8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning lines on film? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning lines on film?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one nitrate print of "Birth of a Nation".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth of a Nation at home
in 35mm?

All 8mm and 16mm film is on safety stock.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 11, 2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it your joking Osi? [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking on ebay and saw this.......quite a strong opinion on Filmguard. Any views?

Ebay Item

--------------------
Tony

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 12, 2007 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, that was written by "Dr. Film" (aka Dave Harris). He is quite angry at me for publicly pointing out a scam he was pulling on his members a few years ago. In retaliation, he deleted the raving reviews of FilmGuard that was on his website and posted "Dr. Film's" review which couldn't be further from the truth. It quite literally happened within a week of my pointing out how he was screwing over his members.

I actually bought a Chaplin print from him a few years back. For someone calling themself "Dr. Film", I would like to see the college diploma because he rated the film is in good condition, yet it is by leaps and bounds the most beat up scratchy and splicy junk print I have ever seen.

Since his website gets virtually zero traffic, it's not even worth my hassle to bother with his childish nonsense. He just never could get it through his head that running a collector's website isn't about making money, because he kept trying over the years to charge his members "mandatory donation" fees and starting up "film auction" sections and threatening me with offering free manual downloads because he was trying to profit from them (you can't legally profit from someone else's content) and so forth. Whatever. He seems to be drifting away into a forgotten section of the internet these days. That ebay user simply pulled that text as a means to try and boost his auction sales since filmrenew is haz mat and difficult to get in the UK.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 12, 2007 03:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of this seller before. Wonder how he is managing to get his hands on Filmrenew.

It's unfortunate that he has to be so openly scathing about Filmguard. For that, I wouldn't buy from him.

To be quite honest there are other cleaners I wouldnt use on my films and I would think could cause premature fade Guard and Renew are not them.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And one gets this Film Guard where, please?
I have used various stuff for years, including much 2.22 and Thermofilm. Only used the 2,22 on 9.5, ie B/W, and I think it's done a good job of preserving prints.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 12, 2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Martyn, Try Foster Films. He stocks it but its a bit pricey.

http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/accessories.htm

Kev.

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 12, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the specifics, but the jest of it is that FilmRenew used to be able to be exported until fairly recently when the laws tightened down and it no longer could ship without haz mat. Larry Urbanski is the manufacturer of that product, so he could fill you in. I would assume that seller had some sitting around and when he heard it wasn't obtainable in the UK anymore, he probably figured he could "clean up" on ebay.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I'm fairly sure that it is nitrate. Well, maybe not. I do know that my standard 8mm print of birth of a nation has vinegar syndrome and a slight warping to the film.

I have heard that "vinegar syndrome" can be caused by old magnetic tracks, OR, the glue for the tracks slowly breaking down.

I can varify that my "Birth", while vinegar smelling, is truly the sharpest print I have ever seen of this title. I saw a print of this on DVD, taken from "the best negatives available" (highly over-used phrase). I don't know as to whether they used 16 or 35MM, but my print on Standard 8mm is stunning. It has little surface wear as well, (on the original negative used).

The only sad thing is that it does have a magnetic soundtrack, but I have never been able to play it. A shame, as I have heard that it's supposed to be a commentary by someone who worked on the film, (that was stated by the person who sold me it.)

I don't know if this is on every print of this film, but it first has a "copyright" title saying that "every official D.W. Griffith film has this title" (paraphrased), and the second
title card is a statement against censorship. ("A Plea For The Art Of Motion Pictures"), before then finally getting to the main titles.

Another thing I found quite striking about the print was that it has perfect blacks, as well as the full spectrum of contrast, lovely grays. I have never seen such great blacks on any print, not even a Blackhawk.

I think it comes from at least the mid to late sixties. I mean, it at least has to have been from the magnetic sound age,
OR striped later and soundtrack added.

At any rate, as I said, lovely print! Just stinky.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Although I have never seen
this feature on 8mm,
your print of Birth of a Nation
seems to be inline with some
8mm prints that used lavender
materials to reproduce the best
quality on 8mm.

Blackhawk always searched to
provide quality with only
the best materials available.

I have seen 16mm prints many years ago,
and some parts of the film have better
quality than other parts.

Incidentally, the last hurrah for
16mm Blackhawk prints ends this Wednesday.

If there is anything that you wish to have
from the existing Blackhawk catalog, all
orders must be received by August 15.
Contact Ray Healy at:
heals(at sign)warwick(dot)net

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of cleaning, I have a lot of 9.5 and 17.5 and it's noticeably far dirtier than other gauges and it seems a shame to use high-grade expensive stuff when a second pass is going to be needed anyway. Has anyone knowledge or experience of using Perklone - commercial dry-cleaning fluid - for this?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 13, 2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martyn Filmgaurd isn`t cheap in the UK but a 2 pint odd bottle will last you for absolutely ages, it goes for miles and is by far the best thing on older dry stock, well I think so.Certainly for lubing them to run better.
Beware that some chemicals and even some more solvent based film cleaners can actually cause warp quite badly on dry older films so I wouldn`t mess about for the sake of a few bob when something like filmgaurd lasts so well anyway especially on your 17.5 ones. Also personally I wouldn`t want to mix chemicals so soon on a film with two different treatments, who knows!!!! etc.
Just my thinkings.
Best Mark.
PS also when running the film through some cloth between your fingers with thinner cleaners or chemicals it is far easier to cause scratches if a little too much pressure is aplied if the cleaner is not so greasy. I`ve done that myself with filmrenew even when rushing because of the fumes.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,

I can verify,
and completely ...
Identify,

Blackhawk,
it is not,
but I fear,
vinegar
shot rot

and ...

the warping,
contorting
and perhaps,
distorting ...

images.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2007 03:06 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I do not doubt your expertise.
If it is nitrate then I have leaned
something new.

Some Blackhawk titles that I own have a
"nitrate appearance", that probably have been taken from
"lavender"materials which give the results of a
print down with stunning quality.

Print down films are taken from the original
camera negative to manufacture a sparkling film print.

This makes your print a winner,and at least
the better and best of the companies similar to as Blackhawk Films that I had seen.
Although I have not seen all prints of this title because of it being a long feature when projected at silent speed.

It is worth trying to use either the Film renew or
Vitafilm products to arrest the "vinegar" before
it becomes worse. To achieve these results
some people prefer Vita film after soaking
a print for six months.

Vita film is expensive, but I know that
you should be able to get the curl out
of the film print when it is soaked in Film renew,
and then back wound against the curl or warp.

I have found that using steel reels that are not
warped and used on rewinds worked the best,
and without placing a strain on the projector.

There you can control the tension
on the film and lay it as flat as possible without
it becoming too tight on the reel.

I too have found that a mag stripe has
the potential to gas out to a vinegar scent,
because some of my home movies have this problem.

When looking at the side of the film reel,
if the print appears spoked then
the film is buckling and breaking down
in the vinegar process, and hopefully this is not the case in
your film print.

This is worth salvaging due to
the stunning sparkling quality, so that you may
be able to enjoy the film completely.

Vitafilm page

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2007 08:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Micheal about this being a stunner and worth keeping. The vinegar smell isn't that strong at all, since I have left the film largely open to fresh air.

What do you mean by "Sproked" (or is it "stoked"?) in your last post.

It does have warping, but not much and it plays well enough through my silent standard 8mm projector. I really wish I knew how to post pictures, as I'd love to show you the look of this film.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Spoked is a term as if a wheel has spokes,
and the film does not lay completely flat on the
reel.

It takes on a Octagonal shape on the reel.

-

It is difficult to notice in the picture but the
circumference of the film does not follow a round
curve and it is flat in parts.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 14, 2007 02:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, there is NOTHING that will cure VS. The current VitaFilm product is NOT the original mix despite it's advertising. If it was, then it would be haz mat way above and beyond FilmRenew's rating because many, many years ago I used to use it and that shit was so strong I would get migraine headaches and would usually experience nose bleeds while using it, despite very good ventilation. Check the msds sheets.

On the good side it would appear that most of the cleaners on the market DO slow VS down. That goes for FilmGuard, Film Renew as well as at least in theory VitaFilm. I can attest to FG, as I've done my own testing as well as received countless happy emails in this regards. I've also read plenty of positive reports on FR online. VF is the only one that doesn't really have much backing other than the manufacturer. Regardless I've no doubt it helps. Leaving a film dry definitely appears to make vs worse.

Whatever you end up doing, odds are you are only helping a vs film. Do bear in mind you are NOT stopping or reversing the vs, just slowing it down and masking the odor.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 03:25 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am always amazed anyone would keep a vinegar film even in the early stages. Open the bin and off you go for the odd times I had one.
1 std 8 and and 2 16mms so far I think and one possible but that was maybe the fim type smell agfa.
Thank goodness for Polyester stock.
Best Mark.
PS strange that soaking a VS film in something completely alkaline doesn`t work!!!!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Unless its a very very rare print, I also would just bin it. As Brad says, theres no cure, and most people have more films than they have space for so just bin it!

Graham S

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 11:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, this might not be VS. The last bath in a Black and White film process before the final wash and dry is a Fixer. These fixers smell very strong of acetic acid and its possible for that smell to linger on the film for many years especially if the film is in an air tight container and had not had a thorough wash before drying.

If it's VS the film will also start to break down. It will warp, feel greasy and eventually go sticky and the smell will increase.

For now I would keep the film away from others and allow it to breath (open the can) and see if the smell gets worse or there are any other side effects.

Once open, if the smell lessens its probably not VS.

Kev.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right Kevin, as the vinegar smell lessoned dramatically when I left the print out in open air.

The print, while it has a little warping, still plays just fine thru the projector. I'm inclined to agree that it's some kind of last step chemical on the film.

and I still want to hear the soundtrack!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 12:49 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a dangerous combination to me; Birth of A Nation on nitrate off gassing in in the can. [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC