8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Popeye on 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Popeye on 8mm
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2006 10:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen a couple of Popeye releases on super 8mm, and it seems for some reason the sailor was not very popular on the bootlace guage. Contrast that with 9.5mm where literally dozens of Popeye films, sound and silent, are listed in Pathescope's 9.5mm catalogue, mainly the classic black and white series from the 30's and 40's. In fact I have never seen Popeye films look as great as they do on 9.5mm, pin sharp with deep rich contrast. By comparison the one or two titles I have seen on S8 are washed out and very poor quality.
Anybody know which Popeye titles were released on S8, and by who?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I do know of one very good black n white release, as I have it, entitled "Blow Me Down" One of the early releases, in sound, (I'll have to look up the film company), and it has very good contrast, sharpness ect.

Then there are the Max Fleischer color Popeyes classics:

Popeye vs. Sinbad the salior (excellent) Niles and Derann
Popeye vs. Ali Baba & 40 thieves (very good) Niles
Popeye as Aladdin (good) Niles

Sadly, the Niles prints have tended to fade badly. The release of Derann's Sinbad thr Sailor has very good colour, (It was distibuted by Derann, but I believe that it was actually another person who released on super 8)

There are others, but I have only seen a few of the classic Popeyes, and, as you said, they tend to have somewhat wash-outed pictures. It's a shame that more of them weren't released, as I have fond memories of them. I'd love to know if additional releases were released.

By the way, those 9.5's, weren't some of them with sound?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 05:02 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Office released more than 30 titles here in 200ft colour and sound, 12 of these were also available in b&w silent.
I also recently sold a bunch of 50ft releases from AVO Film (an italian company)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 05:34 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sell a number of films super8 Popeye in black and white of origin edition DCR! Very beautiful pictures

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi, nearly all the Popeye titles were available in 9.5mm optical sound as well as silent versions. Probably more than any other factor, Pathescope's contract with Paramount for the Popeye release rights accounted for the huge popularity of 9.5mm printed films in Europe from 1920 to 1960. Personally I think the original Max Fleischer black and white Popeye's are far superior to the color ones made in the 1950's. Too bad that Paramount never released these classic Popeye's on S8.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 11:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Popeye is relatively easy found in Italy Prints as well as JM said in France (Film Office).

They come mostly on generic covers like this:

-

-

-

perhaps that helps you.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I am a big fan of the Fleischer black and white Popeye cartoons, as you say some of the best were released on 9.5mm and also 17.5mm!
There were several put out in the UK on super 8 some of the best from DCR, a few of these were from my 16mm prints, if you see any of the DCR prints on second hand lists I would grab one, please see list of the black and white Max Fleisher super 8 prints, with the distributors name. I may have missed a few, the spelling of the titles is in Popeye language!

Popeye The Sailor. DCR and Perrys
Blow Me Down. DCR
I Eats my Spinach. DCR
The Adventures of Popeye. DCR. Film Office
I’m in the army now. Perrys
The Paneless Window Washer DCR
I never changes my altitude. Collectors club
Lets Celebrake. DCR
Learn Polikeness. (Unknown std.8)
A date to skate. DCR
Customers Wanted. Niles USA
Ghosts is the bunk. DCR
Puttin on the act. DCR
With poopdeck pappy.Niles USA
Women hadn’t oughta drive. DCR
The spinach overture. DCR
I ski love ski you ski. Niles. USA
Goonland. Collectors club
The man on the flying trapeze. DCR
Brotherly Love. Perrys
Shakespearean spinach. DCR

I believe Derann also released a few from the DCR negs, Film office released many of the inferior colour titles, plus a couple more of the black and white, but I can not remember the titles.
Hope this is of some interest to you.

BILL.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,
Thank's a lot for that list, now I will know what to look out for. Whatever I get on S8 will be hard to compete with those great 9.5mm Popeye prints, projected on a Pathe Baby - there's just something really magical about that particular combination! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 05:51 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one Christmas morning I woke to find a new Sankyo Sound 501 projector and three 50 foot Super 8's; two were L & H and the other a Popeye. It was an IE International with the red cover as pictured above by Winbert and called Buddy Brutus.

The cartoon had vivid colour and although a little faded now still dazels.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I think of Spinach [Eek!] "Yuk" I think of Popeye and have never thought much of him as a result, and hold him responsible for all those years as a kid having to eat the dam stuff [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 13, 2006 05:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have some Popeyes although most are on the 9.5mm optical sound film gauge. The one I like best on super 8 is Hyp-nut-ist which I have in my collection on Super 8 and 9~5. I rather like the B&W films best, although I have quite a few colours. Cartoons always go down well at a Christmas film show.

[ December 18, 2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 15, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Another possible Popeye on Super 8mm films from Niles Prints would have generic cover something like this (some can be a bit different style)

-

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all i have a small 50' of popeye called skeleton schooner silent from atlas they released quite a few films.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC