8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kempski prints? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kempski prints?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 28, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of different super 8 film companies that I run across in collecting, and since I'm still a novice in some ways I have a question.

I have a scope print of "Poltergeist" quite beautiful color, and I noticed on the leader that it says "Kempski" (I believe that is how it is spelled). I'm sure somebody can give me some background on this. Is it a lab, or the person who owns the rights to a particular print?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i might be wrong but i think its the name of the person who took over cinevison of holland;after dr.van terting died back in the 80s.can anyone else tell us more?.andy.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 29, 2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was some continuity with regard to Cinevison, but Kempski was certainly a significant figure/company in his own right, probably for much of the 1980s. He was based in Germany and was known for expensive but high quality prints, and scope features in particular. He also released some trailer reels and cartoons (such as T&J scope titles) and a couple of advert reels. The latter are the only Kempski releases I'm aware of that were NOT in scope! He used the slogan 'full length and full width'. (Unfortunately not full height, unlike Cinevision.)Apart from Poltergeist, his features included West Side Story, Brainstorm, Poltergeist 2 and 2010. Derann obtained many, perhaps all, of his masters and still offer various titles.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 30, 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of Flash Gordon says Kempski on the leaders and I have to say the Scope print is one of the best quality prints in my collection.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 30, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my highest quality prints is the scope "West Side Story". The writing on the leader reads "Dietrich Kempski Cineton-AV-Electronic". The box states "A Kempski Release Distributed Exclusively In The UK By Derann Film Services".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 30, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, thats the same as my "Flash Gordon" print which I have rerecorded in stereo.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Adrian is correct, even though Kempski released many more films: "Mutiny on the Bounty", some Bruce-Lee-films, some Karl-May-films, ... .
Kempski also distributed anamorphotic lenses (and lens-holders), ... here in Germany. He also sold some other strange gadgets like this 750m-reel-arm-extender:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Kempski-Gigant-750-X-Super-8-Spulenaufsatz-Spulenturm_W0QQitemZ9710341453QQcategoryZ8271QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AFAIK Kempski and Derann have been working together even while Kempski was still living and in the business: Derann sold many Kempski-releases with an english soundtrack back then.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 30, 2006 11:40 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come these giant-reel towers are so much more expensive than a complete projector? Is it just their rarity?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2006 02:10 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 16mm negatives and first 8mm issues of the Kempski prints were made by Hadeko, Neuss, Northrhine-Westfalia, Germany (now ProCine Filmtechnik GmbH a division of Egli Swiss Effects AG).

Hadeko also made some stunning UFA prints, like "Dawn of the Dead".

I have a Derann reissue from "Dance of the Vampires" in my collection.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dietrich Kempski was in the Super 8 business from 1972 on and was one of the people responsible for the introduction of Cinemascope for super-8 - in a time when all 8mm releases of scope movies were printed in pan-scan or letterbox versions. Initially his company was called "Cineton AV Electronics", but later he changed the name into "Scoptimax". For a couple of years, Kempski sold scope releases issued by other manufacturers - especially Animex Inc. in New York (owner of the patented Cineavision-Scope-System) was a close collaborator. When Animex' owner, Dr. van Tetering, died in 1983 and his company closed, Kempski released full-length scope films on his own: The first Kempski release, "West Side Story", was an MGM production as were all further Kempski feature releases. The other films were: "Logan's Run", "Poltergeist", "Doctor Zhivago", "Brainstorm", "The Fearless Vampire Killers/Dance of the Vampires", "2010- The Year We Make Contact", "Ben-Hur", "Soylent Green", "Poltergeist II". Another two films were released in a very small print run of 12 on reversal stock only: "How the West Was Won" (only first half of it: 5x400ft) and "Shaft's Big Score". Kempski's last release was "Mutiny on the Bounty" in 1988. All films were offered in German and English version; some of them even in French. Kempski planned a few other scope-releases such as "Ryan's Daughter" and "Dances With Wolves" in the 1990's, but as his films were so expensive and he was waiting for advance orders, none of them made their way to 8mm. In the 1990's, his negatives went to Derann, where all Kempski-films were re-printed (and sold for much less than in Germany)
Apart from selling his 8mm scope movies and reel extension systems, Kempski-Scoptimax was also distributor of KOWA anamorphic lenses and Fumeo projectors (I remember his presentations with a 500-watt Fumeo Xenon on Lumiere Filmclub meetings in Alsfeld in the 1990's - the projected picture really looked like in a big movie theatre)

P.S.: Joerg: Sorry, but the Karl-May-Films were not done by Kempski but by Plank/Sippert, and the Bruce Lee film distributed by Kempski, "Bruce Lee - the Man, the Myth", was a Derann two-parter.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 05:45 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Joerg Polzfusz

Is there any chance of a better resolution scan of the advert for the GIGANT 750 so the text can be read?

Thank you in advance.

To Eberhard Nuffer,

That is fascinating and very informative reading. Obviously you know a wealth of information regarding this hobby have you ever considered (or have) written an article about this subject?

Also, do you know if there was ever a Scope release of FORBIDDEN PLANET as I have an advert from a cine magazine for the WIDESCREEN CENTRE in LONDON which shows the film as 'coming soon to Super 8 in scope' ??

Regards,

Ricky

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 07:11 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky,

Forbidden Planet was slated by Cineavision as a 3x400' scope release (and perhaps a F/L print), it got as far as a test negative being made, but then Dr. van Tettering suddenly died, and that was the end of any new Cineavision films. I heard that his son had control of the company but was not interested in carrying on, so no prints were struck of FP. Kempski then took up the M.G.M. scope option from Cineavision, but he released all his scope prints in the standard 2:66/1 and not the patented Cineavision process which was 2:35/1 on most scope 8mm releases.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 07:37 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joerg: Sorry, but the Karl-May-Films were not done by Kempski but by Plank/Sippert,
Ooopss... yes this could be my mistake.

quote:
and the Bruce Lee film distributed by Kempski, "Bruce Lee - the Man, the Myth", was a Derann two-parter.
I do have a full-length Bruce Lee in Scope with German soundtrack and the seller claimed that this print was done by Kempski - I'll give it a closer look this evening.

quote:
Is there any chance of a better resolution scan of the advert for the GIGANT 750 so the text can be read?
Sorry, but I'm neither the seller nor I own that advertising [Frown]

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg and Barry,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Rick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really fascinating read! I can say for sure that the Kempski print of "Poltergeist", that I have, has excellent color and an extrememly sharp picture, as well as an excellent stereo sountrack. It looks magnificent on the big screen. I have three of my favorite sci-fi films in super 8 scope :

Poltergeist
Alien
Star Wars

and they all look great!!

It's really a shame that it is such an expensive hobby, but it really is something to watch them on film!

Another favorite title of mine, is the scope 400ft. release of Star Wars. It doesn't have a clarity of image that the Derrann release has, as well as having more grain, but it is certianly my favorite pick of the "earlier" scope releases from super 8's golden age!

(That, and my Tom and Jerry and Mister Magoo scope cartoons)

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do have a full-length Bruce Lee in Scope with German soundtrack and the seller claimed that this print was done by Kempski - I'll give it a closer look this evening.
It looks like my full-length CS-print of "Abschied von der Todeskralle" was made/distributed by Vollstädt (or is it Vollstätt? It's hard to read) rather than Kempski. - my mistake, sorry.

[ May 02, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Joerg Polzfusz ]

Chester Brooks
Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Chester Brooks   Email Chester Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew The Kempski name but wasnt sure of the background details. Nice information Thanks

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joerg!
Welcome to the forum. [Smile]
I knew somebody had a print of "Enter the Dragon" on Super 8 scope with the German soundtrack. How is the print quality?

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2006 06:01 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky,

in fact, four full-length Cineavision prints were struck of "Forbidden Planet" before Dr. van Tetering passed away and Animex Inc. closed down. I know this for sure, as a member of this forum is the proud owner of one of these four prints. The number of four prints might be due to the printing process with four super-8 copies being printed side by side on specially perforated 35mm film stock (called "4x8S"). So the four prints can be considered "test prints". Afterwards, "Forbidden Planet" was just available in flat prints from Red Fox and later Derann.
It might be also interesting to know that "West Side Story" which later became the first Kempski release, was initially announced by Animex as a Cineavision release.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 04:16 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough Wilton of Ealing was telling me all about the Cineavision/Kempski story last week as he was compiling it all for the second part of his "Men Behind the Movies" DVD. Dr. Van Tettering came over to a BFCC to receive an award many years ago and I believe footage of this occasion is to be included.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 07:32 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard,

Absolutely fascinating reading.

I own a Scope copy of STAR WARS full length in the original Cineavision 2.35:1 side matted format purchased from an ebay seller in the USA a few years ago, any ideas where that originated from?

Many thanks for the clarification and I'll have a copy of Forbidden Planet when you track one down please [Smile]

Best,

Ricky

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Ricky, you have what?!!!

What is the print / sound quality like? Dare I ask how much you paid for it?

Can I have it? (Just kidding [Wink] )

Seriously, does anyone know where such a print might have come from?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 05:56 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, Ricky:

Derann is currently selling this print:
RETURN OF THE JEDI, THE 7 x 400`. Col. SCOPE. £375.00

Classic Home Cinema is currently selling this print:
The Empire Strikes Back, 4x 600ft Colour CINEMASCOPE, £330

I haven't got a clue whether these are in "Cineavision" or not. (Both stores sold the "Episode IV", too.)

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky,

I have no idea. As far as I know, "2001" and "Forbidden Planet" were the only full length Cineavision releases by Animex. And the printing technique of Cineavision was Animex' patent. On the other hand, I do also have a 16mm scope print in my collection with small black bars on the sides - the same kind of bars Cineavison prints have.
It seems there are still mysteries to be unraveled...

Uwe Brengel
Junior

- posted May 04, 2006 03:08 AM      Profile for Uwe Brengel   Author's Homepage   Email Uwe Brengel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello folks,
about "Forbidden Planet": this film was really released as a full-length Cineavision print (2,35 : 1). I bought one of the 4 prints from Kempski in the early nineties. [Big Grin]
As far as I can remember Mr. Kempski told that Mr. van Tetering had problems with MGM in consideration of current payments and copy rights when Animex closed. So he had to give back the neg to MGM.
[Frown]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC