8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Heurtier on eBay!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heurtier on eBay!
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 25, 2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great looking Heurtier projector currently on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heurtier-Duo-Play-Super-8MM-Projector-Beaulieu-Bolex_W0QQitemZ7593467274QQcategoryZ4691QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2006 06:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
in my experanice avoid like the plague.that only my view.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 25, 2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way, Paul! I'm not falling for that this time. You're trying to make me buy another projector, aren't you? [Big Grin]

Doug

[ February 26, 2006, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 26, 2006 04:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew: this is one of the "good" Heurtiers. And it comes with a Schneider lens. Yum.
Paul, will you finally buy one? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 26, 2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, just think how great this would look in your collection............ [Smile]
Jean Marc, can this projector play stereo out thru an external stereo amplifier?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 26, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn`t the chrome wear off the gates, ive seen at least one down through to a brassy look material.
Best Mark.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 26, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: In theory, yes. There's a DIN line-out socket on the back. Shouldn't be any problem, since you're already using Eumigs.
Or you might want to wait for a real S-42 model to pop-up.
Then again, this one is in Miami, a 4-5 hours drive from where you are, isn't it? [Wink]

(FYI, I have sold my Heurtiers and Beaulieu machines, no more room left, I'd rather collect films than projectors)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted March 25, 2006 07:23 AM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching this projector for a while, and when the price dropped to $299, I took a leap and bought it, without knowing a heck of a lot about it other than that it was a late Heurtier projector similar to the 42 models, and that these are of good reputation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7597237063

There is very little info on these projectors out there, so I'm really glad to have found this forum! If anyone knows where I might find a manual in any language, I'd be interested. I've read the review of another version of the DuoPlay 942 posted by a member of this forum on his website, but this model is a bit different. It has no internal speaker, and I haven't made an adapter yet for the external speaker jack (a 2-pin jack of the same type on my Elmo 912s editor), so I haven't tested the sound features, but it does project a nice steady, sharp image and seems to be generally in good condition, and autoloading works fairly well.

In the sound unit there is a "Manual/Auto" control. Anyone know what that might be for?

There is a knob that has an icon of a speaker at one end and an icon of a speaker with lines coming out of it at the other end of the scale. Logic would have it that this is a volume control, but there is another knob that is clearly marked as the volume control. Any guesses? I suppose when I get this hooked up for sound, I can play with it and figure it out. It might be that one is a master sound control and one controls the live sound from the microphone and turntable inputs.

Most of the other controls seem self explanatory in their mixture of German, French and English.

Inputs and outputs on the back in addition to the speaker are--

"Sortie de modulation"--I take it this is "line out" (5-pin DIN). If anyone knows the pinouts for this connector, that would be very helpful.

"Commande a distance de l'effacement"--6-pin connection that would seem to be for a remote control, and I know that "effacement" can mean "erase," but I can't imagine why you would need 6 pins for a remote erase control, or why you would want a remote erase control, so maybe one of our French participants can help me out on this one. I'm guessing it's just a remote volume control that can control the microphone, turntable, and film sound levels, and maybe in this context "effacement" means "override" so the remote would override the panel controls.

Then there are 5-pin DIN inputs for a microphone and turntable.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

[ March 25, 2006, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: David A. Goldfarb ]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 25, 2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi & welcome to the forum. [Smile]

"Manual/Auto" would seem to be a recording mode switch... allowing you to either set the recording level manually (good for music) or have it done automatically (good for speech).

The knob with the speaker icons could be a tone control, making the sound more muffled and boomier on the low end, and tinnier and clearer on the high end.

"Sortie de modulation" is translated by Babelfish into "Exit of modulation" and might be a pulse-sync connector of some kind, allowing tape recorders and the like to sync to the projector.

The other one has me stumped... it translates into "Commando has distance of obliteration." Basically what you've said about it already, but that doesn't make much sense... [Confused]

Well, I tried... Hopefully you'll be able to dig up a manual for your projector. Nice machine, by the way!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted March 25, 2006 11:53 AM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas. There are separate bass and treble controls, so I don't think the speaker knob is a tone control.

Pulse sync is an idea, but I think in French equipment of this era it would have been Pilotone sync and would have a control for 60 Hz or 50 Hz.

[ March 25, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: David A. Goldfarb ]

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted March 31, 2006 07:57 AM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just scored an operating manual and service manual for the stereo version of this projector, so that should explain some things. The stereo model looks almost identical, except it has an extra knob, presumably for another sound input, and an extra VU meter for the second channel--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7603565797

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted April 03, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manuals arrived and have all the info I was seeking and more.

The knob with the speaker icons adjusts the pressure of the sound heads, so they can be disconnected for silent projection.

The Manual-Auto switch is an automatic recording volume control.

"Sortie de modulation" is indeed an audio output. I've got the pinouts for the stereo version and it should be easy to test to see if my version is the same.

"Commande a distance d'effacement" is for a remote control that enables superimposition of sound and controls the preamp.

What I thought was a service manual looks like a parts catalogue.

So my projector is model the ST 42 DuoPlay, which can record mono sound on both tracks. The ST 42 Stereo records stereo sound on the two tracks.

When I get a chance, I'll scan the manuals for the archive.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 03, 2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC