8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » what film was F38? (ken films) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: what film was F38? (ken films)
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in every catalog I have seen there is no movie for catalog number F38, anybody have one that lists what this film was? Is it in your collection maybe?

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 11, 2007 11:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

Hmmmmm....a similar mystery exists with the case of the missing MGM digest M31. That particular enigma has driven many a collector mad. Well, actually only poor Mike Peckham.

We did a thread of Ken's Fox releases awhile back and came up with this list:

F1-St. Valentine's Day Massacre
F2-Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
F3-The Robe
F4-The Three Musketeers
F5-The Longest Day
F6-The Boston Strangler
F7-100 Rifles
F8-The Day The Earth Stood Still
F9-Curse Of The Fly
F10-The French Connection
F11-M.A.S.H.
F12-Patton
F12A-Patton's Speech (the opening sequence)
F13-Viva Zapata
F14-Sound Of Music
F15-The Young Lions
F16-Buffalo Bill
F17-Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
F18-The Poseidon Adventure
F19-Tora! Tora! Tora!
F20-The Desert Fox
F21-Jesse James
F22-The Detective
F23-The Tall Men
F24-One Million Years B.C.
F25-The Bible
F26-Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
F27-The Sand Pebbles
F28-Titanic
F29-There's No Business Like Show Business
F30-The Blue Max
F31-Sodom and Gomorah
F32-French Connection II
F33-Sky Riders
F34-My Darling Clementine
F35-Von Ryan's Express
F36-Desiree
F37-Flight of the Phoenix
F38-
F39-Our Man Flint
F40-Emperor of the North
F41-The King & I
F42-A Farewell To Arms
F43-Bandolero
F44-Carousel
F45-Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
F46-The Seven Year Itch
F47-Can Can
F48-Star Wars
F49-The Omen
F50-Damien Omen 2
F51-Silver Streak
F52-Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
F53-The Turning Point
F54-Damnation Alley
F55-The Seven Ups
F56-Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
F57-Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother
F58-Butch and Sundance: The Early Days
F59-Towering Inferno
F59-1,2,3 Towering Inferno parts 1-3
F60-Alien
F61-The Rose
F62-Rocky Horror Picture Show
F63-Empire Strikes Back part 1
F64 Star Wars part 2
F65-Empire Strikes Back part 2

We never did find F38......

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey I have never seen those "part twos" was empire ever done in a 200 sound version or just 400? I also never knew they had a three part towering inferno either.........guess there even more thing around than I thought, do you know about how many Mountain film horror sci-fi releases there are? I have about five. and I really wish I had a columbia catalog as well.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was "The Invisible Man?"

[Big Grin] sorry could not resist [Big Grin]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 13, 2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

Here's a Columbia thread with a list.

Doug

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 14, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"was empire ever done in a 200 sound version or just 400"

I remember a 1980s Derann Open Day I was at when, during the auction, Derek sold off several new unboxed 200' b/w silent editions of 'Empire' that they had for 50p each! I presume they must have been amongst the stock when Derann bought the last of Ken's stock.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 15, 2007 12:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, ESB was available in 200ft (Hoth Battle + asteroid field). It was striped and had an audio tape for sound included in the box.
Search the Forum, I put some pictures somewhere a couple of years ago.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it COFFY with Pam Grier??

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 15, 2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Ken had a very curious stock numbering system. The Fox films (naturally enough) all had the prefix "F", except for the "Planet of the Apes" series which were PL-1, PL-2, etc. "Coffy" (#297) was from American International Pictures to which Ken only assigned three digit numbers. A "P" in front of a three digit number designated Paramount. Their older silent films retained the stock numbers from the original companies (United Artists & Republic). Sorry....too much info.....

Doug

--------------------

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,
Well that is a very unusual numbering system indeed!
I wonder if we will ever find out what KEN movie F38 is???

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 16, 2007 07:55 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I noticed in Ken releases, the listing does go to F37, skips to F39, then there is also a gap fromthere to F43, no F44 and no F46 - However, this flyer I have is early '78 and the announcement on back indicates new releases for May of that year F41, 42, 44 and 46 - Point is, F38 came about later in the year, so it's a matter of locating a brochure or catalong for the remainder of 1978-79 and the mysterious F38 will be revealed - Shorty

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 16, 2007 08:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, except that F44 (Carousel) and F46 (Seven Year Itch) do exist...

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 16, 2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and maybe Phil Johnson or Steve Osborne might know

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2007 12:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey!!

I figured it out! The "F" stands for FOX, as in FOX films, so all we have to do is list all FOX films up the year that F38 came out, take out the ones that are already listed,
and that should leave,

Oh, I don't know, a couple hundred to pick from.

Eh, eh?!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if any body has one of those unboxed ESB films I'd like one......the silent one that is....... [Smile]

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2007 03:30 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I can actually solve this mystery. Ken Films F38 would have been "The Rains of Ranchipur" starring Lana Turner and Richard Burton. I know this because some time back I purchased a number of unused box covers which would have been sent to photo shops and dealers in order to advertise Ken Films. F38 was included, but obviously the film was never released. The size of this film box cover in consistent with surrounding releases, and obviously a 400' print was planned, but never produced. The artwork includes the standard "Super 8" lable in the upper right-hand corner, and copyright 1955 by 20th Century Fox on the right hand spine. I hope this helps!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 18, 2007 04:29 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waauw.....that is interesting.

Can you post the photo here please.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 18, 2007 06:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Carter, your first contribution to this forum contains prime informations. Kudos and welcome.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 18, 2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hailing you already as the new film-finding box king! - Shorty

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could you please post a pic of that box slick? Id love to see it!! I remember that slick auction, it was an estate buyer and some must have worked for Ken films it seemed. Large collection of films. thats great thanks for that info!!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 18, 2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carter,

Welcome to the Forum and many thanks for solving a mystery!

Doug

--------------------

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2007 03:18 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must add my thanks to Carter - the above is a sensational 'scoop' for the forum! I wonder what went wrong and prevented this release from appearing?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at long last that mystery is now solved. Carter, welcome to the forum...enjoy [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Bradley- I salute you.

This is a neat discovery. You've done well [Cool] .

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

James.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC