8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Robin Hood" editing schedule

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Robin Hood" editing schedule
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2007 06:58 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone provide me with the editing schedule to Deranns "Robin Hood - Parts 1 - 4"? I have at last obtained these parts and although I did re-edit the film over twenty years ago in the correct order, the memory is a little faded. haveing obtained these near mint extracts I don't want to ruin them with unneccesary splices. Many thanks in anticipation of help. Regards Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2007 02:39 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Keith,

Why not get in contact with Keith Wilton, as he was the original editor of all 4 extracts, and as he's a "Robin Hood" legend, he should be able to help you out.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2007 02:58 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry, I have already contacted "Wilton of Ealing" who has very kindly offered to dig out the details for me. Unfortunately, the "Great One" is very busy at the moment and it may be sometime before he gets into the "Vaults".
I don't want to pester Keith and being an impatient "Son of a Gun" I thought I would ask the Forum. If no one has it then I am sure that Keith Wilton will "come up trumps" in the end. many thanks for your help. Regards Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a copy of Derann's 'The Adventures of Robin Hood', but not sure what I have, as follows one very full metal 10.5" (800ft?) reel and one very full 600ft reel, could this be the 4 x 400 digests?. As I still have projector problems, can forum members shed any light on this print please...

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the film with-out a lens, the sound varies from edited splice to edited splice, sound level from very low to belting. Question should I re-record sound from tack 1 to balance track 2, and adjust sound level manually to give constant level play-back on balance track 2?, any thoughts or advice...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 07:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of stereo recording editors or projectors do allow either manual or automated level control during recording.
Auto will compensate between the high and the lows from track 1 onto track 2 as it attempts to maintain 0db, but I doubt it would perform miracles in that you could play back after recording just using track 2 and the sound would then be uniform throughout.

If it were me, I would just record the whole thing again on both tracks simultaneously in Stereo if I could recreate a decent digital master.

If this isn't possible, I would give it a go in auto mode first and if still dissatisfied then try to improve it by going over it again on track 2 from track 1 by using the manual level control.

The results then would be down to the skill of maintaining a constant level by yourself more during recording.

By playing back in duo mode it should be improved at the very least.

If you manage to successfully raise the level of the low level sections onto track 2, you could then record track 2 back to track 1 to further attempt to normalize the whole film.
The parts that are "belting" just record on track 2 in Auto to maintain the level Steve.

[ July 23, 2015, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 07:49 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, my DCT allows track to track recording via the old 5 pin din plug, or maybe I could go monitor 1 out to DIN recording in to track 2, and thus control the out-put level via the volume out-put of track 1, keeping the recording level constant...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 08:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know how you get on Steve, my Goko RM8008 is superb at track to track recording. Maybe I could assist you if your results don't meet your expectations Steve.

--------------------

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, as soon as I get my lens sorted and I can see the scenes that need boosting, I can write down the points when I have to increase and decrease and it should work out OK, I hope (looking up to-wards Heaven)...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 09:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck then Steve and hope you soon get your lens situation sorted out. [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my rough design for the cover of 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'...
 -

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice bit of cover art going on there Steve, I have this 4 part derann film, but I have the plastic book style case's.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, I got this 4 part Derann while my projector was down, now I have watched it I knew of the sound level probs from splice to splice, but the colour is on the turn on some parts, plus the Maid Marion section is very very soft focus. So you win some, you lose some, but a yellow/green glass filter brings it back to life, and it is a good film. I've viewed it about 4 times since you fixed my lens Paul...

John Hunter
Junior

- posted August 14, 2015 05:37 AM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith. Its some time ago, but do you still require the correct run for the ROBIN HOOD film. I have found the correct editing for parts 1 to 3. I am still looking for part 4 sequence; have seen it somewhere.

--------------------
j.hunter

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 11:30 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer John, but no I don't require it anymore as I have the Red Fox feature length print.

Unfortunately, this post has been "ressurected" recently by other collectors, not by myself.

--------------------

John Hunter
Junior

- posted August 14, 2015 12:25 PM      Profile for John Hunter   Email John Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Keith. I also have the feature, plus the 4 extracts. I tend to run the edited version to save the feature!!

--------------------
j.hunter

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest the 4th extract ruins the flow of the 3x400 and the differences in colour stand out like a sore thumb. Better to have the feature and / or the 3x400.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the incredible things that I love about the film forums, all this info that you would think would be potentially lost over time, but still exists out there and is a help to this very day!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC