice's list of prices is very enlightening. The Eumig 938 was certainly bargain priced compared with some of the competition.
As for today's equivalent prices, my bet is that most collectors here would jump at getting a new GS1200 or Beaulieu 708 at the prices Martin has calculated.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love seeing this review again. If i ever run into one of these in very good condition, I'd love to buy one. I have had excellent results with the 926 stereo (though I highly agree about that danged reel set-up), but would LOVE to get one of these top of the line Eumig's!

Once again, thanks for the review, Paul! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 02:44 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 938 is my go to machine and can concur they are very gentle on film. I have a Bell and Howell 33ST with a 100W Zenophot lamp and it looks as bright as the 938 with it`s 150W lamp.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 20, 2017 04:11 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thing here Terry is that I don't think the 938 was ever sold in the USA. I got mine from Canada.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2017 04:27 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know that Paul. I usually have to complain about what is NOT available in Canada. LOL

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC