8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 12:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see a nice 600 foot extract of 2001: A Space Oddessy, in scope and stereo. Preferably, the last 30 minutes or so.

James.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 12:08 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be a killjoy, but isnt it time we stopped this thread. I think Derann have a good idea now about what we want to see on super 8, and this list just goes on and on...

Graham S

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Graham, where's your sense of adventure? It's a fun thread that's throwing up a lot of forgotten gems, and even though Derann will have their future releases mapped out by now, it's still nice to see 8mm wish lists we'll probably never see realised. Besides, I haven't mentioned the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan yet!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mark. Keep the ideas coming folks!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent title for a 600ft animated release and, I believe, it is a British film.

"The Man Who Planted Trees".

An academy award winner and an amazing animated film. Anyone who has seen this can't help but truly be moved by the sheer beauty and emotion built into the story!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 10:40 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also for the scene from "Saving Private Ryan". And don't forget the scene from 2001 and Terminator 3!

James.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this possibly the longest post
on this Forum and is Derann listening?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any chance that Derann will ever release a full feature again?

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 03:47 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also vote for SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as a section:
either the Normandy landing or the very end attack or both. I think Derann is more confused than ever. Maybe they can list possible choices that we can pick from?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confusion? -Perhaps.
Money and investment? -A possibility
Acquiring a negative ? -Definitely needed along with excellent lab work.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2007 06:27 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The supply of new 16mm prints from David Shepards Blackhawk library has recently ceased due to the illness of the lab person.

Any chance of Derann printing some of these fantastic old shorts on Super 8 under licence? When I last ordered some last year there were still over 100 great early cinema titles featuring comedians and docos.

David

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2007 08:35 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Good comment.
We all wonder if the Blackhawk negs
will ever become available again?

When Shepard acquired the negs and
began printing around 15- 20 years
ago, he did print some titles in 8mm sound.
I recall Tit for Tat, Saps at Sea, Angora Love,
The Chases of Pimple Street,were some of the few
offerings. However there was not a tremendous
demand and then the printing was limited to 16mm.
If I am correct, he also had not created any new printing
materials in at least 10 years.

But one could only hope that whatever was old,
will become new again.
[Wink]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 04, 2007 10:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've kind of wondered about Derann or CHC releasing some of the great classic silents: unless they decided to add a music track (like Blackhawk did), they wouldn't even need to stripe them.

How about some Chaplin or maybe something really ancient like Great Train Robbery?

Question: Has Derann ever sold silent films?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann I'm afraid would not go after the Blackhawk titles as they cannot get hold of any polyester B/W stock these days, and they will not print of old B/W negs onto colour stock, as this can produce a variety of different hues on the printed 8mm film (who remembers the white box specials that Derann used to do) from Blue to Yellow, this was OK in days of a lab like Rank Films, where they would happily take back, or credit for these reels, but the lab that does all Derann's work is a small business these days, so unless it's their fault, there is no comeback once printed. CHC does have use of acetate B/W 8mm stock, but as they would have to be printed in Germany, I doubt the owner of the Blackhawk library would be too pleased for the negs to go out of the country, come to think of it I doubt even Derann could persuade him to let them out of the U.S.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 11:29 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another point to make is that old B/W titles would not attract the young collectors out there and its the young collectors who have the cash! This is exactly why Derann released 'End of Days' because Arnold is still very popular with under 40's. Also Derann may have been able to get a cheap deal because of previous titles from the same source and the negatives were readily available.

Many super 8 releases would be down to rights and the availability of negatives. Derann recently told me that the problem with any more Wallace And Grommit releases is the rights, and Derann like any other have to work to a budget.

I think its unlikely we will see another feature from Derann as they seem to be concentrating on extracts and trailers which are cheaper so they sell more. What Derann also have to think about is 'what sells' which is another reason why Arnie and Gladiator are both on super 8. They could produce more Laurel and Hardy shorts on super 8, but what is the point when you can buy them on 16mm for around £30 to £50.

CHC may release more features on super 8 because Phil may get a cheap deal with the german labs.

Graham S

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 11:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry made a very good comment,
because the Blackhawk material is
copyrighted in the USA and APO, FPO,
territories etc.

I believe that the Kruppe organization was the
distributor of Laurel and Hardy in
Europe.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 07, 2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I'd love to see on super 8 would be "The Crimson Permanent Assurance". It's the 15 minutes "short feature", directed by Terry Gilliam, used as an opener for "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life". It's a lot of fun, action and singing.

(I'll post that message on the CHC topic as well).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Johnson
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 04:45 AM      Profile for Tom Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I doubt it'll ever happen, but I'd buy in a heartbeat a longer-than-400-ft and not 3-d version of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" (because for all the hype I keep hearing about the great the 3d version can be, the 2 prints that I have are awful--(maybe it's the glasses, but i can't get a good view no matter what I' try)

2. The Mole People

3. Feature length WC Fields movies. I don't have any interest at all in the edited versions of his features. I'd especially go for "the Bank Dick," "Never Give a Sucker and Even Break," "man on the Flying Trapeze" and "It's a Gift." --Tom

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don`t we all try to see if we can get the first part of saving private ryan released or even the last 20 mins would be great, and all commit to buying a copy if we can a good fifty of us, lets go for it and actually be part of doing something for the hobby.
Surely on either of those we can all agree to stump up. I think the last battle segment would be a better seller.
Come on lets do it.Lets suss a print and see if we can.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean marc, I totally agree with you! We just watched that Python classic, (though you see very little of the pythons in it), and it would make an excellent release on Super 8! Just the right size for a 400ft reel AND completely self contained!
A full story!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Private Ryan sounds good.

Tom,the MCA Universal prints of
Man on the Flying Trapeze and
It's a Gift are difficult to find
in 16mm, and would be very good releases.

Years ago, Million Dollar Legs was
released as a complete feature in
Super 8 Sound.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 11, 2007 12:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we all agree then, saving private ryan, 1st 600foot [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, come on Derann, try and work out a release for Saving Private Ryan.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2009 03:57 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PRESTO - Disney & Pixar new small film that came with WALL - E.
Clasic look alike, great story!

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2009 11:25 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello i have one movie i want to see in Super8 the animated movie from Don Bluths "Anastasia",it is a beautiful movie in scope.

Greets,
Jeroen. [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC