8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Open Day 8mm Forum Meet April (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Derann Open Day 8mm Forum Meet April
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have another bright idea.
Hows about if Film Forum members have a meet up at the next Derann Open Day on Sunday 1st April 2007? If you have never been expect to meet some like minded film fans, endless film shows, good hot drinks and films on sale.

Anyone up for it?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for it but Brums a bloody long way for a day trip. I'll give it some thought though...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 11:55 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I aggree this is a long way to go to find out its april fools [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 12:19 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gray..You are not just funny on the phone when we chat, but also ear on the Forum!

Ill contact Ged at Derann to let him know some of us will be coming...My car is already full with my wife& myself, along with two local film fans who fancy a good day out.

I'll be back..

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 12:19 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing i was thinking Graham [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 12:22 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. You can check the date on the Derann web site if you look under events.

www.derann.co.uk

Seems quite a few of us will be going for a meet. All I hope is that they screen something with Arnold Schwarzenegger in.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 01:42 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I went to the January 28th Open Day and had a good time. picking up a few bargains. However the attendance was quite low and the store was almost empty by mid afternoon.Hope it picks up a little in April
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 03:56 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now why can't we have a similar event here?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, you want to talk about a "long trip?" Imagine me trying to go to it, (which I can't), lets see, who farther away?

Hmm Mike is in the U.K., I am in Idaho, U.S.A.

(subtle humor, not putting you down)

Honestly, I wish I lived in the U.K. maybe if my film-making can really take off, I might have the opportunity to do so, but knowing my luck, by the time I could move over there, The super 8 market could be dead.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph!, Joseph!, Joseph!!

If Blackhawk had survived modern "progress", we Yanks would be meeting for "open days" in Davenport, Iowa.

-Yet it was not meant to be! Society has sacrificed classic technologies so they can watch "movies" on oversexed TV sets and marvel at 48 inch "big screens": looking at images that seem like they've been smeared with a half inch of Vaseline. (My Brother-in-law has one of these and for the sake of family harmony I had to look impressed!)

I'd like just as much as you to get together for the "NAFCC", and I think if it ever happens, it needs some root to form around: a company, a society...something.

-Until we answer what that "something" is, this is all academic.

In the meantime: flights to England aren't all that bad($)

Someday, I definitely want to go!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 15, 2007 10:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve, speaking of Blackhawk, do you, or anyone we know, (speaking of the Forum), know what happened to Blackhawks super 8 facilities? (did they actually do thier prints in house or did they farm it out to other sources?)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone

I confirm that the next Derann Open Day is being held on Sunday, 1st April, 2007, with subsequent Sunday Open Days being held on 1st July and 2nd September. We also have a Saturday Open Day Extra on 8th September

Kindest Regards

Gary

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have gone and done it!!
The phone rang five times last night with UK collectors wanting to know more about members meeting at the Derann Open Day in April.

Here are a few guide lines.
1/ Bring some cash
2/ BUY SOME FILMS
3/ Wear a small badge or sticker with 8mm Forum Member on it & first name. This way we can spot each other.
4/Transport idea/ If you are going by car tell your friends as you may be able to fill your seats which is what we have done. We are picking up friends on the way down to save on fuel costs.

Dudley does have a train station (Dudley Port) but you would have to check what times trains run with your own station.

Should be a fun day out, and the film shows are always first rate in the Cinema.

[ February 16, 2007, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2007 05:42 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee

The nearest train stations are Dudley Port (approximately two miles away) or Sandwell & Dudley (approximately three miles away). I would suggest that any potential train travellers check times, etc. in advance. The easiest way to get to Derann from either of the train stations is via taxi, telephone 01384 232323

Best

Gary

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Gary, will there be a prize for the collector that travels the furthest on the day? [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2007 07:30 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I would love to go to these open days as Derann hold several throughout the the year, and they seem so much fun. I might try and make the effort sometime to attend one in the future. Its a long drive or train but it is possible all in one day as its not as long as I first thought.

I always thought it would be lovley to live right near Derann as I could do the weekley shop and then pop in to get a couple of trailers or a cartoon. [Smile]

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If yes, I should also try to go for it... ;-)
I'd really like to visit Derann on the open day, but I'm still looking for an inexpensive flight Frankfurt--Birmingham...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 16, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, how were the DERANN and BLACKPOOL events started? - By that time, Blackhawk was virtually no more, collectors were thinning out collections, yet still they persevered enough to warrant these conventions, and it doesn't matter how far technology has changes the way we look at things, there will always be a need for us - Comic Books aren't what they were any longer, yet there are cons that spring up nation-wide - No, we must have one here for film like it used to be, even if it's a tag with a toy show or somesuch, then before long we can branch out on our own

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 16, 2007 08:35 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, how were the DERANN and BLACKPOOL events started? - By that time, Blackhawk was virtually no more, collectors were thinning out collections, yet still they persevered enough to warrant these conventions, and it doesn't matter how far technology has changes the way we look at things, there will always be a need for us - Comic Books aren't what they were any longer, yet there are cons that spring up nation-wide - No, we must have one here for film like it used to be, even if it's a tag with a toy show or somesuch, then before long we can branch out on our own

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2007 08:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham.
If you are going to make the effort to come from London we will pick you up from the train station which will give you more money to spend on film instead of Taxis!
Hope to see you and it would make my day to have you with us.
Lee.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 04:03 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction To Previous Post

The next Derann Sunday Open Days will be held on 1st April, 1st July and 2nd December

The next Derann Saturday Open Day will be held on 8th September

Kindest Regards

Gary

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 04:36 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I attend all DERANN Open Days, I couldn't be happier with the idea;so please do count me in-will be good to see you in Dudley that day [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2007 03:21 PM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of Derann open Days, How many of you remember the Pre- Open Day film shows they did on a Saturday evening after the shop had closed for normal trading,they went under the guise in the early days as Premier Evenings when Derek Simmonds would eagerly show the newest release on Super8.Free of charge,with coffee,we would gather and chat in the sales area,then make our way up into the cinema for a full feature presentation,finishing around ten pm, then back at nine thirty next day for the open day and an auction which sometimes lasted at least two hours..ah the good old days

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2007 04:52 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, if I lived in the UK I would be there too. I'm not sure you guys appreciate how compact the UK, and especially England is compared to say Australia or the US.

I will be going to a car show in a few weeks almost 5 hours drive away and won't even be leaving the state! We'll go up and back in the same day.

Whilst Melbourne is around 4 million people, I can't help but think if Australia's population was more dense and compact than it is that we could support a company or two like Derann here.

I hope that all of you that attend enjoy your day and know how lucky you are to have companies supporting and selling Super 8 so (relatively) close to home.

David

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, it's this Sunday - anyone going? I'm giving it some serious thought but Brum is a long way to go for the day from Worthing...

Who'll be there?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC