8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay postage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay postage
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I`ve noticed that lot of stuff on ebay is now going up to for instance £5 post for a 400 footer on super 8, ironically the post for say a single 400 has gone down with the changes to the post but this seems to be the norm for a charge now often, not with all people and not so often from film types. Up to about £3 seems OK to me but £5 or more seems to be getting bit serious.
Of course you can adjust how you bid but still.
I was once charged for packing and even the chaps petrol to the PO on a US purchase.
Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wiyh your comments Mark,but the best "rip off" was a film offered on ebay in the same area i live,so i contacted the seller to see if i won the item could i collect.Not a problem but they wanted to charge me a £3 collection fee,i didn't bid.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to be REAL careful when it comes to ebay sharks. When you know something will ship for 2.00 dollars media mail, (in america), and they are charging ten dollars for shipping and handling, DONT BID!!!

Some of the problem, is with new ebayers. They will put an item up for bids and will give a shipping quote by using the ebay automatic shipping quote, and for some unknown reason, it will give an outlandishly high shipping quote.

Shopper beware!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mark thats a new one on me, next it will be a £10 just because " I`m worth it " Fee, on top of the post, packing, petrol, fish and chips for tea and new boobs for the wife charges!!!!!!!!
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn funny Mark!

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth remembering that E-Bay don't charge you listing or final value charges on postage, only on the bid price. That's why you'll see lots of stuff at £1 with a £10 postage fee. If you're tempted you should remember that E-Bay / Paypal will only cover you for the bid price if anything goes wrong.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 27, 2007 08:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Stewart. I wonder what has to be done for getting lower postage amounts, as I have seen a number of outrageous shipping amounts for postage, when I know dang well that the item would ship for less than half of what the seller wants to get.

Lets face it, it's mostly to pad profits on ebay. I know that I personally leave bad feedback if I run into a seller who charges outrageous shipping.

In nearly every instance, when I ask a seller with, for instance, a ten dollar charge, (on something that will ship for 1.50 charge), and I'll inform them of what it'll ship for, and they still insist on the ten dollars,

Guess what?

They take the ten dollars postage, and ship for 1.50!

Very bad business, and they should be rewarded with bad feedback!

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2007 09:56 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is annoying - I either skip the auction or just take the postage off what I'm prepared to pay.

For my auctions I normally add an amount onto the actual shipping charge to cover the cost of brown paper, tape, bubble wrap, etc. It usually adds up to about £1 for 16mm stuff and 50p to £1 for most 8mm.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 28, 2007 11:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I normally add the actual cost of shipping and try to recycle old packaging. I too have had a 400ft cost £5.00 and the seller has said it's for Post and Packing. It turns up with £1.50 worth of stamps in a well used jiffy bag.

I think some sellers use this as a method of getting a few quid more for the deal and it's generally the ones that don't give a shipping cost but say contact seller for shipping cost at close of auction [Mad]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 28, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

While we are talking about sellers increase the shipping cost, please click here, where you will be amazed by someone is selling 12 reels and charging only GBP 5.50 for shipping within UK?

Mistyped or there is indeed somekind of that cheap shipping cost now in UK?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 28, 2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send about 2Kg on 3 day service at that price within the UK so it's possible that price is correct.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Ellison
Junior

- posted February 05, 2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Steve Ellison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you may remember me...I 'used to be' Phoenix Film Services in the old days !. I do a lot of trade on eBay these days, and its quite right to say that some sellers inflate postage charges and deflate item costs to avoid final value fees to eBay. There is a system for reporting inflated delivery charges to eBay, who are actively trying to put a stop to the practice. I recently bought a dvd, with no case, which cost £1.20...but was charged £2.95 postage...the item then arrived by second class post !!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 05, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, Welcome aboard the forum. Great to have you here.

Enjoy [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 05, 2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heads up Kev on Sankyo 700 slightly longer thread, I need your advice please.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 09, 2007 05:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

The ebay link I gave above was for 9 x 400" and 3 x 200". We all know that 1 x 400" is around 400 grams with box and 1 x 200" is 250 grams. So the total weight for the above reels would be (9 x 400 grams) + (3 x 250 grams) = 4350 grams. Consider the packing then it would make 4.5 kg - 5 kg.

So do you think there is a sort of service in UK? or he just mistyped it and the winner got a big steal?.

Heei I just realised that the seller (iangt40) could be a member of this forum. I remember someone was complaining and then he answered here. Can someone find out what is his name here?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC