8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New toys with 8mm film inside

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New toys with 8mm film inside
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 12, 2006 04:59 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on Ebay

It is a kind of old-fashioned toy projector, but by seeing the title which are Terminator 2 and Batman Returns then it should be new.

So who printed those films, Derann??

quote:
You are bidding on a portable Action Replay Player and Keyring with 4 8mm film cartridges. Batman Returns, Terminator 2, Schillaci & Platt and Crazy World Of Home Movies. In full working order. Happy Bidding!

-

Or I have mistakenly interpreted the auction?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 08:16 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I bought some similar toys in LA in the late 1990's. There's a store on Melrose Ave called the Wound And Wound Toy Co and they had them for sale. I bought some of the films and a viewer, but the viewer looked different to the one in the photo.

In Australia during the 1970's there were several Super 8 based toys with the film in cartridges. One was the Mini Movie system by Apollo that had a great selection of Super Hero cartoons (Hulk, Thor etc) these were similar to the ones above. Another was the Mettoy Movie Projector. This used a longer and larger loop cartridge and had a full range of Disney titles including Herbie, Cindarella, The Rescuers etc.

I still have all of mine and treasure them as some of my favourite toys. Friends also had them and we would watch each others films; we did the same with Viewmasters.

David

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the mid of the 90s there was an Issue of "Micky Maus" with a toy. A yellow box, a lens and a short super8 stripe. The silent kodak eastman polyester stripe was a temporally shortened scene from Soups On.

-

[ May 13, 2006, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be very interested to know who is printing these newer films for the viewers. I purchased a simalar "key chain viewer" from a comic book store in the early 2000's. It came with a Fletcher "Superman" cartridge. On the back of the box, it listed many cartoons available,and, to my surprise, four different extracts from the movie "Dirty Dancing" [Eek!]

Very strange. I would almost have to actually see and touch these cartridges to beleive it!

Nick.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 06:24 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seem to be plenty of Sneak Preview motorised pocket movie viewers at ebay. Up until recently they were being sold new by a number of e-stores. These Galoob toys were made in Hong Kong and so were their films-in neat plastic cassettes.A huge number of titles was available,from Chaplin,Shirley Temple,A&C and L&H to the modern super heroes.
Another outfit, "Fascinations" definitely sells pocket movie viewers and cassettes new at their site right now.The viewers have a focussing eyepiece-for us presbyopic geriatrics...........

--------------------
Trevor

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 12:50 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember these in the early 90's in the shops, they were about £4.99 each.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 13, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes as Trevor mentioned, I have checked their website and the comnpany is still offering the real film.

SO WHO IS PRINTING THOSE FILMS?

Apart from that, how about the copyrights issue? even Steven Spielberg does not want his movies to be butchered and this is only 1 minute show!!??

[ May 14, 2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

please give us the url to the website. [Big Grin]

Thank you.

Andreas

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The really "hot" super 8mm viewer was the Apollo Stereo viewer that came out in 1981(also made in Hong Kong).Real 3D movies-Viewmaster style! They will have all gone red by now! [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 13, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a "DUX KINO" (German-made) toy projector with little cartridges containing film loops [Smile] But if memory serves me correctly, these films were a rather unusual 7mm or so in width, not 8mm... they resembled standard-8 more than anything, yet were PHYSICALLY SMALLER as well. I could be wrong, it's been such a long time. [Cool]
And my wife got a cool camera-style viewer with big rectangular carts (all in yellow, I forget who the manufacturer is) - you look in the "viewfinder" and crank a handle and you can see the film, which is backlit through the "lens" at the front. The thing is designed to run at rather low speeds, maybe around 5fps, so the actual films were apparently "skip-printed" (I just made this word up) meaning only every 3rd or maybe 4th frame from the master negative was printed onto these toy films. Too bad, otherwise I'd be tempted to crack the carts open and run the stuff through an actual projector. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2006 09:13 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan- I remember the yellow cartridges very well. I thik they were made by "Kenner". I remember picking a cartridge up from a yard sale quite a while back. It happened to be "Sesamee Street" [Eek!] . I did open the cart and I wound the contents onto a 50 foot reel and threaded it into my Sankyo. Next thing I knew, Cookie Monster was 10 feet tall on my super 8 screen!

I remember that it ran fine, like any normal super 8 print. I couldnt tell if it was going fast or slow, since it was silent and all muppet stuff. Whish I still had that little film clip though.

Nick.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2006 12:40 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jan,

the Dux-Kino was standard 8mm, and I am sure these films were distributed by Piccolo Film, because the stupid german titles for Warner Cartoons were often the same as on super8.
For example: Alarm im Zoo.

But this is not a new toy, what Winbert want to discus about.

Andreas

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

Fascinations' URL is: http://fascinations.com/unique-toys-gifts/reel-clips-micro-movie-viewer.htm. Unfortunately, on their website they don't mention any movie titles available for their viewers.
By the way: I think the Dux Kino films were also - as Jan named it - "skip-printed".

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 14, 2006 09:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, please no offense, yes I am taking this topic based on the fact they provide new films.

About the old toy projectors, we have discussed that here and also in this thread.

For go the website of the new toy projector, the link is what Eberhard has provided above, but please delete the last point stop (dot) as you will be re-directed to their home page. Or otherwise to go directly please click here.

Anybody who has ever bought this toy, can you confirm that the films are magnetic stripped or not.

And are they also printed on LPP?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I didn't realize I was derailing the topic. [Smile] It's a good question: who IS printing these films? Maybe the manufacturers of these toy viewers can provide some insight.

BTW, the yellow "camera" viewer I was talking about is a Fisher-Price product. (!) But enough of that, I don't want to go off-topic again [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I read now the website and they have a telephone number.

yes, who is printing these films?

I am not a good english speaker, so Jan, can you ask them?
(Könsch se mol froga?) [Big Grin]

Andreas

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 15, 2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Koennen kann ich schon, aber... [Wink] Actually I didn't see a phone number, but if you click on the "Contact Us" link you can drop them an email...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC