8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, can I just say, a big thank you for all the people that have contacted me with regards to the 'enough is enough' post.

I really do appreciate ALL of the emails I have received, and believe that I am getting closer and closer to the person(s) that are spreading these rumours

but anyway I digress -

In one of the posts, Dimitrios asks about a few features that he would like to see released on 8mm.

My question is 2 fold:

What would you like to see released on 8mm in a feature film format -
and
would you prefer extracts - as we have been releasing - or another feature film?

Kind regards

Adrian

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,

There has been a lot of interest expressed here for Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. You got the "Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper" film that played before it and it's been requested in my house every time the projector comes out this last month! (You have my 4 year old going around asking "Ka-boooom???"!)

If I can speak for myself, I think "The Incredibles" released feature length would be spectacular on Super-8! Although I know that there would be liscensing problems with the older W&Gs, I think "Grand Day Out" would be a great 600 Footer!

I like extracts the most when they are something well self contained, as in the example of the "Fantasia" extracts. However, in the best case, I'd prefer full features.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 01, 2006 02:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Thank you so much for asking! I know many have expressed their views in the earlier topic but I'd like to say what a pleasure it is to have you posting on the Forum. Derann is such an important part of what this forum is about and I know that together we can keep this wonderful hobby alive and vibrant.

I know there are two sides of the feature/extract viewpoint. There are many who love owning a full length version (myself included) but the price is out of the range of many collectors. I'm not sure if this is a viable idea, but would it be possible to release a film in both full length and digest versions? I realize it's easier to release an extract as opposed to an actual cut down, but I know many Forum members would be thrilled if a well edited 600' Derann digest were to be released.

Not long ago we had a thread in which many agreed that the next title they'd like to see put out would be "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit". I'm sure you'd have quite a few advance orders.

Doug

PS-Adrian, I hope you don't mind, but I used my super moderator powers to change the topic heading. I believe the current title will let everyone know what an important topic this is.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 01, 2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wallace and Grommit" for me would be great. Also as was stated digests of current releases would be fantastic!

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Great initiative to open this thread!!!
I would personally prefer to see some new features being released on 8mm. Perhaps also from genres not so commonly seen like crime/action, comedy, mystery, sci-fi, western.
Speaking of variety there are e.g. far more musicals released on Super-8 compared to dramas. And a drama can also be very entertaining too, like e.g. La vita e bella with Benigni.
Speaking of titles I'd love to see in my ideal Super-8 world
Pirates of the Caribbean (it would make a great trilogy after your releases of Mutiny on the Bounty and Master & Commander), Amelie, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Fight Club, Batman, Blade Runner and the list goes on....
Again great to open this discussion on your side!

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Your gonna' be in a minefield with your question, and I reckon you'll get at least 101 titles, as we all like different kinds of film, but it will eventually come down to the old chestnut, Source Material , you know what I mean!

I do believe collectors are getting a bit fed up with recent trailers, although I believe the "Wallace & Gromit" trailer has sold well, this would be an ideal feature, if it comes along, running just 1 1/2 hours, a lot more affordable than say "M&C" to the average collector.

Still I know you and your team will come up with something special, as last years release of "M&C" prooved there is still a market for F/L 8mm features, even long ones.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 01, 2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, a number of people said that after the success of M&C we would like to see "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit"

That would be a really good and not so long feature to release. I personally would like to see a few extracts from "Lord of the Rings" maybe like you have done with the Matrix and Gladiator.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 01, 2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wallace and Grommit, most definitely!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite films, which I would swing for on super 8 full length:

Deliverance
Get Carter

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 02, 2006 06:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes, Rico... Kaboom..."
Adrian, you've got a "reel" winner here. I'm all for short subjects and extracts.
I've said it many moons ago but any of the W&G shorts would make perfects 600 footers.
Or the opening scene of "Revenge of the Sith"...
No particular opinion regarding a feature as I'd rather purchase several shorts instead of one particular film. Still, Curse of the Were Rabbit would be a good choice.
But I know all of this depends on the source material.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything in 'CinemaScope' would be good, after all it's what cinema was invented for [Wink]

I especially like the idea of 'Pirates of the Caribbean', what a great adventure film and Scope too, imagine it sync pulsed!! [Razz]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 10:16 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always longed for a scope/stereo print or extract for Mel Gibsons Aussie action flick MAD MAX 2- The Road Warrior. Those who had the opportunity to see this in the cinema back in the 80's will know what I mean. The cinematography is superb, and the score is breathtaking. And action packed!!!!

Also, (I may have mentioned this before)-

I preferr extracts over features mainly due to the money. However, if the features could be packaged and sold per reel (like "That's Dancing"), then I would be much more likely to purchase a whole feature, even if it took me a year to get the full movie.

Also, how about some extracts from existing Derann negatives, like Poltergiest, Die Hard, or another Terminator 2? [Smile]

Nick.

P.S.- Add me to the Wallace and Grommit list!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 02, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naturally, I'd prefer seeing more shorts come available, but if I have to have a feature, then it would be A&C MEET F, Cheers, Shorty

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 11:19 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, it's obviously hard to please everyone's wants on that issue,but being the eternal b/w classics fan that I am,I'd be really interested to see some more of these available on 8mm.The
most characteristic title of that sort that I have in mind is 'Charge of the Light Brigade'.
Of course,this poses questions like how one can find negatives for such an old movie,and in what condition they will be,let alone how much they'd cost...But still, one can hope to see some of that old stuff again-after all,hope's the last to die...

--------------------
Yannis

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matrix! (full feature...)
[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]
and.... MATRIX!!!!!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WALLACE and GROMIT for me !

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 02, 2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bring on some Looney Tunes. I want "Hyde and Go Tweet" and "Transylvania 5-6000," in particular. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW !!

What a response in such a short space of time - keep 'em coming

Just a few questions (and observations) though...

It would seem the Wallace & Gromit is a popular choice - good choice I might add. I too am a huge fan of these. Nick Park certainly deserved the Oscar.

Steve - The Incredibles - yes I agree, that would look great on 8mm. At 115 mins it might be a bit pricey though, but I will find out how much something might cost to put out.
I really hope that the rumoured 'Incredible 2 - Revenge of the UnderMiner' goes ahead though, as I loved the first one.

Lord of the Rings extracts is a great idea, I think, as we have done well on the other modern extracts. Thanks Kevin

Dave, I hope the Get Carter is not the 2000 version (sorry couldn't resist that).

Star Wars .... George Lucas .... not all the 'force' in the world will let that happen.

Scope shorts have always sold well, and I also like the idea of buying a film reel by reel but Black & White is very tricky thesedays.

(Just as a side thought - Dimitrios - probably the reason for so many musicals on 8mm, was because Dad loved the musicals -
but it would be interesting to see how many Derann released in relation to the other film companies like - Thunderbird, Powell, Regent, Erne, Moviedrome, Quality Products, Portland, Jubilee Films, Movieland International, Lees Cameras, LGP, Jeff Films, Portland, LA Films, CEC, Mountain, Dane/Highgate and DCR (thanks Mike from Silvo Screen for that list)

Kind regards

Adrian

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 02, 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thunderbird, Powell, Regent, Erne, Moviedrome, Quality Products, Portland, Jubilee Films, Movieland International, Lees Cameras, LGP, Jeff Films, Portland, LA Films, CEC, Mountain, Dane/Highgate and DCR"

Now thats a blast from the past seeing a list like that.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,

Would Chicago the Musical
or a streamlined version which is less than
113 minutes work out?

I would appreciate musical extracts, that create a running
narrative in order to streamline the feature as an alternative.
Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger
are knockouts.

A streamlined Madagascar with those nutty Penguins.

Otherwise: The Matrix.

Any extracts or a streamlined version from the new Kong?

Another older favorite is
A League of Their Own.
I enjoy this because it has
great acting, and it's a fun film.
But I'm afraid that it may not have
universal appeal.

Streamlined Scope versions of
Albert Finney in Scrooge.

Is there ability to create
any of the first Bond films
on 8mm? From Russia with Love
is very good.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
for me adrian,anything.i dont care so long as its on super8mm.andy.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 03:00 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

Personally I would have loved to have seen "Back To The Future" on 8mm. I remember once I had an Optical 8mm print of this, stunning quality, just one draw back, it had Japanese sub-titles which appeared to go a third of the way up the screen image, in bold red charecters to boot, to say it was a little off putting is saying it mildly. Off course this would be a flat release, I think for a scope release my favourite of the recent films would be "X-Men", the 1st 2 films were brilliant, I enjoyed the new one, but they tried packing too much story into 104 minutes.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

"W&G: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" seems to be a very popular title with many German collectors as well, as I have heard in a lots of conversations.
I also like two of the titles from Dimitrios Kremalis' list very much: "Pulp Fiction" and "Amélie" (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain). Both of them are in 'scope!
Regarding shorts, I would be so happy to have Steve Martins's first appearance on the big screen, "The Absent-Minded Waiter", in my collection. It was nominated for an Academy Award and should be very affordable at a running time of six or seven minutes.

Shorty,

new full-length prints of "A&C Meet Frankenstein" were around in Germany by the end of the 1980's or in the early 1990's (with German track of course). It seems that full-length prints were also struck by JEF. If I see one of these prints offered, I will e-mail you.

Eberhard

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 05:57 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian-

You did'nt address the idea of making extracts from your current inventory (Die Hard, etc.) Would this be possible?

Nick.

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 07:25 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also like two of the titles from Dimitrios Kremalis' list very much: "Pulp Fiction" and "Amélie" (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain). Both of them are in 'scope!
Eberhard you are right! They would look magnificent! I'd love to see them on 8mm...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC