8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » HW to download 8mm & super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HW to download 8mm & super 8mm
Tim Wadholm
Junior

- posted June 13, 2006 09:32 AM      Profile for Tim Wadholm   Email Tim Wadholm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some 8mm that I want to download to my computer. I want to do this myself - vs paying someone to do it, or by playing the 8mm and then re-recording it with a camcorder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can see the type of hardware I would need to do this? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, you still need to run the film through a projector and record the image with a camcorder. The camcorder must have an output jack compatible with your computer, i.e., firewire or USB 2.0. Then you need a capture program on your computer to digitize the resultant video to a digital stream. Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro are the big ones, but they're costly. You could probably find a less expensive capture and editing program, but the quality will vary due to cheaper compression engines.

The main thing is to record the 8mm film onto videotape (you can even project the image on a screen and shoot it with the camcorder), then input the tape via the capture program into the computer. There, you'll be able to edit it, add music, titles and special effects and re-output it onto tape or, with a DVD authoring program, onto disc.

Most important, your computer must have a fast enough processor to handle the capturing and a big enough drive to store the footage. Even 10 minutes can be as much as 2 gigabytes. So if you have an old, slow computer with a small drive, it probably can't do it.

Check out Final Cut Pro on the Apple Web site (www.apple.com) and Adobe Premiere on the Adobe Web site (www.adobe.com). That will give you an idea of what you need to invest. Sad to say, there's just no way at home to "scan" the original film directly into the computer.

There are some less expensive capture/editing programs. You can look here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Dazzle/?dz=1

but the cheaper the compression/editing/authoring program the more variable the results. So here's the big three: a projector, a video camera with a computer output and the compression program. Hope this helps!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best middle ground between paying someone to telecine your films and doing it off the wall is to buy one of these:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/8mm_telecine.html

It would take quite a bit of footage for this to be a paying proposition, but that's up to you.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This device would give better results (but "of course" it's more expensive):
http://www.mwa-nova.de/flashscan8.htm

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I see on that Movie Stuff site that they also offer video transfers -- $20 per 50 feet. That's a pretty good price and eliminates the need to buy extra equipment, but you'd still need a way to get the transferred footage into the computer.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/transfers.html

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 14, 2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They transfer to videotape, which includes mini-DV (digital video). You can playback that tape right into a computer using the video camera's Firewire port.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 15, 2006 01:27 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, how many feet of film do you need to transfer?

Tim Wadholm
Junior

- posted June 15, 2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Tim Wadholm   Email Tim Wadholm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone - thanks for the suggestions. I already have the video editing stuff to make DVDs. I just wanted a magic machine that one read super 8MM and two had a firewire connection.

I'll try playing the 8 mm and then copying it with a camcorder.

thanks again.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 15, 2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you will need a variable speed projector or you will get a strobe light effect.

[ June 15, 2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Freddy Van de Putte
Junior

- posted June 16, 2006 02:57 AM      Profile for Freddy Van de Putte   Author's Homepage   Email Freddy Van de Putte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

I have build two of these 'magic machines'.
One for Super-8, and I just finished a R8 unit.
Both are based on Eumig projectors.

I use the frame-by-frame principle:
No hotspot, no flickering.
Nice bright picture.

For the camera I use a 1024x768 machine vision cam.
This cam comes with capture software.

But for capturing and editing there is a free solution:
Avisynth/Virtual Dub.

For NLE: Magix is not bad at all, and very cheap.

Please have a look at my site, maybe it gives you some ideas.
(Must update the site, some frames are over-sharpened and I use a better Sony macro lens now)

Fred.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2006 05:18 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freddy, great website [Wink]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Freddy Van de Putte
Junior

- posted June 16, 2006 05:45 AM      Profile for Freddy Van de Putte   Author's Homepage   Email Freddy Van de Putte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

It's my way to promote film.
If I ever have time, I translate it to English.
(I sure hope my "Belgian-Flemish" English is not too bad) [Embarrassed]

Freddy.

Tim Wadholm
Junior

- posted June 19, 2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Tim Wadholm   Email Tim Wadholm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Thanks for the information on the transfer of the data.

Can I ask for recommendations on projectors that will allow me to view the 8MM and super 8MM film that my mom has?

As you can probably tell, this 8MM stuff is new to me.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC