8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Your Screening Room Pictures. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Your Screening Room Pictures.
Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good pictures, and I like the film reel light [Wink] .

EDIT: I'M THE FIRST PERSON TO POST ON PAGE 5!!!

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mr. Photiou asked for articles, so that finally got me going as far as taking pictures of my setup.

Since he's got the piece coming out, I'll just summarize:

A very small apartment, 25-ft throw, and no provisions for mounting or storing a screen, so on the wall it goes [Smile]
I run Standard-8, Super-8 and 16mm.

The Elmo running a Roy Rogers B-western:

-

-

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Eiki Xenon with the long-play tower. The reels are 6000ft. Goldbergs which can do up to about 2-3/4hrs of continuous screening in 16mm.
I have gotten great use out of the tower. It works beautifully with both Super-8 and Standard-8 as well (using reel adapters.)

-

-

'Scope is about 8ft. wide, Academy about a foot less.

-

-

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Bolex M8 gets to enjoy long-play too (but I do need a wider lens for it.) I love how all 3 formats collaborate: standard-8 film on a super-8 reel on a 16mm tower.

-

Sound for all of the above goes through a Samson Resolv80 self-powered monitor (part of my stereo), that moves relatively easily to the 'screen area' and provides far better sound than using the projectors with 'passive' extension speakers.

Given the restrictions, I am pretty happy with what I am seeing/hearing.
I plan on building a stand with a front guide roller for the Elmo; at the moment I am using a small reel on the front arm when I use the tower with super-8, but I worry about scratches because of the flatness of the core of the reel. The Bolex M8 takes the Eiki guide roller without it even being locked on the arm; it just stays there from to the film tension.

We plan on moving next year, so that could mean a real screen and such; we'll see. For now, it is enjoyable as is, and that's really what counts.

Best Regards,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 13, 2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus,
Nice pics.
My throw is also just under 25ft. What is the Scope lens on the Eiki?
Do you use a primary lens with this?

-Mike

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 02:18 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

In the picture,the 3500 uses a 38mm Eiki lens and an Eiki 16F anamorph (I also have Sankor 16Cs.)

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 13, 2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus
Those pictures are really good the projectors look like they are all in mint condition in particular the Eiki and Bolex M8 running of the long play unit.

Graham.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham,

Pictures flatter, but yes, both machines are in nice shape. The Eiki must have been sitting for a while; the seller said it had a "sound problem, but was otherwise ok." It turned out to have the wrong exciter bulb in it, and, once replaced, it ran flawlessly.

The Bolex I never get tired of looking at [Smile] It too came from EBay, from a very good home, and you're right, for a machine from 1960, it couldn't look any better. Nary a scratch as the saying goes. And to top it all, it runs perfectly too!

Claus

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 14, 2008 05:26 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That shot of Oliver Hardy - is that 16mm or 8mm?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 14, 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

Your comment about the wrong exciter lamp reminded me of a Bell & Howell TQII I bought some years ago. "You can have it cheap," says the owner, "It's got very low sound, probably the amplifier."

Once it was home a quick check revealed it had an Elf G27 exciter lamp with vertical filament, whereas the Bell & Howell uses a G29 [horizontal filament].

It was no wonder that little light was geting through!

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Oliver Hardy is from a 16mm print.

Maurice,
It's nice when it works out like that. In this case, the exciter was an over-sized model, and as soon as I took one of the 'regulars' from an SSL and adjusted the bulb height a bit, everything was fine.

Claus.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(NOTE: This has been relocated per Kevin F.)

Hello to all. Success at last!

The pictures below were shot today September 18th. I used my Nikon D50 with an 18-55 zoom lens. The text UNDER each image describes it....

-

A: The big wall to wall screen. 4 speakers behind it.

-

B: The frontwall of the booth. Towers 1 & 2 (bottom), projectionist wide view window (middle); and the Panny AX200U (top). The super 8 projectors are 1 pair Elmo ST1200HD /w optical.

-

D: The film editing bench inside the booth entrance. These are the Neumade X-3 rewinds made for 6,000 foot reels @ 35mm format. Brass adapters convert to super 8; and the standard 5/16 inch 35mm shafts can run 16mm reels as well. In addition, this bench also serves as the video control for DVD to the Panny AX200U. Below the bench cranks there are two Sony DVD players. One is set for flat discs; the other for scope. Both players send video and sound to the Radio Shack A/V selector directly below the big speaker. From this selector, sound goes to the Pro Logic units; and picture to the Panny. The monitor helps set the dvd movies for a more professional presentation on the big screen. Indeed, this is quite the rewind bench video bench with the multiple formats in can handle :-)

-

E: The Panasonic AX200U installed above Tower 1.

-

F: I am now pleased to report that I can run 16MM in addition to the DVD and super 8. These are Bell & Howell Slot Load models 2580. Purchased from Ebay and I installed new motor and take up belts. Away they go! The small tape selector box between the machines serves as projector 1 - projector 2 sound changeover, sending the sound to the Pro Logic units inside the booth. I was surprised how quiet running these machines were, given the fact they are not sound proofed being run outside in the screening room directly. Yes they are obvious, but not as loud as I thought they might be.

-

Another shot of the 16mm setup....

-

A wide shot from the screen showing the large room.

Please pass the popcorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Big Grin]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 23, 2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it the clothes are there to cut down sound echos and deaden the sound character of the room? [Big Grin]

Looks good, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great Chip.

We really lose out in the UK by not having basements!

I must get some shots of my setup when I can find the battery charger for my camera.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

When I run Poltergeist those clothes seem to move throughout the basement without being touched.

And if you believe that please allow me to charge you admission when you arrive. IT'S FREAKIN' WIERD. [Big Grin]

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 05:54 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**This is for Mr Harding**. I tried to email him through the board and when I'd finished it said his email addy was blocked - so tish poo - here's what I said:-

"Good Sir! If it ain't too stoopid a question - how do you organise reel adaptors for 8mm to make use of the tower? I got our local Perspex firm to cut me two platters to fit inside a couple of 3000ft 16mm split reels. It is a bit clumsy but it works - although I have to admit that the tower and reels behind a little Fujica SH6 does look a little strange. I also used a 50ft reel for the top spool arm - I cheated slightly and stuck a bit of a silicon impreg duster in it so it sort of polished the film as it went (the duster fell out after a while!) Anyroadup, any info you could let me have will be gratefully received, etcetcetc. Cheers, David Erskine"

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I thought my e-mail was active here; I'll have to check the settings. Try me at chavideo (at) hotmail (dot) com.

The adaptors themselves are these:

-

Solid brass pieces; will last almost forever, and they fit hand in glove on the tower when the reels are secured with the two screw-on knobs. I bought my adaptors here in the US. I don't know if the Widescreen Center has them, but Wittner's does:

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/02_filmb/umroller.php

Fancy chrome, but same basic model [Big Grin]

Wittner's also has big reels (up to 1200 meters.)

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/01_archi/b_spulen.php

I haven't bought from there yet as the prices and the exchange rate still scare me (!); since I haven't needed many so far, I went with used.

I want to make a stand and have it guide the film over the projector, and for that, Wittner's does have something I haven't seen elsewhere: actual 8mm rollers with holder hardware:

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/07_vorfu/d_rollen.php

(I know, I sound like I'm advertizing for them, but frankly, I looked in the US and have not seen these available.)

Please let me know if you have any other questions; I'm happy to help if I can.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, those brass adapters are a Neumade product. Steve Osborne and Larry Urbanski have them available. My super 8 Towers have these as well and they are very good.

CG

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2008 04:50 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You've all done very well!" (Graham Sinden should know where that came from!) I think the pics of the tower with everything are marvellous. I got some perspex cut to fit a 16mm 3000ft split reel (so I could run 8mm - of course!) (Memo to me try not to use so many exclamation marks or 'd-g c-ck' as old time printers call 'em). Anyway, I used my tower with a Fuji SH6 (the little one) and it worked very well - but did look odd. However, now I'll try Wittner for those adaptors - if I can get them to understand me!!!!!! Also I'll email Mr H. Cheers, chaps.

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You've all done very well!"
Because you can't survive a day with out a qoute from an old Brit sitcom. I don't know how much play it still get on your side of the water, but for some reason we really them . . . Are You Being Served, Falty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances . . . love 'em all - now to get them on S8 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Daniel Beijar
Junior

- posted May 12, 2009 03:12 AM      Profile for Daniel Beijar   Email Daniel Beijar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my projectors and films:

Filmcollection. Mostly Disney cartoons, some films i shoot myself, a five Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy and one full feature lengt film: The Navigator with Buster Keaton from 1924.
 -

Here is my sound projector for Super 8 films: Bolex SM8
 -

And my projector for Super 8 and Standard 8 silent films:
Sankyo Dualux 2000H
 -

Collection of old cameras and projectors.
 -

Movie screen in the living room.
 -

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 13, 2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

Thanks for posting those great pictures. I've always liked how the Bolex SM8 looks. It's very aesthetically pleasing with it's clean lines and industrial modern style. Now if there was a 400' take up reel that looked the Elmo 1200'......
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2009 05:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a rare occasion I've seen a Eumig takeup reel on Ebay with circle cutouts that looked extremely unique and cool, Doug, but don't know if it's 400' or 600'. Personally, I don't care. It looks more like a 35mm house reel than most.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 05:12 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, having begun purchasing reels and equipment, aswell as joining this forum, I decided to make myself a little screening room where I can enjoy films. So armed with some old furniture, an overfilled storage room and the ability to clean, I began making my own little home cinema.

Here's a video of the process, with some before and after shots, some clips from the progress, aswell as video of the projector in action after it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_E313PsT0&fmt=22

PS!
I have a sound system ready for use, but I'm missing an adapter to transfer sound from the projector to the stereo, so I haven't set it up yet.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 05:29 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice little set up there mate, enjoy

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 08:28 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FORTHCOMING ATTRACTION

This lifted from my recent post under "What films did you show last night"?

My dear wife (Carol) has just agreed that we can use / turn the spare downstairs reception room, currently affectionately refered to as "The Den", into a cinema room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - how about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously this will take some time to accomplish - so watch this space.

A very happy bunny.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 09:08 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get too happy, too soon, David....there's got to be a "trade off" somewhere!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC