8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Universal 8 box for full feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Universal 8 box for full feature
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 05:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Just to share a picture for those who haven't seen how was the Universal 8 released a full feature.

Here we go, the box looks like:

-

Box is not mine!

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 05:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... Thanks Winbert.
1 - I had never seen a box like this one.
2 - Had no idea that U8 released full features.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2007 06:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...ua did release a few of the early Howard Hughes releases..and a couple of others. Scarface has been up on ebay twice in the last month...from two different sellers. I understand the print quality is super.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scarface is a pretty good film. The one I'd love to find, (and there were at least a few prints struck) was the Marx Brothers film "Duck Soup". I wonder if this was an official Universal 8 release though.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 28, 2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert! I have "Scarface" and "Hell's Angels", but neither came in it's original box. I believe U-8 also released two John Wayne flicks, "The Conqueror" and "Jet Pilot" (both from RKO strangely enough). Curious that they didn't go straight to any of their classic horror films for those first releases.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I heard that "Duck Soup" originated in Australia of all places, so no it wouldn't be a U8 print. Did you know that just before U8 went under they struck prints of the John Wayne film "Hellfighters" but they were not even slit, just sitting their gathering dust, and this would have been the 1st actual Universal F/L from U8.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Very Interesting" says Mr. Moto!

Maybe I need to look to Australia for "Duck Soup", as that is the ULTIMATE Holy grail comedy on Super 8 for me.

(And I'm still looking for "Hoppity" Barry!)

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

it looks like "The Black Windmill" (starring Michael Caine) was also released by U8 as full length feature.

Jörg

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

didn't we discuss exactly the same subject some time ago in this thread: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002127#000000

???

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2012 06:53 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!fellas i got the full leghts also of scarface and the hell,s angels,i never saw the original boxs of the u8 they are nice and descrit,thaks for show it

regards:
luis caramelo

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old thread I know, but a little info. The Black Windmill was released in the UK by Rank Film Library on super 8mm for hire only and the print was stunning. Other titles were Charlie Varrick, The Sting, The Great Waldo Pepper and quite a few others. Some where I should (I hope) the listing from Rank.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2018 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been kind of fun seeing these old posts from years ago!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC