8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Poltergeist - Red Fox (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Poltergeist - Red Fox
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2007 06:17 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone give me any info on the quality of the Red Fox 6 x 400ft version of POLTERGIEST please? Regards and thanks, Keith.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 11, 2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have personally heard that this print is pretty good overall.
Bear in mind that this Poltergeist is NOT in scope. It's a flat print.

Also bear in mind, that Red Fox prints have been known to have varying speeds of fade. Bearing the title in mind, however, it might be a LPP print, but I would verify that if I were you first.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2007 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the flat prints but would advise you stick out for an early 'Scope print as they're amongst the best ever issued on Super 8.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 12, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold my Red Fox flat print last year and colours were really good.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2007 07:05 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were all 4x600ft prints in scope?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 12, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Poltergeist is scope and 4X600ft., but that doesn't mean the others are.

--------------------

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there two versions of 4x600ft, one in scope and one in flat?
Or the only flat version is the 6x400ft?

[ March 12, 2007, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Dimitrios Kremalis ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 12, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen any Red Fox release on reels larger than 400'. I think that even the Red Fox features that Derann re-released were on 400' reels.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dimitrios. The Red Fox Version is 6 x 400ft reels and it is "flat" format. I have managed to purchase a brand new, sealed copy, from Germany, so when it arrives, I'll let all know what the quality is like. [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 13, 2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith
I have a copy of Poltergiest flat Red Fox 6/400ft version, and the print I have is LPP I watched it last night, first time in many many years, I thought I will just watch the first reel only, well that led to reel 2 reel 3 ....4....5.....6 so much for watching just reel one. The colour is good, rock steady image, I found in this print on certain reels, the focus to be a lttle bit soft on the middle and long shots, close ups looked great, on the sound side OK could be better, but those are only minor flaws, your new print might not have, its certainly well worth getting.

Graham. [Smile]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that encouraging reply. Glad my question prompted you to enjoy a classic thriller/horror, once again. It is amazing how you can get enthralled in something that you "take for granted". How many people have watched the T.V. to say "Oh no! not that film again. How many times has that been shown!" and then sit down and watch it all over again. That's the beauty of being film fanatics I guess. I should be getting my copy of Poltergiest early next week, so I will be able to judged for myself.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just purchased this title from a fellow forum member, patiently awaiting delivery in early June. Have to say i havnt looked forward to film as much as this for many many years.
It is the Red Fox flat print but i can wait no longer for a scope one as they never appear [Wink]

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an early kempski scope print. Beautiful pictures mounted on one 2400 reel.(not for sale).

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2017 05:32 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - You won't be disappointed in the picture and sound quality.
The only place where the flat version does let itself down slightly is in the scene in the kitchen when the chairs stack themselves. The effect does fall a little flat (pun not intended). Nevertheless, great to see on the big screen.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 05:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love the added sharpness and brightness on screen from the flat prints. I just don't get this whole "has to be scope" thing when we are talking Super 8mm.

Give me one fast and sharp lens only, everyday for Super 8mm viewing.

I have many scope prints and I enjoy them, but I always crave sharpness of image and brilliance on screen preferably over any other attributes.

Ultimately, I find only flat prints can give me this.
The frame finds itself magnified enough without attempting to stretch it twice more.
I have even heard 16mm collectors say the very same thing.

I find once your eyes have become accustomed to looking frequently at a high standard flat print on 8, there is nowhere to go to gain a better looking image on 8.
You then find yourself constantly chasing the focussing knob when viewing scope films even using the very best suited scope lenses for the gauge.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have always wanted to see a scope copy of Poltergiest to see what I was missing...I have to agree with you Andrew that watching a movie flat does have its own perks.

I have the flat Red Fox version and for a lot of scenes its pin sharp.

-

-

-

My favorite shot of the movie. I had to watch Veritgo after seeing this scene.

-

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 08:51 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes very sharp indeed with very good colours for Super 8mm.
However you do lose a hellava lot of the original picture
area and don't see the composition as it was intended to
be seen by the director and cinematographer.

I have no real love of P&S prints although I do have a couple in my collection.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 09:44 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, just like my own Jason. Fab isn't it! [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

I wouldn't swap mine for a scope version, no chance.

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 09:56 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame you in a way Andrew as most Super 8mm transfers
are not that good.

Super 8mm is not really suited to Scope. There is always a trade
of picture wise. Be it grain or colour fringing and lens problems or soft images.

That's why I prefer watching my Scope prints on 16mm / 35mm and
of course DVD and Blu-Ray with very little loss of composition.
[Wink]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, agreed David, regarding your main point there.

I don't agree that most Super 8mm transfers are not that good however.
You only have to look at Jason's fine photographs above to question that one David.

One respected and long term 16mm and Super 8mm collector recently said on another forum that in his opinion only 35mm can truly give off a decent image for scope presentation.

I agree with him ultimately.
Obviously I take it he was including 70mm in his assessment also.

Even on my digital images which can easily match or even surpass those of a 35mm projector for clarity, I prefer the shape of the picture projected in widescreen mode to anamorphic widescreen.

Cinemascope looks brilliant where it belongs, in full sized cinemas on full sized screens imho. Plenty of depth to the image then.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grerat screenshots Jason, but i certainly agree (owning an early print of this title in scope, and in stereo) that, if you love this film, you really have to get the scope version, but you'd probably make back most or a good deal of hat you paid for the scope, by selling the flat version.

But I must confess, in some regards, having the flat version helps just a little. For instance, there is that very memorable scene at the end where the house "implodes" and you would be able to enjoy the deatil that went into that effect more in the fklat version, than the scope version ...

so, each has it's "perks" but the scope, ahhhhh, the scope!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 11:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
"The fog" would look the best in scope! [Big Grin]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 02:03 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew I have to disagree with that collector who ever he is.
I have shown Scope 16mm prints in a CINEMA and they were quite
stunning every bit as sharp a 35mm film.

As for flat prints of Scope films... Well its like only looking at a small part of a painting or listening to only one movement
of a symphony. In other words incomplete and not as it was intended to be seen or heard.

Also as for depth of field Super 8mm film is very limited be
it flat or scope. Also most Super 8mm prints be they flat or
scope are cropped any way.

However if flat prints of Scope films is what rocks your boat
then who am I to argue ?
I wont be sailing on that boat with you though thats for sure !

I am not a fan of severe cropping of an image.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That flat version looks good color wise Jason I gave mine away as it had faded [Frown]

Regarding P/S or Scope I do believe in projecting a film as it was originaly intended. I was once given a flat version of "Raise The Titanic" 600 footer to look at, not only was the print turning red but in one scene the actors who were taking to each other you could not see them due to the P/S they were out of the picture. I understand there were different edits of this 600 footer, anyway this one was terrible and I switched the lamp of before the end as it simply was a waste of time watching it....junk.

Thankfully the owner of this print has now got it as a full feature with great color but most importantly its in Scope [Cool]

here is a we you-tube video of Super8 in Scope....

https://youtu.be/sbGOMk52j_Q

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 02:15 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham thanks for that link. Great to see you are using
a 35mm Scope lens for Super 8mm. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC