8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Super 8 Film Fuji Velvia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Super 8 Film Fuji Velvia
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday, GK-Film of Bielefeld (Germany) started the sale of Fuji Velvia 50D Daylight film in Super 8 cartridges. At the film fair in Waghäusel the company sold the first cartridges, called GK-Film Cinevia. You may even buy this film in 16mm and in Single 8 cartridges (12 meters). All is available.

We tested this film for smallformat magazine (new issue is out now!). It's great stuff. Very fine grained, great colors! The film costs 24,50 Euro including processing at Andec (Berlin). You can also buy this film without E6 processing.

Mr. Klose has the following email address: gk.film@web.de. His website www.film-super8.de is mainly in German but there are some English pages too.

Now it's up to us how successfull this new enterprise of Mr. Klose will be. He invested a lot to bring this film to market. Let's try it!

Juergen
www.smallformat.de

|  IP: Logged

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 06:36 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great news; is there any interst from UK-based enterprises to import it here in Britain yet? Look forward to try it-hopefully it'll be cheaper than the 64T!

--------------------
Yannis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 10, 2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that Fuji R25 in Single 8 is Beautiful and to my eyes MUCH better than K40 ever was. And Fuji Velvia in 35mm is awesome. I can't wait!

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted April 10, 2006 07:13 AM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's available in the US from www.spectrafilmandvideo.com. I'm testing some right now.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 10, 2006 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it goes without saying that this is polyester based, and if you are a fan of editing with cement on a Bolex splicer it is not going to fly. ( No, wait! I just DID say it!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are wrong! It is acetate. Fuji Velvia 50 D is true daylight, true acetate and a sound strip can be added. The Kodak E 64T cannot soundstriped. We just made a test.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 10, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohman, this is so awesome. [Smile] Sounds like this is shaping up to be the REAL replacement for K40 film, unlike Kodak's own E64T cartridge. And thanks for the Spectra link, now I won't have to order Velvia film from Germany either. [Smile]

One question though - Juergen, did you really mean to say there's 12m of film in the cart? Not 15m (50ft)?

EDIT: 64T cannot be soundstriped? Ack, why's that? It's acetate stock after all, of that I'm pretty certain... as for Steve's claim that the Velvia film was polyester-based, he was probably thinking of Fuji's Single-8 stock (the R25N and R200N cassettes available from Japan).

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 10, 2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm wrong, I am happy to be! (...at least in this case. Most of the time, not so much!)

Besides, it wasn't really a claim, more of an assumption out for a reality check!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

Fuji Vevia is 15m in the Super 8 cart but 12m in the Single 8 cart because this is normally filled by 30% thinner polyester film.

We made several tests with E64T in professional striping companies - all failed to stripe the E64T. With Fuji Velvia (GK-Film Cinevia) there is no problem. Kodak knows about the problem but doesn't know the reason...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 10, 2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that there is no contest. Think I'll get both my single 8 and super 8 cameras out of moth balls and give this new Fuji product a go. Just hope the Widescreen Centre starts to stock it.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2006 04:54 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We made several tests with E64T in professional striping companies - all failed to stripe the E64T. With Fuji Velvia (GK-Film Cinevia) there is no problem. Kodak knows about the problem but doesn't know the reason...

--------------------
Tim

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I presume you mean laminate striped. Surely, if 64T can be cement spliced, it can be laminate striped. Have you tried paste striping, as for polyester base? EVT Magnetics still do it in the UK.

--------------------
Tim

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2006 11:05 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim,
I can only tell you that a professional company from Vienna (Austria) and one more from Berlin (Germany) took the same technique as they did for over 30 years with the Kodachrome 40 and the striping DID NOT keep on any E64T but it did on every Velvia 50 D (like GK-Film Cinevia or Wittnerchrome V50D). Kodak does not know the reason yet.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2006 04:12 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I presume you mean laminate striped. Surely, if 64T can be cement spliced, it can be laminate striped. Have you tried paste striping, as for polyester base? EVT Magnetics still do it in the UK.

I suppose the paste striping is possible on the 64T, but it could be a hard problems for the filmakers. A lot of us has the Weberling machine for laminated striping. The machine to stripe by a magnetic past is very rare to find, and it's hard to find the paste. At last: I know the quality sound of the paste stripes is worst, and the worn of the heads is higher than the laminated stripes.
So I will not use a film where the laminated striping is impossible.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 26, 2006 05:05 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can`t help thinking that putting out a 64 asa its part of creeping out of super 8 on Kodaks part, they know even a 50 would mean most people are OK, also not as good as the 40!!!! with theextra stop hassle etc they know people will just pick up the digital job or go to fuji etc.
Seems like an exit stratergy to me!!!!!!
best Mark.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2006 08:32 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13692&highlight=striping++main+track:
quote:
I have partlly successfully striped 2 little films shot on 64T(30 meters and 40 meters : Main track only).

But it wasn 't easy at all !

I had to clean the film three times with "Filmreineger" sold by Wittner.

I have projected this films 4 or 5 times since they have been striped .

They run well with good sound , but it appears that the track is still enough strongly spliced in one or two single points that I will repair.

I think that this stock is more "lubricated" than K40 or Plus-X , and then have to be "dry" a lot before striping ....

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2006 12:10 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated in my Amsterdam thread, I have ordered a couple of cartridges AND the pressure plate from GK. Hopefully I shan't have to chuck my beautiful Bauers away.

GK's price includes processing - I'd be VERY surprised [Roll Eyes] Kev, if the Widescreen Centre can come anywhere close. We'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 29, 2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true about Kodak's apparent disregard for the fact most super-8 cameras don't handle the ASA64 setting. Curious indeed... Myself, I just picked up a beautiful Bauer Royal 8E Makro from eBay Germany, and there is a website explaining how to adjust the light meters in Bauer cameras, but I just might take the easy way out and film exclusively with manual exposure (using the automatic exposure as a guide, then closing down by about one f-stop manually).

Almost forgot the link [Roll Eyes] http://film.project-consultant.net/html/adams64_new_cams.html

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 06:50 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last K40 is in the camera, been putting off ordering as i've not been sure what to order instead. So followed the easy link on this thread and ordered a couple of the Fuji process paid carts from Germany, pricewise not much more than the old K40.
That pressure plate seems like a good idea as I have had the odd film developed in the past that has been very unstable on projection and had obviously happened in the camera. I'd put it down to a tight / dodgy cartridge. This little device would seem to insure againt that, all though the price prohibited me from ordering one this time.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2006 04:15 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got off the phone to EVT Magnetics, good news as they say they have not had problems striping Kodak 64T.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 25, 2006 04:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Kodak made a few batches of super 8 carts which were well known for their unstable picture. I think they were produced in early 2004. There were details about this on the Kodak website sometime a go. The problem was resolved.

How long are we going to be able to get this Fuji super 8 I wonder?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2006 04:38 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji Velvia 50 in Super8 cartridge is sold out at Wittner and GK Film for the moment. GK says that they will be able to offer the V50 within 3 weeks again. Wittner states that Fuji has discontinued the V50 material. Both are about to offer Super8 cartridges with the new Velvia 100, which is said to have less (!) grain than V50.

Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC