8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Super 8 Cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Super 8 Cameras
Gary Constantine
Junior

- posted March 20, 2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Gary Constantine         Edit/Delete Post 
Went to buy my son (hes 21 soon) a new Super 8 camera from Jessops. They had no idea what I was on about. Since when did they stop selling Super 8 cameras...where can I get a new one from? Presume they still sell Super 8 projectors.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 20, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only new Super 8mm cameras on the market are those made by companies like Pro 8mm which are basically redesigned cameras for standard or widescreen filming. They're also on the expensive end. I've had good luck getting nice quality cameras on eBay at decent prices.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You find anything new these days. Most manufacturers stopped making 8mm gear during the 80's. There were one or two companies still making new gear later than that but it was mainly professional equipment from the likes of Beaulieu (France)and Fumeo (Italy).

Sorry to disappoint, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 07:26 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well worth trying the conventions for Super 8 cameras - you'll sometimes see little-used ones that would have cost a fortune new going for peanuts.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Matthew Davey
Junior

- posted March 21, 2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Matthew Davey   Email Matthew Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are definitely deals to be found on Ebay on both projectors and cameras. Also, check out thrift shops for possible Super8 finds.

When on Ebay, I suggest you find cameras from sellers who explicitly say that the camera has been used recently and confirmed as working from exposure to development (in other words, the seller hopefully knows what the end product of the camera looks like, and knows that it is an acceptable picture). This, as opposed to "I put batteries in and the light comes on." Try to find cameras that take double-A batteries or some other standard battery; some cameras, especially European models, require exotic and hard-to-find batteries. There are still good cameras available on Ebay for less than $50.00, sometimes even significantly less.

Similarly with projectors, try to deal with sellers who can tell you that the projector has been tested with actual film. Find out what kind of bulb the projector takes; this can make a difference in the long-term cost of the projector.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC