8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S-802D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S-802D
George Willeman
Junior

- posted June 10, 2006 11:19 AM      Profile for George Willeman   Author's Homepage   Email George Willeman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, small-gauge enthusiasts!

I have just been given a (seemingly) very nice condition Eumig Mark S-802D projector, still in its box, with manuals and both sets of gates and sprockets--and the lamp even still works. This projector has been in storage for some time and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any specific lube points I should take care of before using it. I ran a test film (one I wasn't concerned with losin) through it and it runs steady and the sound is good and strong. Also, I currently use a Kodak Sound 8 model 1 for my Reg. 8 sound films--is this machine a better alternative? The Kodak runs very nice, but those DHJ lamps are becoming a tad pricey. Thanks in advance for any advice!

--------------------
"Film is made of silver, DVDs of aluminum (and plastic), and video from rust."

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 10, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello George. You've got yourself a very reliable machine. A lot of people on this forum (myself included) keep an Eumig from the 800 series just to project standard 8mm sound. But it will also do wonders for super 8.
Open the back and put lube/grease on most of the "rotating" parts, however do not put standard V33 or WD40 on the plastic gears, use a lubricant made for micro motors and plastic parts (some are silicon based). You may also select a grease meant to resist to high temperatures (ask your local model shop or DIY store). You'll notice that forward/reverse is obtained with a roller that spins between two large discs (at the back). Keep the discs clean as they have a tendency to slide and the projector will go slightly slower.
Also keep an eye on two things:
1/ film gate. On Eumigs, it is smaller than on other machines, the projected image is "squarer", if I may say so. Keep that part spotless, otherwise, it could scratch both sides of the film. You would notice it only if you were to project the same film on a different machine.
2/ Rollers assay before take-up. After going through the sound head and before going out of the machine and to the take-up reel, there's a little white plastic cover that holds a series of rollers. The cover comes out easily. Keep the rollers clean and "rolling" as this is another "scratch zone".
Check these regularly, keep the projector clean and lubed and it'll last very long. Eumigs are tanks!

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC