8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Revenge of Vampire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revenge of Vampire
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy I just won this old Derann feature on Ebay. At 35 pounds I'm shocked noone else bid. I've been looking for a Black Sunday print for ages. Can anyone who has one fill me in on how the print is cut down to 70 minutes? The suspense is killing me! Thanks for any info...

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 30, 2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian
Black Sunday turns up here in the Uk all the time. Will let you know if I get offered one again.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - Let me clarify that I'm not talking about the Marketing release of the 70's terrorism thriller Black Sunday.. but the Mario Bava Italian vampire film from the 60's which is much rarer.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 30, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS. Me got that one wrong and talking about wrong flick.
Take care my friend.
Uncle.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 10:03 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hiring this film back in the 1970's. It has been known as 'Black Sunday' 'Revenge Of The Vampire' ans 'Mask Of Satan'. It launched Barbara Steele on a career in British horror films, and is very atmospheric. The re-title sequence sets the tone for the whole film and then there's that shock moment when the witch opens her robe...
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 30, 2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this 4 x 400' but I still haven't got round to viewing it all, so I can't comment on the editing, although as it must be the US version that was the source, I don't suppose it's liable to have some of the more shocking scenes fully intact.
However, the print was better than I was expecting, and doesn't have the high contrast look of some b/w features from that era.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 11:26 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the Derann print of this on ebay a couple of years ago from a collector in the Netherlands and I love the film. Barbara Steele probably has something to do with it. It is one of the rarer Derann horror titles that you don't see listed much. "The Flesh Eaters" and "Kronos" are two other Derann features that rarely seem to appear.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 08:29 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a region 1 dvd of this Bava classic. It's an excellent transfer and looks great.
Being an American import the box label says 'Black Sunday' but the on-screen credit says 'Mask Of Satan'
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that this film is now listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8mm-film-super-Mask-of-Satan-Revenge-of-the-Vampire_W0QQitemZ260204420711QQihZ016QQcategoryZ35064QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC