8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Interesting item for long play projection...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting item for long play projection...
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look here.. it seems interesting (I'm not the seller my friends..) http://cgi.ebay.de/LONG-PLAY-PROJECTION-UNIT-EG- FOR-ELMO-1200-BAUER-ETC_W0QQitemZ9121387792QQcategoryZ1476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I am [Big Grin] .
Thank you very much Ugo for bringing this here [Smile] .
In fact it is a not very often seen construction for long play projection.
I think Jean-Marc posted in the past a foto of a similar machine on an ST-1200 from a french convention.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so how much for postage to the uk [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 05, 2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig posted about this one back on 4/1 in the "Yak" section. I wonder if there's any additional noise because of the motors?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the existence of this long-necked beast imply that Jan's surgically altered machines are . . . BREEDING?!?

shudder

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 05, 2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be one heck of an evolutionary jump, don't you think Scott - going from my humble 1600ft mod (as the parent) to a full-blown self-powered 2400ft setup (as the kid) [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, not surprisingly I've been watching this eBay auction since Day One (dunno why I didn't make mention of it around here before Ugo did)... wonder what the reserve is, though. And if only I knew what kind of motors to use, I could just build my own...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2006 03:28 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oups, I just now noticed Craigs posting in the yak section.
[Roll Eyes] Tony, postage to UK should be, taking into consideration the German Post tarifs, 25,00GBP.
Doug, I didn't notice any additional noise because of the motors.
Jan, let me answer here to your questions on ebay. They may be of interest to others.
Well I don't know if this long-play unit was commercialy built in large numbers or is only a limited production, I've seen a similar one as previously noted in a pic from Jean-Marc in a french convention.
On the two motors it is written: System Papst Made in Germany.
I did a quick search for you and found that Papst manufactures blowers, motors, pumps and fans till now. (http://www.papst.de)
However I can't track a modell on the website that resembles the one fitting in the long-play unit.
The speed and the rate are automatically regulated, there is not a speed adjuster switch. If you use the machine as a reel rewinder, reels are rapidly rewinded. If you use it as long-play unit, the speed adjusts to the projector's tension.
The auction is only for the longplay unit, not the reels.
I just put it on ebay because I didn't use it as often, but I'll keep it, if it doesn't get the price I payed for it some years ago.

[ April 14, 2006, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Dimitrios Kremalis ]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting photos there. Oops, I have just remembered I have 2 Towers at home [Big Grin]

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan, as the 6' tall child of 5' 6" parents, I'm willing to believe it!

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 06, 2006 08:36 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dimitrios, been a while since I saw you around here. [Smile] Didn't know that was you selling the thing on eBay, either... anyway, it's incredibly intriguing. I've heard of Papst motors before actually, I'm assuming these are the kind of motors you can use as winding motors and regulate their torque by applying more or less voltage to them, without having to use any kind of friction drive. Much like the reel-to-reel tape recorders of their time (the high-end models with separate spindle and capstan motors).
Anyway, Papst is one place to start looking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2006 03:50 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Jan, perhaps you could send them an email explaining what you are after [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC