8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "No More Yellow Envelopes"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "No More Yellow Envelopes"
Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted October 01, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Super 8 Fellows,
This afternnon on BBC Radio 4 I enjoyed, (not the right word) the above programme. I quote its content from 'Radio Times':
"For 40 years Kodachrome Super 8 has defined the look of home move-making, with vibrant colours and a poetic quality that won it an international following. But the film stock is coming to an end, and the last remaining lab in Switzerland is closing.Terry and Roy from Bury Cine Society have one last roll of 'gold dust' to shoot...."
I'm sure it will be of interest to the group; I hope the link below will enable you to hear the BBC 'Listen Again' facility, something I make great use of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/noscript.shtml?/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/nomoreyellowenvelopes

Best wishes,
Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful!! Thank you so much Bernard for this link to a marvellous 15 minutes about Kodachrome. Makes me want to get my Bolex 18-5 out and all those Kodachrome films I took in the 50's and 60's.
And of course it's very sad to say goodbye to this iconic filmstock. Shame on Kodak! [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to it! Just going to post about this. Inspired me to look at my last rolls
of kodachrome myself. This was joined at the end with my first roll of ektachrome 64t.
Glad to report that it is just as good if not better in colour and lattitude. It is a bit grainier and more expensive however! (still P****s over my DV camera!)

Stuart.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Bernard, a great story. Those little yellow envelopes have been a part of my life, my entire life. I still have one featuring me at 18 months of age on Std 8.

It is also great to know there are some Cine societies left. A large one here in Melbourne folded just a few years ago as the average age of members pushed into the eighties. They had bought an old house back in the 1950's and converted it into a cinema and clubrooms. It was worth a fortune when they sold it!

The BBC story mentions that it was history being made very time the trigger was pushed, that is so true. I often ran the projector for other families and I recall many great celebrations as generations gathered and were captured on Kodachrome.

I have several Ektachrome 64T rolls ready to go in the fridge, no yellow envelopes but Super 8 lives on.

David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 02, 2006 07:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Superb prog thanks for the link.

I still have 4 rolls in my fridge. I take it that Dwaynes will still be able to process it for me?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 02, 2006 09:00 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

I got 3 K-40s back from Dwayne's last week, beautifully done too. They sent me an e-mail to acknowledge receipt, and a second one to advise shipment.

From New York I sent them on Saturday morning and I had the stuff back when I came home from work on Wednesday.

Makes me happy I have six more K-40s in the 'fridge!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard

Thanks for bringing that great little programme to our attention, I would have missed it otherwise. It makes the end of K40 seem all the more poignant.

I've still got a few rolls that will need to be shot, so it's good to know that Dwaynes are going to carry on with the processing, for a while at least...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 02, 2006 11:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel weird in a way, having shot my last K40 film almost 20 years ago - before committing the cardinal sin of abandoning super-8 for a video camcorder. Fast-forward to 2005, no sooner do I rediscover film than the production of K40 comes to a screeching halt, which leads to my first film shot on super-8 after 20 years being a roll of ... Ektachrome 64T [Razz]

Somehow it just seems to me like I said 'goodbye' to K40 a long time ago already. Yet I do regret that it's gone for real now. Weird, huh? ...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received my own last yellow enveloppe yesterday,shot earlier this month in the Aegean islands,and am so sad I won't see one again;will miss them [Frown] -however,that's life and we've got to see how we'll do with the 64T. One question: what do I have to do with my Canon 514 XL-S about it?Anyone knows of any website?

--------------------
Yannis

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2006 11:16 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved my last kodachrome's yesterday. It's sad that it's the end of an era. Still i've kept a number of 'yellow packets' so I can always pretend if I leave a film on the doormat the night before so I can wake up to open my post. [Smile]

Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted October 03, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sprocket-spinners,

It is very interesting to read of your various wistful responses to this sad demise and to hear the stories, so many of which we share, of this very special medium.

I wanted to ensure that anyone unfamiliar with the BBC Radio "listen again" facility knows that programmes are maintained for one week only, so if anyone wishes to preserve this show it's necesary to record it. I use a program called "Audacity" and have stored quite a few segments of different radio features on the P.C. It was free to download. I'm not very experienced with computers however, so there might be preferable systems to do this!

I look forward to hearing of more memories, but meanwhile am at least grateful that we still have some Super 8 stock available, albeit with less choice and convenience.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago I saw on TV a feature about a Super 8 competition using only one reel of 50' film (unedited). I saw some astonishingly well-crafted, original and creative entries. Does anyone here know of it?

Happy shooting!

Bernie

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 03, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, I too did a recording yesterday with "Audacity". Superb free software and the ability to export as an mp3 is an added bonus.
It would have added to the 15min item if they had used Paul Simons "Kodachrome" as a run out at the end.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2006 08:17 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent the weekend with my wife, my Canon 1014XLS and a handful of Kodachrome carts. We day tripped to Anteatum and Gettysburg, plenty of sun, warm autumn days are some of the best times of the year to shoot film, especially K40.

I've numerous carts still on ice so the fun isn't entirely over yet.

Thanks for the link to the webcast, I enjoyed it.

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!
What a great transcript.

I wish it was accompanied with video.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 03, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or even better: a film!

(Sorry, Michael! -couldn't resist!)

I edited together an all Kodachrome film this week and just finished screening it for my wife and son. It is among the last of many.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 03, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post!

(who 'sez you can't immediately respond to yourself???)

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2006 09:19 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Dwayne's can still process either sound or silent K40 as well as all speeds of Kodachrome 35mm color slides.

I try to periodically keep them busy with all the above.

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 04, 2006 12:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news John. Do you have prices for processing as I dont suppose they honour the Process paid envelopes from the uk well not for shipping anyway.

Does Dwaynes have a web site?

Kev.

--------------------

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2006 04:56 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin voila, http://www.k14movies.com/

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 04, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC