8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Prduction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Prduction
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 06, 2006 04:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, does anybody know the dates when Elmo started and finished production of the GS1200 series?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I believe the first models went on sale in 1978 and they could still be bought new in 1986. They may have been available for some time after that, but I think production ceased at that time.

They were one of the last Super 8 projectors available, I understand the Beaulieu continued after this time with the 708 EL and perhaps Fumeo and even Silma.

I wonder what was the last Super 8 projector manufactured?

David

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 07, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to get one in 1987 or 1988 and as good second hand ones were hard to find, I looked into buying a new one. It was exasperating as I was just too late, although they still appeared on cine dealer ads until at least very close to that time. For a while in the UK, a good second hand one was around £1,400 - not much cheaper than new ones had been.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 07, 2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a chart in Juergen's great "Movie Projectors" book, the Elmo GS-1200 started production in 1976. However that may be a misprint since in the text he uses 1978 as the starting point. The Xenon version had a run from 1980-1982. That rare beauty, the GS-1200 P Com, arrived on the scene in 1983.

Doug

[ April 08, 2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I might be wrong, and as I´m currently in Guatemala I can´t check my back issues of Movie Maker , but I´m pretty sure that although the GS 1200 wasn´t available until 1978, a prototype was on display at the 1976 Photokina. So Jurgen is probably right on both counts.

Jurgens book sounds intersting, I shall have to look into getting one when I get back, is it still available?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 08, 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I reviewed the book back in August, and the review mentions where you can order it from. Projector Book

John Whittle mentioned he ordered directly from the publisher. John, did you ever get your copy?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC