8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A new beginning in Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new beginning in Super 8
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 04:12 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I’d like to tell you about a program I will be putting together which will involve the ultimate cinema experience. I will be starting off a once a month film night which will be held at the weekend starting in Bristol. The cinema we are using is an independently run cinema 1 of 15 which are dotted across the UK. The cinema still holds all the original fixtures and fittings when originally built back in 1920.

The theme we are putting across could be anything from art house movies to B movies of the 50s. To complement this we will have the ushers of the cinema dressing up for the part? Plus a full supporting program of adverts, trailers and newsreels and cartoons from that period.

More importantly I will be showing many features on Super 8. This is for two reasons first and most importantly of all print quality. Secondly to make super 8 more aware to the younger generation as 80% of the audience will be art students. Of course I will be using other gauges 16mm, 35mm and so on. At the moment we are getting the art work organised and finalised for our first night which will be held starting in September- October.

The first program I will be putting together will be a Ray Harryhausen night for the first installment and hopefully we can get him to come along as I believe the cinema owner told me he’s been down before to the cinema to promote his new book which was launch last year.

Most of all the features will be shown on Super 8 because most prints in 16mm or 35mm are either faded or in poor shape, plus I think a lot of people who have not seen film through Super 8 will not believe how good the quality that they’ll probably think they are watching 35mm.

Now if anyone knows in Super 8 what will complement any features that we will be showing i.e. Cartoons or trailers or adverts with the program we will be putting together it will be great to get your views on this.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert: More power to your elbow my friend! What is more,full marks to you for even considering this venture,let alone actually embarking on it.You will certainly get noticed and I wish you every success in your venture. [Cool]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 03:57 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any information or pictures from the cinema on the web Robert? I think I'd like to see some more.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there is not a actual web site run by the cinema but if you click on this link you will find some lovely pictures of what the cinema looks like outside and inside fantastic!

I have been told that it is a Grade 2 building, converted from a 1726 house by Consuelo de Reyes. Her husband Peter King (a stage designer) had previously performed in shows in a building next door. The theatre has a main auditorium and roof garden theatre.

I also enclose a photo of The little theatre cinema, Bath Sc1 balcony enjoy!

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/site/cinemas/bath/local.htm

-

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert looooooooovely! [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2006 02:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that cinema looks fantastic. Keep us up to date with what is happening. I'd like to take a look at Super 8 projected in such a venue so I think a forum trip to Bristol could be on the cards.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 17, 2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of "The Smallest Show on Earth" John I think thats a brilliant idea. I think a UK group from the forum as support would be great. [Smile]

Robert, anything coming up in the Essex/London areas. Where in Essex do you live?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC