8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chester,

Here's you link:-

http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/

Sam

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 04, 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chester,

Derann and Classic Home Cinema are the only ones releasing new Super 8mm product for the collector. They both need and deserve our support if we don't want every post on this forum to start with the phrases "Remember when..." or "If only...."

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chester Brooks
Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Chester Brooks   Email Chester Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam & Doug

I will drop him an email next week

Chester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 04, 2006 02:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when every store carried super-8? If only video hadn't taken over [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought that titanic was already availble on super8mm via classic home cinema.thats the 1997 version of course.andy.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Three Little Bops is an excellent one reel cartoon.
It's a jazzed up version of the three little pigs,
with a jazzy soundtrack which is done
in a style that only Warner Brothers could
only imagine.

This is a print that we have been searching for years to find.

If this were available from Derann in 16mm as well,
My friend and myself would purchase it in 16mm.
Just as I had purchased that beautiful print of
Mickey Mouse in the Brave Little Tailor.

Also, I do know that the University of Southern California Television
and Movie Archives (UCLA) has a pristine print of
the Fleischer cartoon: Christmas Comes One Time a Year.

Unlike what has circulated for years, their title is complete with all of the original opening and closing titles with rich full color.
This is a must cartoon for any collector, and a great additon to a holiday
program.

Another great Christmas cartoon, is the MGM Classic: Alias St. Nick.

I think that Tim Allen's The Santa Clause is another wonderful
Christmas addition. It's off beat, but very endearing.

Barry:

Shame about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
I would have loved that on any format.

Barry as you mentioned: the chances of obtaining
a release that is 50 years old and is in pristine condition is becoming
very difficult. If we do not strike now when the iron is hot,
we may never see the likes of film anytime too soon.
From how I see it, 16mm is practically dead.

Why was Dumbo never released?
That film is charming, perfect characterizations, has great color - especially the dream sequence after Dumbo becomes inebriated. and how about that tender song Baby Mine?
Best of all, it all concludes with a rousing finale- Yes I've seen a Elephant Fly.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 08:03 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Produce a new print of Warners classic cartoon The Three Little Bops on non-fade stock and I'll take one.

My other Derann Warner cartoons are great, but my classic 16mm and Techno Super 8 prints are fading. To think I sold a Fuji 16mm Duck Dodgers for an Eastman print that at the time was in much better condition!!! Wish I still had the Fuji print!

David

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2006 03:08 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-Man is indeed a very good print. The title didn't sell though so as much as I'd like a Super 8 copy of Spider-Man 2 there is no market for it. Shame as the 35mm master material would be relatively easy to find - and it's in 'Scope unlike the first film... and it looks better on film than it does on HDTV.

Reel 1 from Master and Commander offered independently is a good idea.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Klaus Kohlmann
Junior

- posted June 05, 2006 03:33 AM      Profile for Klaus Kohlmann   Email Klaus Kohlmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wallace + Gromit is a nice movie, but isn't one Nick-Park-Feature not enough for the super-8-market? "Chicken Run" as full feature is still available on super-8 ...

So here are my favorites:
Blade Runner
War of the Worlds (2004)
Starship Troopers
One of the new Star-Wars Episodes...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 05:05 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I'm sure Dumbo was released. I will have to check my titles tonight but I'm sure I have a copy.

It gets bad when you cant remember which titles you have in your collection.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was released (2x600ft). I saw one print on Derann's table at the recent BFCC.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2006 06:40 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, you are getting old. Yes you do have a copy of Dumbo in your collection [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Craig..your probably right [Wink]

I have just noticed that Dumbo is still for sale new on Derann's web site [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thread! Which company has ever asked, "What would you like to see?"? I can't remember when!
Thanks Derann! [Smile]
**one more vote for Wallace and Grommit!** (That makes 2 votes for me!)

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rik,

don´t know about the markets outside but here
marketing film and UFA asked the buyer of their films.

They asked for the favourite genres. How many reels a super 8 release should have. The prices. The profession and age. And if a black/white television is still used at home.
In 77/78 UFA asked for interesting about one reelers. Later they offered dubbed KEN one-parters.
The UFA postcards from 1980 asked for titles which the collector would buy immediately.

-
(left: marketing-film postcard from 1974, front UFA postcard from 1977/78)

Back to the topic.

I would prefer selected scene editions
from horror, science fiction. [Big Grin]
for example
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Jurrasic Park III
- Wrong Turn
and
no more Matrix please. [Roll Eyes]

Andreas

[ June 06, 2006, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 06, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apollo 13!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted June 06, 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't this forum have a "quote" function? It would make it a lot easier to direct responses to specific individuals. Anyways...

Doug M.: I know about Derann and Classic Home Cinema, but isn't there a third company called "The Reel Image" out of Ohio, USA that sells new Super 8 prints? Not sure, but I recall reading that somewhere.

Michael D.A.: Never, ever, confuse UCLA and that "other" university across town. [Wink]

The University of Southern California (USC) has an okay film school. But in addition to a first-rate film school of its own, The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) has the amazing Film and Television Archive--an incomparable resource.

http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/

Go Bruins!

Tim

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2006 10:44 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creature From The Black Lagoon

Them

Best From 20,000 Fathoms

Journey To The Center Of The Earth, 50's version

Just a few of my childhood favorites!

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 06, 2006 11:01 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why doesn't this forum have a "quote" function? It would make it a lot easier to direct responses to specific individuals.
It does, you just have to work at it a bit. [Smile] For example, I marked and copied the text from your post, then hit the reply button, clicked on the QUOTE button to insert the quote tags, and pasted your text inbetween the tags. Not quite straightforward, but the easiest way to do it.

quote:
Doug M.: I know about Derann and Classic Home Cinema, but isn't there a third company called "The Reel Image" out of Ohio, USA that sells new Super 8 prints? Not sure, but I recall reading that somewhere.
Correct, that company is run by Steve Osborne. He doesn't have a website but he does mail out printed catalogues - if you want one, email him at thereelimage_043@yahoo.com [Smile] (I hope I got that address right, corrections welcome)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2006 11:35 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For example, I marked and copied the text from your post, then hit the reply button, clicked on the QUOTE button to insert the quote tags, and pasted your text inbetween the tags. Not quite straightforward, but the easiest way to do it.

Like this? [Eek!]

[Big Grin] Thanks for the tip, too easy once you actually look at the tools available to you. I'd always ignore those codes in the past.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 06, 2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim and Jan,
Correct me if I am wrong, Derann and CHC are printing brandnew super 8mm while "Reel Image" is selling their products (distributing) not releasing.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2006 02:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

There are already prints of "Them!" on 8mm, I believe they come from Germany, contact CHC, I believe they can still get them new, I had a copy a few years back, excellent quality too!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
is the soundtrack english or german,barry?.andy.

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted June 07, 2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It does, you just have to work at it a bit. For example, I marked and copied the text from your post, then hit the reply button, clicked on the QUOTE button to insert the quote tags, and pasted your text inbetween the tags. Not quite straightforward, but the easiest way to do it.
Got it. Thanks Jan.

Tim

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

You had written:

quote:
Michael D.A.: Never, ever, confuse UCLA and that "other" university across town.

The University of Southern California (USC) has an okay film school. But in addition to a first-rate film school of its own, The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) has the amazing Film and Television Archive--an incomparable resource.

Anywho,
Ooops!
Thanks for the correction, on USC, and UCLA.

Now if we can only persuade Adrian,
to contact the archive, for
them to release a pristine print of
Christmas Comes One Time a Year [Wink]

P.S.: Did I mention, welcome to the Forum?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC