8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Joys of Mechanical Film Projection (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Joys of Mechanical Film Projection
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 07, 2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were any super 8mm projectors powered by steam? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how you look at it!

Since pretty much all electric generation except hydroelectric starts with some kind of a boiler and a turbine, you might say most Super-8 projectors are at least indirectly steam powered!

(Even Hydro depends on solar evaporation to get the water up the hill, but that's stretching it!)

I don't think Super-8 projectors have ever been solar powered because if it were bright enough outside to get the power...(well, you fill in the blanks!)

Wind...maybe!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago, I gave to my godson a super 8 sound projector plus two Disney digests ("The Match of the Century" and "The Jungle Book" both in Piccolo versions) - all acquired via eBay - as presents for his seventh birthday.
You can't believe the happiness of the little boy: There were already three showings of "Match of the Century" and two screenings of "Jungle Book" within the next three hours. His mother (my sister-in-law) told me that since then nobody can come to their house without being shown at least one Disney digest. And his grandma (my mother) affirmed how proud the seven-year-old is - especially as he is the only boy in his school form who owns a real movie projector.
I hope, he will maintain this level of enthusiasm...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 03:27 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I recently screened Buster Keaton's "The General" for my grandson, Tristan, who has just turned five.

Not only was he thrilled at the novelty of the Elmo E-80, but gave a running commentary about who were the "goodies" and the "baddies", and what they were doing!!

It certainly makes one realise that children haven't really changed from "our day", and are still capable of making their own entertainment with their unique imagination, given the chance.

The lack of sound in the film wasn't even noticed or mentioned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WONDERFUL.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what a great thread! Paul, that pic of your grandson reminds me of me at his age discovering MY grandfather's 16mm hand crank! Wonderful! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard-

Thanks for bringing this great thread back up and that perfect photo! Kids can be so jaded today with constant cable programing, video games, etc...

But some of them can really appriciate the magic of real film. I find that, even if they don't become collectors, they will still have a certain appriciation for it when they get older.

My son is one of those. He's 19, and doesn't have the interest of actually collecting or showing movies (thank goodness [Cool] ), but is always asking me to show movies on the projector (his favorite: Star Wars).

By the way Eberhard- what kind of projector did you get the lucky lad??

James.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 14, 2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My son Adrian was absolutely fascinated a few years a go when we were going through a pile of old 78rpm shellac records.

He had never seen gramaphone records before let alone seeing and hearing them play [Frown] He also got many hours enjoyment making flower pots from the ones which were damaged.

I remember doing this exact same thing when I was a youngster [Eek!]

Theres a lot to be said for the analogue days [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2008 06:51 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too had great fun with my Mamod engine. But even more when I built my own, from scratch, a few years ago.

-

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2008 04:15 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

it's a Revuelux sound 620, which should be identical to the Chinon Sound SP-350 (probably built by Chinon and distributed by Foto-Quelle/Revue).
I had one of these machines myself about twenty years ago and it performed very well (picture as well as sound) until some parts wore out.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC