8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Video on 8mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video on 8mm?
John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 04:32 PM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,
Have a rather odd inquiry here.

Okay -
Awhile ago I obtained a rare 16mm feature (silent) which had a lot of problems. Bad sprocket holes, beginning to warp, etc.
It also needed a lot of work due to missing/damaged titles and inter-titles.
I had the film telecined (ntsc) to video and restored all the titles and inter-titles digitally.
I now have a decent watchable copy of this..only problem - it's on video. (about 50 minutes long).
I'd like to have it on film...preferably 8mm.
Any idea on how to go about this?
(hopefully without costing a fortune?)

ANY ideas suggestions appreciated.

I have read several articles on inverse telecine, but still haven't quite gotten a good grasp of this.

In addition to this movie, I also have other rare silent material which have been telecined from 35mm nitrate prints to video.
Very nice, but well..again, it's on video and i'd much prefer to have them on film.

Has to be an affordable way to do this?

John

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Andec is doing a video to 35mm-film-transfer (and hence probably to 16mm or Super8, too):
http://www.andecfilm.de/html/video_to_film.htm

The "Black & White Film Factory" is offering a "Video, Computer Files, Graphics & Animation to Super 8 Film"-service, but it looks like they can only do this with b&w-films:
http://www.blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/super_8.htm

exclusivefilm might be the company you're looking for:
"Videotape to film transfers allow you to have a completed film version of any videotape on Super 8, 16, or 35mm film."
http://exclusivefilm.net/transfers.html

Good luck,
Jörg

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
contacted the Canadian site; they charge $25.00 plus tax (US or Canadian?)per foot. That means over $50,000 for a full feature!

Also would assume there would be copyright issues with copying feature films.
Think these sites are more for amateurs converting there own video productions to film.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 02:22 PM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just contacted them as well.
$25.00 (plus tax) per minute I think it was (which is still really expensive). Over $1600 for a 60 minute film.
Another one charges $60.00 per minute.

I'm hoping basically to try to put something together myself that I can use(a hobby addition).

I don't think getting a video onto a film is going too be hard to achieve but getting a decent result might be a bit tricky?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 30, 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me the simplest way would be to shoot with a super-8 camera off an LCD display, one frame at a time. The problem would be having to make test shoots to figure out both the camera's exposure and shutter time, and the LCD's proper brightness/contrast/color temperature settings. But it's not impossible...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC