8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's the best bargain you ever had? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What's the best bargain you ever had?
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 04:08 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Lilley Moveland International a true Gentleman. He had some abhorrence of horror movies but you could trade movies with him on his lists for little money and postage. A rarity amongst dealers. He released a few feature releases in the 1980s.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 04:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the insight Mike! This trader, other than a vague recollection of the trading name "Movieland international" ,was completely unknown by myself.

Whereabouts was he based?

Very sad to hear he didn't get a fair "roll of the dice" so to speak.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cornwall was his location if I recall correctly, West Country definitely.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful part of the world as I know Tom will testify! [Wink]

Wish I had been on Watergate Beach again today!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger released Riddle in the Sands and a couple of other features Mark Silvester will proberably know more as he is so much older than me ha ha! Roger was Plymouth based not to be mistaken with Ron Browning who ran Dane Films/ Highgate Films at Indian Queens Cornwall lovely address shame about him.

There was also Pinedene Film with Mr Smith in Southampton which was an aladdins cave of every film gauge.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 17, 2015 04:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had heard plenty of Dane and Pinedene and purchased from the latter in the 80's but sadly had no dealings with Roger.

He sounded like a lovely man.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He released a lot of Betty Boop cartoons and titles that you never got anywhere else. He was far too trusting and got a his titles bootlegged which killed his sales.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best bargain - the much-maligned eBay, FLYING DOWN TO RIO, full length version, nice print with no splices hardly a scratch, £17.25 with free postage. Mountain print.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another bundle included 600ft Derann 'It's In The Air' George Formbey, it's on colour stock and is on the blue side, it's a good watch, a nice cut down...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A GS1200 Xenon for £5, but post was £3,000

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread is an eye-opener! Every time collectors moan about scratches and fade and how terrible eBay is, they neglect to mention all these great deals and bargains they got. I think eBay evens out if you buy regularly, in fact.

GS Xenon, mine was only £2.99! but it was 'collection only' and it was MacMurdo base, Antarctica. Had to use a sled and a team of dogs to get it back but I did get a signed photo from Kurt Russell. [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
VistaVision

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 11:08 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you buy it from Kurt Russell Steve ?.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 11:27 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he had been using it to show some Thing or other, can't remember what. But didn't need it anymore. I had a bit of trouble with one of the dogs on the way back, less said about that the better. It ended up in a bit of a mess...

--------------------
VistaVision

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Yellow snow'!...

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did have some bargains from derann, but although I had a ringside seat, the demise was and still is sad, at least I can say they went to a good home, and were not bought to sell on for gain, £5.00 for anamorphic lens, complete, and a GS1200 toolkit £2.50 to name but a few things.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movieland International, aka,looney movie co aka Plymouth home movie centre aka aarchive film productions. Roger also produced many local history documentary's on Video, we actually did a production which Roger helped us produce and filmed & released into the shops.
My Brother is an amateur historian and this was his first video release.
Roger had a cine shop for a very short time in Liskeard in the main high street, but he lived and was based in Plymouth. His first shop was Cathcart Avenue in Laira, then onto Liskeard and when he returned to Plymouth he bought a lovely house in Jennycliff where he has a garage converted into his cinema and cine business. I very often would ring up on a Saturday and if he had a collection in we were always invited around to have a pick of the bunch.
BTW. Roger main job was a lecturer in Business studies at Plymouth University. Take a look at this and click the continue button on the web site.
http://www.aarchive.co.uk/about_aarchive/a_career_with_films/
And here is my Brother Phillips video release with Rogers company
http://www.aarchive.co.uk/documentaries/historical_plymouth/plymouth_chronicles_of_the_civil_war/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A really interesting insight to Roger's fine work there Tom. Good to see his son is still working in the family built business, now concentrating on the transfer of cine film to digital media.

--------------------

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 05:19 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never, ever, seen cine films at a car boot sale. I did get my Agfa Sonector from one though, £3. I didn't need to change the bulb for about 15 years.

Slightly off topic, but I went to a film fair in Sheffield about 20 years ago and there was a dealer selling original posters of the Hammer double bill She and One Million Years BC. He had about a dozen, mint and rolled up, for £5 each. I bought one (I was a student at the time) and have it framed... I've seen them sell for over a hundred now.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2015 06:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John its funny you should mention boot sales, i always thought a few years ago they would be flooded with them but as yet apart from a few old silent machines i have found nothing for my super 8 or 16mm collections.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best to date was a Sankyo 702 complete with a 1.0 Hi-Pro lens. Given to me for free from my old place of work Mercedes-Benz UK, where it was used in the past in their Training Centre. Hardly used and in beautiful condition. I still have it. They also gave me some 16mm training films, some of which I still have as well.

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently my son purchased a DeJur P1010 custom 8mm Projector for me. He was much impressed with the aesthetic condition of this 50+ year old machine. Also since these machines rarely come up for sale. Hope he took the right decision.

Not sure whether this falls under the 'Best Bargain' category since he paid a whopping $50. May be this might be the Worst Bargain ever. [Confused]

Your comments please.

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the machine came in by post. This is what my son purchased for me. Have a look:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391223885724?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=ST RK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The machine looks beautiful. Although as per the Ad, the projector was supposed to be in working order but that wasn't the case.

The projector when put on initial test the motor only made a humming noise and the motor started to smell and smoke (due to high arcing at the carbon brushes) without the armature turning. On switching off the machine and checking I found that the main worm shaft was jammed at one end due to hardening of old grease. The belt being old had starched and needed replacement. It also needed some general maintenance. Once the machine was serviced by fresh greasing and oiling, the machine performed like almost new. Took me 2 hours to get the machine in perfect running condition, but it was worth the effort. It runs astonishingly smooth and very silent. The machine seems to have been hardly used over the years.

I am very happy to have this beautiful and excellent machine. I can now say this is one good bargain. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 26, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Narendra, it's a lovely vintage machine.

It's the type of projector that simply looks fantastic as a display showpiece, even better now its fully working!
Well done you!! You must surely be thrilled to pieces. [Wink]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 02:34 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I consider a bargain, my exellent copy of GONE WITH THE WIND, bought for 250 pounds from Paul Foster from one of his summer sales a few years ago.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 27, 2015 11:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis, we also purchased GWTW from Paul many years ago, that's one was also £250, one of the very best prints we have. This is a title my Brother went to see in the cinema years ago over and over again, i think he lost count of how many times he went.
Out of the blue i rang Paul to ask if it was a film he got in many times and as pure luck would have it he said, and i quote
"believe it or not i am looking at a print i just bought in".
It was sold there and then [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC