8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Digest Ever? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best Digest Ever?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the DVD's of 'The Jolson Story' and 'Jolson Sing's Again'.

-

The whole time I was watching these movies, I kept thinking how great the editing of the Columbia 400ft S8 digests were, because they really captured the essence of both of these great films. Not only that, the print quality of the S8 Columbia prints of the Jolson films was simply stunning. As great as the DVD quality is, I thought that there were many scenes where the S8 colour rendition was actually much better, particularly on the 'Jolson Sings Again' print, where the S8 colours are beautifully rich with superb contrast, and the print is needle sharp. So I would have to vote both these films as one of the best ever S8 digests.
Whether you like it best on DVD or S8, both mediums have stunning quality renditions of these films, and Larry Parks is superb in his miming of Jolson, getting a well desrved Oscar nomination. Unfortunately, right after the Jolson films, Larry was a victim of Senator McCarthy's 'Un-American activities' witch hunt and he was blacklisted from Hollywood movies (thanks to information generously supplied to the FBI by Ronald Reagan), essentially ending his career at its peak. Very sad.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather liked Duck Soup..... [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Paul.

From a totally different genre, I think the Universal 8 cut-down of Spielberg's "Duel" is a classic.

To be fair, there isn't that much story to contain, but the 400ft version manages to keep many of the main scenes and succeeds in building the tension of the feature in it's short running time.

Also, as a Spielberg fan, I have to mention the 400ft version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I know this title has come up before when we've discussed abridged versions and that many people do not rate the editing job, but I have to defend it as one of my most screened extracts.

Not only do I think that the editor manages to keep most of the best action sequences, but even pulls off some very elaborate editing within sequences; the truck chase, for example is halved in length but is cut so well, with smooth mixes in the music, etc. that if you didn't know the film, you could hardly tell. I find it amazing that this much effort was put into Marketings last release, especially given the perceived state of the 8mm market at that time.

Sadly, again from previous threads on this, I believe the prints range from good quality (I've owned 3 and never seen a bad 'un) to very poor (soft and green tinged). Shame.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 15, 2006 05:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have the 400ft digest of Raiders and do agree that it is really well done. The colour on mine is extemely good but I would say that the image is a tad soft. What amazed me is that it has a superb stereo soundtrack. I dont know who did the sound but the box eveen has a proper stereo sticker on the front.
The editing is very slick and smooth and you get a really nice flowing story still.

Better be careful that we dont go overboard and end up doing reviews of our digests. If this thread does go that way then I might move it to the review section [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 05:43 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Ben Hur" 400' digest has to be up there with the best, as it conveys this very long movie's storyline into 17 minutes, and it also includes moments from the epic chariot race to boot, and if you can find the Cineavision Scope print, then you've got the best of both worlds.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 06:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
jaws-1x200ft and buck rodges-1x200ft are edited prefectly.andy.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 06:28 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jaws 200ft digest. Best ever.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 15, 2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patton and North By Northwest come to mind - Shorty

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 15, 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh... I'm going to have to start hunting down these digests. You guys make them sound so much fun to watch - and I normally prefer full-length features! I guess it's because I like things to build up slowly (on one hand) and action sequences to fully play out (on the other hand) so when both are cut short, however expertly, I tend to feel that stuff is just happening much too fast and the movie's over before it's really started. At least that's how I used to feel with many digests. But I'm really reconsidering picking some up now...

...which reminds me, one of the best German digest releases ever has to be YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (400ft) by Piccolo-Film. Many of the film's best scenes are in there and it nicely condenses the story of the monster's animation all the way to the end where Frankenstein and the creature trade their identities. And the entire sequence with the monster visiting the blind man (wonderfully played by Gene Hackman who's barely recognizable) is there, with nothing missing. Simply superb [Smile] Excellent sharpness and contrast as well, although I always thought that my copy was just a little on the dark side (could just be my memory though).

If anyone of you ever picks this up, I'm sure it's worth re-recording into English. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, you raise a good point about some Piccolo edits.

Take "Omen II".

The Ken "400ft" version is a short pan & scan with only little sense of the overall story and zero atmosphere, but the German Piccolo version, being only a few minutes longer is a fabulous widescreen version with a great story flow and retains all the menacing atmosphere of the original feature.

Like chalk and cheese [Smile]

I spent a very happy few hours once re-dubbing my German version into English to produce one of my favourite digest reels.

Sadly, the bloody thing turned RED [Roll Eyes] !

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if Piccolo took this over from Columbia or if they made their own digest, but the Piccolo's 400-footer of "Cat Ballou" is one of the best editing jobs I have seen until now. Moreover, it is printed on Agfa stock, and the colours are holding up well...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good thread Paul and good to see people on here really know what they're talking about.

'Jaws' is the best 200ft I know of. 'Buck Rogers' probably comes in second but I think it was a genuine promo created by Universal and not actually edited by the Universal 8 editors.

The best 400ft selected scenes/cut down/digest in my opinion is 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry'. Very repeatable and encapsulates the film perfectly. Probably better than the full length feature in fact. And it comes in the wonderful Ken clamshell plastic case.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw C'mon guys! I have seen most of those digests, and I don't think they hold a candle to the "ALIEN" digest! This is film with a very slow nice pace, and so to edit it down to 18 minutes, it's easy to keep the story intact. One of the things I liked about the edit is that as the story builds, the editing becomes quicker, actually giving it an incredible pacing. Whoever did the editing, I think they might have been a professional editor.

By the way, the CE3K digest is pretty good.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 400ft versions of 'Born Free' and 'The Invisible Man' were neatly edited.
Mal

[ July 17, 2006, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 05:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia digests of "Born Free" or "Country Western Greatest Hits Vol one. [Roll Eyes]
Graham.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2006 02:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
prehaps this is wrong,but what about deranns brillant
extracts from PEARL HARBOUR,THE MATRIX,GLADIATOR,and
the MINES OF MOIRA extract from L.O.T.R.
great modern releases.andy.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2006 06:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I too loved the Alien 400ft release. The editing is outstanding. Although it's not a film I can stand being cut at all.

I think you'll find all those editors working on Super 8 cut downs were professionals (certainly the UK distributors used professional film editors). Although it's hard to believe on some releases where dialogue overplays the film in order to tell the story. One reel even came with a single word which was "Later!" A lesson in how to destroy a film with a single word perhaps.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 17, 2006 07:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Those extracts are (for the most part) complete sequences from a film and there is no editing involved. The thing about a great digest is how it captures the mood or manages to tell the story of a feature length film in a fraction of the time.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2006 08:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
well doug,i would agree but PEARL HARBOUR is a cut down.
if it was the complete attack,then it would be on a 600ft
spool at least.
However the 2 reeler is a brillant cut down and does
in its 18minutes what the old digests did,back then.
i've ran this cut down more than any other film in
my collection.its brillant.
Would you not agree that's what an extract/digest does best.andy.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 17, 2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the "dialogue" problem. I have a cut down of "The Caine Mutiny" and the idiot narrarating it completely destroys it for me!

Well, hey folks, how about the WORST digest out there?!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pulled out my Superman 400 footer the other day and I thought they did a wonderful job with it. However, for sheer creativity and quality, the Castle Frankenstein was a marvelous piece of work....using wipes, dissolves...music from the main title over the first shots of Karloff....and putting main titles and credits over part of the opening graveyard scenes, thus saving more footage for the action. Sound quality and picture both top notch.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2006 08:38 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree with Gary that the Castle 200' FRANKENSTEIN stands above the rest. It's not "choppy" (unlike the 200' JAWS) and it flows nicely.

Certainly there are some great 400' digests out there (e.g., CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON -- wish it was "flat" though instead of the weak 3-D) but in my mind, the Castle 200' FRANKENSTEIN digest is a textbook example of a digest at its best.

Also, I absolutely agree with the posts regarding the inane "narration" of some digests, particularly the Columbia monstrosities. I avoid Columbia 400' digests for that very reason. Most of the narration is totally unnecessary and/or provides FAR TOO much story exposition for an 18-minute digest! (To see what I mean, try Columbia's SON OF DR. JEKYLL or BYE BYE BIRDIE 400' digests. Good grief -- the narrator provides enough storyline for a miniseries!) Or, for some reason in some digests, the narrator feels like he has to describe the action occurring on the screen. ("Suddenly, the giant chicken attacks!")

In terms of my vote for the "worst" digest -- Ken's 200' CRIMSON CULT gets my vote as one of the worst. I watched it once and it made absolutely NO sense!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2006 03:18 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite Digests have to be the MGM cut downs which I have been collecting for the past few years. Perhaps the best among them are the musical edits. My first purchase in this series was "Singin' in the Rain" on 2 x 400ft reels, it's a little like a collection of musical numbers with no attempt to tell the story, this works very well, the sequence of musical numbers is not as they are found in the film as they have been edited to work better with themselves in the absence of the story line, it works very well. Likewise "High Society" and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" work well as a series of musical numbers, with the associated choreography and dance routines, my personal favourite from Seven Brides is the Pole Cat Dance, how nobody lost a limb through a misplaced axe blow through the making of this great number I shall never know!

Another great 2 x 400fter from the MGM stable is "Fame" which succeeds in tying together the great musical numbers and giving a sense of the story too. I have this condensation re-spooled onto an 800ft reel and it provides a very re-watchable 40 minutes of pure "feel good" cinema [Smile] .

Of the 3 x 400fters released by MGM "Clash of the Titans" is great fun, an excellant print with still good colour and sound, and my most recent purchase; an Ebay buy from just before I came away so not yet properly appraised, is the 3 x 400fter to "American in Paris", one of my favourite Musicals and it was great to see almost the entire "Gershwinesqe" Ballet scene preserved towards the end, what a great musical score this has!

"Wizard of Ox" and "Easter Parade" both make great little 400fters, preserving a little of the story amongst the song and dance routines along with lots of colour.

On another note entirely, I have both the 400fters released of "Star Wars" and (I'm sure other forum members no more about this than I do), understand that the first reel to be released was originally intended to be the only release but the response was so good that the studios did a second cut down that could be cunningly edited in to the original to give a longer final extract with no repetition. Mine were skilfully spliced together by the original owner to good effect, sadly though there is quite a varience in colour and sound quality on the two releases so the cuts are nolonger seemless [Roll Eyes] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike
I have the feeling that the 200ft version came out as a teaser before Star Wars started its cinema run and it wasent long after that Ken Films released the 400ft which wasent the norm in those days to get a release so soon . I think the second part dident get released until after the 400ft Empire Strikes Back came out, it was a long time ago so hopefully I have facts right. [Roll Eyes]
Graham.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC