8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who has a projection room? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who has a projection room?
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 12:57 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested to know who has a purpose built, or commandeered, projection room/box/booth in their home?

Over the years I have had several projection areas in living rooms etc but never a projection room in which I can leave my projectors set up in. I am now planning a new projection room where I can project into the adjoinging room through a port hole.

The buzz of setting up all of my gear for a show and then packing it all away is wearing thin after all these years, so I can't wait to have a permanent place.

What do you have?

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 08:04 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we moved into our present house, I vowed to figure out just such a thing. The folks living there before us had added on a sunroom and an adjoining bedroom..with its own bathroom . I now have all my projectors set up sort of out of the way on one end of the sun room.....and have put a large glass port from there into the adjoining room. So now all projectors are permanently set up....and it was lucky the way they built the room..the bedroom ( now screening area) is two steps below the level of the sunroom....and with the projectors set high on their platforms....there is no problem with head shadows on the screen. There is no sound leak from room to room...so for more formal screenings with an audience other than me...the door is shut between the rooms....and I use inexpensive baby monitors to monitor the sound in the other room. It helps me to set the right levels...and also I can hear the comments of the audience , even if I'm in the projection "booth". The screen is a huge piece of plywood...painted with very white paint....and masked at the top, bottom and sides with rigid , but lightweight panels covered in black felt....which can be moved to give almost any aspect ratio from full scope , to old 1:33...or 1:85...etc. It's worked out pretty well. I run in the permanent setup two 16mm Kodak Pageant 250's, two Super 8 Elmo 1200HD's and one Eumig 810-D( which is set up for standard 8mm.) I also run a slide projector with those theater slides and quizes that you often see in theaters. A nice friend sends me new sets every once in a while. To make the illumination of the 35mm slides match the somewhat lower light coming out of the movie projectors, I simply took an old pair of polarized sunglass(no tint) and put one of the lenses in front of the slide projector lens...and the light levels are not so glaringly different. Sound from all the projectors is run into a mixer and into an amp which feeds the speakers down by the screen. That's about it.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 11, 2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While my son is away at college, I've taken over his room as my projection room, however it's merely two projectors (Super 8mm & 16mm )on two projection tables. A permanent booth/room would be a joy (At least for me. My wife would differ. Strongly.). Since the semester is coming to an end, I'll have to put my toys away.
Gary, I'm quite jealous.

Doug

[ May 11, 2006, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 10:57 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projection booth in a house? Are you kidding? Come on now.....gotta have that noise of the machine during the show.

LOL

http://users.adelphia.net/~prfcg/s8s.html

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
does a bedroom count?.andy.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I project from the dining room table through an archway to roll-down screen hanging in front of the living room window. Because of the hardwood floors, the projector noise is pretty audible. However, out the back of the dining room along the axis of projection we have a sun room, which has accoustic ceiling tile and carpeting. I figure during warm weather I can move the projectors out there through the sliding glass doors and between the added distance and the sound absorption of the room the projectors will be much quieter.

The first step to doing this is to put external speakers on either side of the screen. Since the on-machine speakers will wind up out on the porch as well.

The family benefit is we won't be sharing our meals with ELMO on nights when I leave the projector set up! If we have party where I'm going to show films, this also leaves the dining room open for well..... dining !

So I will sort-of have a projection booth!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i love the sound of my gs1200 running;thats were the magic lies.andy.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2006 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the sound of the projector too, it's just that it starts to compete with the sound track, especially where the level is low. The dining room is all hard surfaces (right down to the wooden table top), and very efficient at taking the projector sounds and echoing them forward!

It's interesting, when you go to a commercial cinema, you can still hear the projectors. It's barely a whisper, but it's still there. Of course it's easier to hear it if you care enough to listen!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like this is a common problem with film collectors as i had the same trouble leaving things out so i decided to use my loft area.Now with everything set up it makes a great place to show films.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I put in a booth inthe first place...to get rid of that projector noise.....to give the cinema experience.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 11, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic David! My screening room is a work in progress. It's the great room in my basement. It's 14 feet by 24 feet with a fireplace on a side wall. Right now I'm using a sound proof box to house two projectors; a B&H 1580 and a GS-1200. The screen is painted on the wall with moveable black matting made of cloth. The two front speakers are behind the cloth. Like Gary, I run the sound through a mixer and then into two final amps(one for front speakers and one for the rear). The screen is 8 feet wide for flat and 12 feet wide for scope. The Booth is comming soon and will house five projectors(like Gary), light dimmer, and audio.

Here are some pics;

web page
web page
web page
web page
web page
web page

That's sweetums on the kitty perch. [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 11, 2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A picture says more than 1,000 words.

So I'll be giving my digital camera a little exercise this weekend, and preparing a web page for y'all to peruse.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan- nice set up.

Thats really funny! I didn't even notice "Sweetums" when I looked at the photos the first time. I had to go back and take a second look to see what you were talking about. Sweetums was camouflaged up there,blending in with the backround. [Big Grin]

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 12, 2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my home theater room. The room is 21 ft long x 12 ft wide. The power screen is 16:9 106 ins diagonal matt white, and drops down from the ceiling using a remote IR control. Hinged tabs can drop down for 4:3 masking. The Panasonic AE700 digital projector is mounted on a shelf right above the Elmo GS1200. Audio output from the GS1200 is routed thru a 10 channel stereo graphics equalizer and then into a 5.1 Dolby Prologic sound system. All speaker wiring is inside the walls.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 08:41 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of projectors too, but I work in a projection room during the week so when I watch at home I want to hear the film.

It is mainly the setting up and packing away that bugs me. I have film on Std 8, Super 8, 16 and 35mm (I have sold most of my 70mm). I plan to have three projectors permanently set up so I can simply choose what I wish to run and watch it. My main area of collecting is shorts, hence the varied formats. I have Columbia two reelers in formats from Std 8 to 35mm.

From reading above it seems most of us go to a great deal of effort to run our films regardless of a permanent projection room or not. I plan to use my new projection room to store my films in as well.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 13, 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David
Yvonne here (Graham's wife)we have a spare room!!!yeh right spare room with 14 seats and projectors and wires and lots of things to do with FILM. I lost the spare room in the foundations before the concrete was poured,But in his defense it's great and have had lots of fun and enjoyment wouldn't have it any other way,we started with a screen in the longe and projector stand in the dining room,moved furniture around to watch cartoons with the kids good fun and thats what it's all about,now back to Graham, Graham here what can I say to that(nothing) [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 13, 2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pual, are those lazy-boys? Gosh, that's my screening room dream; to have 9 lazy-boys with cup holders.

David, a rolling cart would be handy for those who have to set-it-up. Also, a long cable to plug into an existing sound source.

Yvonne, my wife also enjoys the films as much as me, especially if we're inviting guests. [Smile] Keep up the good work! [Cool]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 09:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Nooo! The wives have invaded the forum! Should'nt they be on the "Frustrated Wives of Film Nuts" forum? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Hee Hee. Just kidding. Hi Graham and Yvonne!

My wife also enjoys the hobby, although she's not any where near as "obsessed" as I am [Wink] .

Paul- that's a great set-up. I also try to go for that 'sofa and recliner' atmosphere. It makes for very comfortable movie viewing. Although, I still have a dream to one day get a couple of real cinema chairs.

Nick.

Martyn Bennett
Junior

- posted May 14, 2006 02:14 PM      Profile for Martyn Bennett   Email Martyn Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have converted my garage into an original "fleapit" and had built a projection room on the back, but at the time of this posting i have just started to extend it due to just having purchased two Weststar 35mm projectors.
These are going to be running alongside my two existing SD1200s.
Martyn, The Regal Redditch.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still prepping my screening room for a photo shoot. [Eek!] Next weekend, then! (Sigh) [Razz]

--------------------

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have toyed with the idea of turning one of my bedrooms into a film room; I could purchase reprints of film posters for the walls from here http://pearlanddean.moviepostersdirect.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=143&strPageHistory=cat
and swap the current contents (pool table and dart board) for a 3 seater couch and a pull-down screen and voila!
For the time being, however, I prefer to use my small living room. I've got 2 two seater couches and I put my projector in the corner between them. The screen goes in the far corner in front of the telly.
Ps I think the sound of the projector adds to the effect as long as it doesn't compete with the film soundtrack.

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2006 07:10 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a lot of thought I decided to put the projector in the screening room rather than in a separate projection booth, with seating either side. Worked out very well, due to convienience it's used nearly every day by me with shows for family and friends about one a month.  -
 -
 -

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 17, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, that's awesome. [Cool] I love the lighting and the ease of access to the projector & sound equipment, right from the cine seat. Clever! [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 17, 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
You have a really nice set up I like the neat way your projector is set up ,your screen looks good I like the generous amount of masking you have all very well thought out just great [Smile]
Regards Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 17, 2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
Awesome set up! That couch shelf system looks good enough to market!I feel the same as you do- that wonderful GS1200 should be out where everyone can see it and admire it, not hidden away in a booth! Not only that, it means that you can be in the room with your family and guests- much more sociable, plus you can adjust the focus without getting up and down all the time. What's the projector sitting on? Congratulations Mark on a first class job, you have encouraged me to improve my own HT room.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC