8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Black Hole 200ft. edition?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Black Hole 200ft. edition?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw a 200ft. digest edition of "The Black Hole" on ebay and decided not to bid, but I was intrigued.

Does anybody have that digest out there and, if so, does it have any footage missing from the 400ft. digest?

(It would be awesome if it had the scene where the robot "Maximillian" turns on it's propellor blades and shreds Anthony Perkins! cool!!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 04:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know the answer to this either but I would also be interested to know the same thing. I have the 400footer and have often wondered what content the 200ft version had.
Anyone have the 200ft version?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 16, 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, why not ask the eBay seller if his 200ft. digest has that scene in it?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 18, 2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The item ended before i could get back to the fella, but I'm betting he didn't know, as he didn't have any other info on the sale except "200ft Black Hole". It didn't have any picture of the box, either.

Honestly, I've never even seen the box for this release, (and until I saw it on ebay, I didn't even know it was released as a 200ft. version) I would hope that it had thier arrival on the Cygnus (I think that's how it's spelled), and that great crane shot as they enter the bridge of the ship. Except for the cornball robots, (with those damned goofy big eyes on them) I thought the film was pretty darn passable entertainment, and certianly a big step up for Disney, special effects wise. It paved the way for such great films as TRON in the future, (another RARE extract on super 8!) It probably sold for a lot, as it was up to 22.00 dollars with five hours left the last time I saw it, kind of like the 200ft. Empire strikes back!

Long live super 8mm!!!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 18, 2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The item ended before i could get back to the fella, but I'm betting he didn't know, as he didn't have any other info on the sale except "200ft Black Hole". It didn't have any picture of the box, either.

Honestly, I've never even seen the box for this release, (and until I saw it on ebay, I didn't even know it was released as a 200ft. version) I would hope that it had thier arrival on the Cygnus (I think that's how it's spelled), and that great crane shot as they enter the bridge of the ship. Except for the cornball robots, (with those damned goofy big eyes on them) I thought the film was pretty darn passable entertainment, and certianly a big step up for Disney, special effects wise. It paved the way for such great films as TRON in the future, (another RARE extract on super 8!) It probably sold for a lot, as it was up to 22.00 dollars with five hours left the last time I saw it, kind of like the 200ft. Empire strikes back!

Long live super 8mm!!!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 18, 2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a TRON extract on Super 8? [Eek!]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2006 02:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what's this about the 200ft 'Empire Strikes Back'? I picked up one of these with the cassette still in the box for £2 at a recent Tadley Big Screen Time.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 19, 2006 05:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

It's a fun item...

The 400ft version of The black Hole isn't too bad. More enjoyable that the entire film itself. Yvette Mimieux is probably the unsexyest woman in the Galaxy. I thought the robots were cool, particularly Maximilian.

So, can anyone (Osi? Andreas?) please tell me more about the Tron extract?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 19, 2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the TRON extract has been talked about before on the forum, and if memory serves me accurately, I think I saw ONCE a tron extract on ebay, (I think it might have been the U.K. ebay).

I think it was one of those releases right at the end of the "first wave" of super 8.

Kevin, (Faulkner), do you happen to have any better info on it?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 20, 2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jean marc, I have never actually recieved a reply as to what footage is in the 200ft Empire Strikes back? Exactly what footage is in there?

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 20, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry!
It's actually a condensed version of the first 400fter. Probe droid, AT-AT attack, space flight and asteroids field.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 20, 2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I'm certain that Disney did not realease a digest of 'Tron'. I have 2 trailers with different content, so maybe there's confusion with these. I looked up the previous thread on 'Tron', which included this post:

in autumn 1982, Piccolo Film in Munich/Germany negotiated with Disney about a Super 8 release of "Tron". But as super 8 sales had hit rock bottom at this point of time and everybody was very unsure about the future of 8mm, there was a survey by the German magazine "Kinothek/Videoplay" to find out if collectors were willing to invest in a one-, two- or three-parter. The result seems to have been daunting: It seems the film was never released by Piccolo, and since then Piccolo has never shown any interest in releasing new super 8 films again.
Eberhard

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 30, 2006 12:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a look at both versions today. The 200' version does not appear to have any footage that isn't included in the longer edition. Osi, that propeller scene is in the 400 footer, but is totally cut out of the shorter one.
The only difference I noticed is in the beginning "Walt Disney Productions Presents" title. In the long version that title is placed to the right of the frame and partially cut off. In the 200 footer, it's perfectly centered.
By the way, both of my versions are very red.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC